Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 336337338339340 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:54pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff FQ, thanks for sharing that expertise. Ditto Redfinger and co.

Interestingly, the soft bait colours you mention all score fairly highly on the UV torch glow test - except Shiner. I've heard Shiner is brilliant when the fish are going for anchovies. But the UV torch Motor Oil v Shiner is a no contest.

Is that copper wire securing the head of the soft bait?

It's also interesting that with worm hooks you're not worrying about having the hook come out of the 'back' of the soft bait, as I've seen pictured in magazines etc.

Looks like time you picked up a new Min of Fisheries measuring sticker from your local tackle store - that one's nearly worn out!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lucky L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:20pm
lucky L View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys for the knowledge sharing. I placed order for microwave rod from Fishing Direct as they are on special at $320 with free shipping versus $400 from other shops. 

Looking forward to next weather window and try out the soft bait fishing in the city channel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:03pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

TTK - yes, copper wire.  Stops the SP being pulled down to the base of the hook.  If you look closely, the presentation of the new penny SP is crap.  The wire is a bit too tight or not quite in the right position.  The shiner is better.
I use secret sauce, so it's an advantage to have the "stomach groove" exposed.  A dab every 10 to 15 mins.
If you look even closer, the shiner hook is rusty.  Will be replaced before the next trip.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, Geoff. Writer/skipper Paul Senior used to use that trick when bombing work up fish with soft baits on elevator rigs.

As a matter of interest, have you tried using the Trokar 'Flippin' hooks which have a plastic spike behind the eye to retain the soft bait?
I got on to them after reading a Stephen Tapp (kayak guru) article in NZ Fishing News. They are pricey, but great in my view. I think Muppet on the forum uses them too. In 3/0 size is perfect. They have a wide gape.

I often have a heck of a job trying to pull a Z Man soft bait body back off the little spike to change colour or style, and snapper struggle to achieve it as well.

Some shops have them, or the Kilwell website will send them to a tackle store of your choice for free. I got some from the US very cheap, under the Eagle Claw brand name, which seems to be interchangeable with Trokar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 3:32pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quick trip Saturday morning off Devonport. Fishing by 6:15. 3 nice fish in the first 20 minutes then went slow, then very slow over slack water, thena bit less slow but not much.  Wind picked up so home late morning.

Should have been fishing by 5:45 then!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 8:33pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 21/1/17  6:15 to 11:30am

Seems like BrmBrm & I were out at the same silly time.  Had the same sort of fishing too.  Not bad early on, then very slow while the tide turned, then a bit better later on.

While it's great to share your fishing with friends and family, sometimes I retreat into my grumpy shell and do a solo mission.  And there are compensations:

That's Motuihe Island in the background.  Wind against tide for the outgoing, but enough drift to attract a few keepers, mainly on the orange/yellow kabura, actively slow-jigged.

The wind got up around 9am and 2 drogues need to slow the inward drift down to 1.5 knots.  Went up to 2 ounces to keep in touch with the bottom, but the fish weren't jumping on the Zmen curlytails and prawns like normal, so maybe too much weight.

Kept 4 nice snapper 36 to 41cms, and put back a few around 35cms, but a bit spent.  Overall a slow day, bit too windy, but got a feed for soul and family.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TA Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:31pm
TA Angler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Saturday 21/1 7:00 - 10:00am

Tried fishing with a kabura (Orange/gold) for the first time after reading comments on this thread. Previously a bait fisherman only.  Landed 4 snapper 33 - 41cm.  Fishing in the upper Waitemata.  Thanks to everyone's posts on this thread.  Might not take bait out with me next time!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice FQ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:46pm
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I must be doing it wrong, I fished an orange/yellow kabura from about 7.30 till lunchtime and only managed 2 small bites on it on Sat, fished in front of the navy boat for a bit but was dead so rangitoto channel up to the lighthouse, followed a few workups but couldn't hook anything, we managed a couple of baby snaps on bait and a tope on a softbait and that was it for the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 10:22pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Might be just coincidence, but the moment I changed from the Katch to the Slider (Ocean Angler) kabura, they started biting.  Sometimes they hit about 7 or 8m off the bottom, so try bringing it up a bit higher?  The Katch caught snapper later on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 10:42pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like that Far Quirk--a feed for the Soul and family. What it is all about.

