Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 337338339340341 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote groovyfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:54pm
groovyfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Second trip out in the little tin tub this morning. Lost count in the end on how many rat kings in the 5 to 9kg size range with a couple of others nudging a bit over 10kg. Lost a couple of beauties to pulled hook or bust off that I hadn't even stopped yet. Hardly long 300g in pink doing the damage. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 9:55am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Couldn't resist it, despite being labour weekend Sunday. Early start, fishing before 6, same as last time.  Slowed just after 7, virtually only a few goldfish after 7:30 and not many of them. 3 ice 40-45cms in the bin, the same returned plus small stuff.

Had to wait for another boat to launch before i could retrieve at westhaven. Noticed they still had the orange warning bag around the prop. Told them of course. Wonder what would have happened if I hadnt seen it though? bag quickly and tightly wrapped around prop?

No way will I go Monday. Roll on retirement
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 9:24pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 28/1/17  4 to 7pm

Tried the mid city channel and stayed mainly on the city side to stay out of the SW wind vs incoming tide.  First couple of hours were slow, only one snapper caught but then we got 6 in the last hour and kept 4 of the better ones for dinner.  We both tried actively fishing the kaburas, but they did best in the rod holder.  The Zman curlytails were a tad slow, not sure why.  Fish size was down a bit.  Our keepers were 34 to 39cms.

Watched the excellent match between Federer and Nadal that finished about 1am and was going to get up at 4am and try brmbrm's early stylez, but slept thru the alarm - funny dat.  So no fushin t'day.  End of the cricket was magic!
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TA Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:29pm
TA Angler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Monday 30/1/17 6 - 9am

Second time out with the kaburas. Fishing in the downtown area by myself.  5 fish in the 30 - 37 cm range and one really nice one at 51cm, just under 7 pound.  Pretty stoked with that.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:12pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by TA Angler TA Angler wrote:

Monday 30/1/17 6 - 9am

Second time out with the kaburas. Fishing in the downtown area by myself.  5 fish in the 30 - 37 cm range and one really nice one at 51cm, just under 7 pound.  Pretty stoked with that.  

Good one.  Orange kabura doing the business for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:41am
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shot over to Rangi early on Monday morning.  Snapper fishing still a bit tough, only landed 2 around 36cm in first hour, quite a few just on 30cm released though.  Decided to check the berley bomb, pulled it up from the depths and had a school of kings sniffing around.  Changed tactics and went for the green machines instead.

Pretty hard to trick them into taking a bait, but managed to hook 3, land 2, and kept 1 at 87cm.  lots of fun.  Should have taken the gopro, but have some shaky phone footage of them feeding at the back of the boat.  The bigger models held back a bit from the camera but the juniors could have been scooped up in a net!!!

Back at the Narrowneck ramp at 9:30, where the sea scouts had taken it over...  But that's another story...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:00am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 5/2/17  5:15 to 7:30pm

Fished in the city channel with 2 friends from work yesterday. It was very slow, and we got 4 small fish from 31 to 38cms on the outgoing tide.  We were mainly using the Zman curlytails dragged in the rodholder with half oz weight, worm hook, and another rod had the yellow orange Ocean Angler slider - that was best, whether actively fished, or in the rodholder.  Colours were new penny, electric chicken, coconut ice and bruised banana.  Wind was with the tide so the drift was reasonably straight.  I favoured the city side of the channel, starting near the car transporter and drifting out past the Fergusson container terminal.  In past years using similar tactics we would have got 10 to 20 snapper.  We stayed with that drift because the SW wind was fairly fresh in the open.

I've volunteered to take another pair of punters out this afternoon at 4pm.  Any ideas to improve my luck?  The wind looks like it might be a bit less breezy this afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote uncleping_88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:43am
uncleping_88 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Try 1oz far quirk, we could have got our limits this morning by 8am easily, snaps up to 55ish cm for an hour. Also did real well last sat and mon. Also using worm hook and z man new penny 4' and also the mussel colour one. Once the Tide runs it's way better and more productive but slack tide we have done alright too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:00am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Monday  6/2/17   4 to 7pm

Did better yesterday afternoon - we took home 8 to 50cms.  But due to the chop that greeted us when we left Okahu Bay we fished between 19 and 20 buoys right outside Okahu marina.  Close to 19 was better.  We did lots of short drifts and a stiff SW breeze made the returns to the top of the drift a damp doozy.

