Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 350351352353354 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 2:46pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hey folks - just in case you hadn't noticed, Geoff W (Far Quirk) has joined the mod team and is a very welcome addition to the razor sharp group who keep things on track and in some semblance of order on these forums!

Geoff has been a long-time contributor of insightful, detailed information and always more than happy to share that with everyone.

Congratulations Geoff and the recognition is well deserved, that's for sure!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:06pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Tend to agree there Far Quirk, when it's too murky and weedy post storm harder fishing to be allowed for, until the water clears so the fish can see lures (not sure of bait response), then it's all go. I'll have a nose around the shallows on Monday then, see what happens..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done and well deserved FarQ ClapClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 7:14pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very astute Mr FQ. Sometimes fishing defies any kind of rational thought, but sometimes your kind of scientific rigour is very useful. I figured there must have been something out of whack in the universe if you and Redfinger blanked when I was out with you (other than me being a jinx).

The amount of fresh water, sewerage and general rubbish which runs into the upper harbour after a big storm must be huge, particularly with all the new development having vastly reduced the soaking up of rainwater. snapper are known for their dislike of fresh water.

Well done on your catch today, mate, 58cm is nothing to sneeze at - 7lb+ normally - and they go well on light gear at that size.

And congrats on the Brown Belt moderator role. I'll have to watch my Ps and Qs next time we go out together.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 7:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Based on my experirence Rangi is generally fishing better then the inner harbour this year. A bit of a change from recent years.

When is your traditional vid for spring 2017 coming out Clay, or have I missed it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:31am
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I didnt post on here at the time, but you can view it below

https://youtu.be/7SiAzcOGkzQ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:00am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:13am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Awesome Clay! I remember how hard it used to be with the bigger fish keeping my balance in my 10' and 12' tinnies.  When you got that big kingy (about 1.05m) it gave you a good workout, and really tested your balancing skills.  Loved the use of knees on the bench seat.  That vid left a big smile on my dialSmile
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 11:26am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great vid Clay! (Liked & Subscribed) That's the kind of fishing I aspire to... Beer

And Congrats FQ too.Clap
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 11:29am
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Congrats FQ, a wise choice having you on board and another of the good buggers on this forum. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 12:33pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Epic times in the 12 footer in some well known spots! Thanks Clay for the great video
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 1:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome work, as usual, Clay. Thanks for posting. Great small boat kingie action, in particular.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 5:51pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys - always good fun making them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 6:33pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks clay!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Space Invader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 8:59pm
Space Invader View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

https://youtu.be/7SiAzcOGkzQ

Awesome to watch. thanks! 
and all that with an outboard smaller than my butt cheek!
What am I doing wrong. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:36am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Mr FQ - well deserved

Great vid Clay
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:48pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 2:04pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Clay - good action.
congrats Mr FQ!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 2:11pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Waitangi Day 2018    7:15 to 10am

First, thanks for your support regarding my moderator "promotion".  Hope I can justify Grunta's and your support.

Today's rather slow morning in the city channel, told mainly in pictures.

* OKS = orange kabura tail with 1oz sinker
* OK + orange kabura with usual 60g head
GNP = Zman New penny 6" paddletail

Lures used:

The idea behind this is that kaburas in the rod holder take a lot of punishment, and I lose a few.  The main trace is 16lb fluorocarbon and a short length of 5lb mono joins to a 1oz round sinker.  The tail stays about 100mm above the bottom, which protects the hooks from losing their sharp points.  If the sinker gets snagged it breaks off.  It caught only one small snapper today, but it deserves more time.

Ran out of 6" new penny and this was the closest match I had (Houdini).  Caught nada, but by the time this was deployed, the bite time was over.

1/2 oz light bulb jig head, tied with lefties loop.  Fished actively when I have time.

These were used, but damaged or discarded because they got no bites.  Gulp lime tiger minnow, rest Zman.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 18/2/18  6:45 to 9:30am

Back to the city channel with George.  As well as the usual kabura battery (2 rods in the rodholder) we more actively fished somes Gulps out the back (5" nuclear chicken shad and 4" lime tiger minnow).  The gulps as usual caught small fish and often came back with their tails nipped off, but they were fun, and accounted for a couple of 31cm snapper, kept for steaming.  About 8:30 the bigger fish started to bite and we swapped the Gulps for Zman new penny or electric chicken.  We got another 5 snapper in fairly quick succession, 32 to 42cms, with the kabura best. Then on the last short drift after 9am we went back to pickers and tiddlers.  The inward tide was running out of steam and the bite was slowing down.

Concluded from today that the rig above may save money, and it can catch decent fish, but the hit rate is about a third of the regular kabura fished with a coloured weight.  Consigned to the very large failed experiments box.
Page  <1 350351352353354 393>