How do you fish Kabura. Have caught plenty on this lure ,but usually further out and have never tried one in close in the channels.
Still not sure if i fish them properly. I cast well astern,let it hit bottom and then a very slow wind. This is successful from either a slow drifting or anchored boat. Am i doing it right.
Like the variety of fish caught,with bigger variety generally than from bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 8:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Saturday 21/1/17  6:15 to 11:30am

the fish weren't jumping on the Zmen curlytails and prawns like normal, so maybe too much weight.

Hi FQ, 
What do you make of the Z Man prawns - having much luck with them? Any particular colour?
JW, I think it was, had a bit of luck with them up around Kawau etc, the clear speckled one with the fluoro tail.
I've tried a dark rusty brown colour without any luck so far.

TTK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 12:53pm
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

From my experience with sliders/kaburas the best way to fish with them is to have the line vertical. If the line goes diagonal, go up in weight or use thinner braid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 6:00pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Cirrus

There was a good thread started by Lethal in 2014 that you posted in.  There's a lot of good info in that thread including a very good Herald article.  I've learnt a lot from reading it and will try a few things differently next time.  Catch have a good video too.

TTK
To be honest the prawns haven't been consistent, but I use solo trips for experimentation.  The electric chicken prawn got one fish on Saturday but I've also got new penny and the speckled one with the fluoro yellow/green tail.  They've all caught fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 6:33pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmmm FQ - I like those solo grumpy old fart trips....

I have found Kabura disappointing this season.  I use catch only since the hole on the Ocen Angler ones is so small - maybe i should try agan though.

I need to give the prawns a better go though - bought some, ostly unused.  And thats because the old favourite - new penny curly tailz - or similar grubs just works for me.

OK, Next time wind the alarm back to 4:00 Confused

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 4:24pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shot out last night for a mission over to Rangi. Wind was forecast to drop to variable 5knots, but was still blowing pretty hard. Anchored up with berley and pillies. Snapper straight on chew and feeding very aggressively, a lot of throw backs but managed to pull 2 out just under 40cm. Pillies were getting smashed, as was squid. Tried to catch some jack macs but none around. Decided to move over to north shore side to get out of the wind and away from the gold fish. Found a bit of structure in around 5m of water. Bit more bird activity and was able to catch some Kahawhai and Jac macs for bait. Pulled out another 2 good pannies, before heading back in around 8:30pm

I am still waiting for the bigger models to turn up in the shallows, suspect tougher baits may have produced at rangi...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Cirrus

There was a good thread started by Lethal in 2014 that you posted in.  There's a lot of good info in that thread including a very good Herald article.  I've learnt a lot from reading it and will try a few things differently next time.  Catch have a good video too.

TTK
To be honest the prawns haven't been consistent, but I use solo trips for experimentation.  The electric chicken prawn got one fish on Saturday but I've also got new penny and the speckled one with the fluoro yellow/green tail.  They've all caught fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Interestingly the charter skipper Nik Key (Snap) had his yellow cat drifting in the city channel when our ferry came into town this morning and when we left to go home today.
This morning, off Mechanics Bay. This afternoon, more off Devonport.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:50am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

7 by 7.  Based on previous trip and wanting to avoid a trip over the Anniversary weekend, went a bit earlier.  Fishing off Devenport by 5:50.  Slow for 20 minutes for 1 small keeper, then found some decent pockets of 40-45 cm snaps.  7 in the bin by 7:04am, leaving plenty of time to come home, clean up and go to work......

New penny curly tail dragged on a worm hook and orange catch kabura.  One rod too many today!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Timo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:32am
Timo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one brmbrm. Great way to start Friday!
Page  <1 336337338339340 393>