Orange kabura caught the best fish, about 50cms.  Caught by Brooke, but for positioning reasons it's me in the photo.  Will correct that later if I can.

Upping the weights to 1oz helped keep the Zman curlytails on the bottom, and they caught a few fish.

Def didn't apply all the helpful intell sent by PM, but have lots of time in the future and hopefully less windy conditions where I can try other stuff out.   Thanks to Tagit, Redfinger, brmbrm and Uncleping_88 for some pure gold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:05pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting Mr Fq - one of my intell sources said he was doing ok down there. Must be fish there - well done - tough conditions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:35pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finally had a go in the harbour last night. Caught some smaller ones near the cranes but there were stacks of sailing boats going up and down the harbour and I needed to find somewhere out the way so shot up past the bridge. Quick fish but a good one. They go hard in the current and are in great condition. Half ounce was enough in around 15m. I found constantly paying out line and actively working the dragged bait with the odd flick was more productive.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:48am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice work JW.  That last photo is cool.  Noticed you have what looks like a Zman prawn in the top photo. Fluoro tail & dark body.  They working well for you?  I haven't had a lot of success with the prawns despite their obvious fisherman-catching good looks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:49am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers. It's one of the new Zman shrimpz in rootbeer/chartreuse. I got a job-lot of different types from Anglers Warehouse in Australia. Started with new penny and motor oil grubs then decided to give it a swim. It worked well. 
We dragged the older new penny shripmz in the rangi channel Saturday morning and the fish were really going for them too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:41am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work JW, glad you snared some Z Mans at good prices and put them to good use. I remember you got a few nice fish on the fluoro tail prawns up off Kawau etc in the spring.

A Warehouse has still got heavy discounts off quite a few of the Z Man range. A$7 a packet for the 5" jerk shads, can't go wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:55am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was a good tip, thanks. Spent too much on the boat recently. Will have to wait until payday but there's loads more stuff I need LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:05pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, I'm on a gear moratorium. Due to a number of factors, I unfortunately haven't been able to get out on the water, and can't justify buying anything else until I start using what I've got.
But I did buy in their recent sale one of those long-sleeve fishing jerseys designed for the blazing sun (with SPF50), and couldn't help but grab some more Z Mans at the same time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 12:14pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 18/2/17  7:30 to 11 am

Took my son's mate Andrew out from Okahu ramp to fish the incoming tide.  We had a slow start near 19 buoy, but picked up a good sized carrot.  Drifted in closer to Devonport wharf and still slow, just picking up the odd fish on kabura, either in the rodholder or actively fished.  Tried over by Fergusson container wharf, 1 more.  Closer to the naval docks also slow.  Not til we got to Stanley Point did the fishing pick up a bit.  Andrew scored a nice snapper maybe 5lbs on a candy apple (red green) 100g kabura in the rodholder.  Zman 4" curlytails had one of the worst days I can recall.  The new penny go-to was hardly touched, and a late change to electric chicken picked up 1.  We finished with 8 snapper 31 to 48ish, and a gurnard.

I prefer fishing a bit earlier in the morning, but low tide yesterday was 7:15 am, so the outward run would have been dying if we started around 6am.

Andrew & I have had some memorable sessions over the years ( he usually outfishes me by a wide margin).  Looking forward to many more, hopefully with a bit more excitement, and some (much) bigger fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Solid effort Geoff - well done as usual.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:12pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 26/2/17  6:30 to 10 am

Took a mate and his South Island (Milton) visitor out from Birkenhead wharf.  First drift was from harbour bridge back up the harbour, but no bites of note, so up to Stanley Point and drifted from there.  A very slow start with only 1 snapper in the bin by the time the tide petered out at 8am.  We hung about over the high tide for a wholelotta zilch and it wasn't until just before our arranged knock-off time we got 2 more mid-thirties models.  The Zman curlytails and the kaburas were both slow.  Probably would have been better off with a 9am to noon session.

The Milton man was pleased with the 3 snaps, and gave me an invite to come fish Lake Waitaki for trout some day.  Sounds like a plan!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:18am
Tinca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I used to live in Birkenhead but never bothered fishing above the bridge until mid-February. Then it was over to Watchmans Island, in the 12' Fyran, position anywhere on the edge/channels running around it, anchor and burley up. Had some great sessions there, incoming tide best, and the rougher the sea, the better the fishing was. 
Page  <1 337338339340341 393>