Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1234 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diverbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2008 at 10:39am
Diverbloke View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome thread Fellas!!!-Just for the record Keith -its just as satisfying helplessly watching your drogue sink from a 20footer as a 12!-Been there,DUN that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 10:38pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Calling all 12 footers. 

Tomorrow evening between 5pm and 9pm looks good.  I hope to launch at Kohi about 5pm and head for Motuihe channel.  Matt at East Side Bait & Tackle (the Bait Station) suggested a new drift line in that area that I want to try out.  Looks like the only window for a few days, so will inform the 12' troops by text tomorrow morning. 
Cheers
Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 11:07pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Friday 18/7/08 4 to 9pm

Despite the "bad fishing day" predicted by the Maori fishing calendar, it was red hot (for some) in the Motuihe channel this afternoon/evening.  Keith C got there first and got some nice fish in 2 drifts, and was heading home well satisfied as I puttered out there about 5:30.  In a carbon copy of last Saturday I drifted beside Marcelle (Aquacat) & his mate, and once again I got 1 & a bottom fish in my first drift while Marcelle & Housa were reefing them in 2 at a time.  Total embarrassment.

Another fishing.net 12 footer hove into view.  AJAY started repeating the treatment that Marcelle had meted out, pulling good fish after fish from under my nose.  I was catching, but a lot of 32cm & under fish that were going back.  But nice to see you out there Ajay and mate.

Marcelle was all done with a double limit before the wind started to come up from the Northeast, but I only had 3 small pannies by this stage so soldiered on.  Glad I stayed because my 2nd to last fish was the biggest and pulled string bigtime, making up for the drubbing in part.

I wasted about 20 minutes in about 6m of water near Emu rock hoping for some of the biggies that lurk there (apparentlyConfused), but got the tail nibbled off a lime tiger, so retreated to deeper water and better fishing.

Going to have a major rethink about my fishing methods & gear.  KISS principle - take less gear, less complicated terminal tackle, simple jigging technique - back to basics.  Must admit I missed a few hookups because I couldn't get the bail arm over because the braid was disappearing so fast - very frustrating.  Overhead reels are definitely better in this situation, but My old Abu 6300 nearly sh**s itself if it is hit hard.  Makes a ghastly graunching sound as it goes into gear.

The catch: 35 to 50cms

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 11:37pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I hear your pain Geoff - don't go fishing with Redfinger as its bad enough have the next door boat pulling them in while you get stuff all. Its far worse having him 2 feet away from you doing the same thing. I was out last night with a mate in Rangi Channel for 6 keepers. For once I used NO GULPS. Two keepers on Squidgies, two on Catch Red Piper. Those  red piper are strange beasties but they certainly catch the fishies interest. Not very cost effective though as you never seem to get more than one fish on one bait. Tried some Catch sparkling anchovies and they were popular but had tails bitten off real quick so flagged them away. Bite slowed right down after about 7.00. On the way home the wheel studs on my mates Buccaneer trailer sheared off on the NW Motorway and one wheel went walkies. No major dramas but he didn't get towed home until 12.30pm. Bit of a worry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 11:40pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As FQ said, I was on my way home when he went out. Left Kohi ramp at 16h15 and went home from the ramp again at 18h00 with 7 pannies between 35 & 45 cm caught in 2 drifts. Short & sweet and capped off a great week of quick trips and fresh feeds 3 times in 6 days. Makes up in a way for the last three months of 2007 when work took priority.

For the stats, no takers on Squidgy pillie; tail chomped off rootbeer; one lime T lost first use and the fish caught on one nuke chick and one lime T. The nuke was still catching fish with the tail gone when I decided to head home. Same place as the previous two visits this week except that the drift was S to N.

To those blunt ones who do persist to try and catch fish in the middle of the ferry lane between 16h30 and 17h30, a big thumbs down. The ferry doesn't blow his horn in greeting and even though you may wear high vis shirts and wave at the passengers as they pass by, I do believe you are doing all of us who stay clear an injustice.

Nice to 'meet' you Marcelle and watch you pulling them in as usual. I think it is time for the twelves to get together over a cold one.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 12:11am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ay Keith - a cold one with the 12's would be great.Thumbs%20Up

And thanks for your commiserations Alan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 12:20am
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

awesome little sub club you guys have got going here. and some nice fish to boot
i will keep an eye on your thread and would like to break out my 12 footer for a fish one day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 6:41am
rocko View Drop Down

There some nice pannies there, you guys just confirmed there can be just as much fun to be had in the little tubs lol..i see only tinnies, wheres the glass runabouts?lol 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 1:11am
JasonEdward View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great stuff this economical boating.
Good effort.
'Tis better to have hooked and lost, than never to have hooked at all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 10:28am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Burp!  Thanks Keith
5 of us enjoyed a beer at Keiths place yesterday.  Aquacat, Sliver1 & mate Steve, Keith & I swapped SP notes and looked at all sorts of tackle.  Feel a TAS attack coming on.Evil%20Smile

Probably the lesson I took away from that session was you need to work the lure especially the unscented ones.  I reckon my cheap Shimano Spectrum is way too soft in the tip to give that action (a broomstick would be better), hence the TAS attack.

Here are some suggested SP times for this week.  The way they are worked out are as follows, and you'll see there is a lot of personal bias:
- change of light! (avoid sunburn, sweat & glare) - also allows sneaky ones before & after work
- avoid winds of over 10 knots, and preferably 5 knots or less if it is against the tide (this is partly a safety issue for 12 footers, and partly to do with being able to set up a drift that runs with the tide) 
- seek sheltered areas if the winds are marginal
- fish between half an after and half an hour before slack tide (the hour around high & low tide is generally useless
- use Windguru and Ocean Fun tide for planning up to a week ahead
- check weather underground in the last few hours before the mission and be prepared to bail or change venues to get shelter

Weds 23/1/08 5:30 to 8 am, incoming, 8 knots, W, Motuihe/Sargeants
Thurs 24/1/08 5 to 9 pm, incoming, 6 knots, S, anywhere, but take a drogue
Friday 25/1/08 5:30 to 9 am, incoming, 7 knots SE (marginal), anywhere, but take a drogue
Friday 25/1/08 5:30 to 9pm, incoming, 5 knots SE, anywhere, but take a drogue
Sat 26/1/08 5:45 to 10 am, incoming, 5 knots SE, anywhere, but take a drogue
Sat 26/1/08 6:15 to 9 pm incoming, 5 knots SE, anywhere, but take a drogue
Sun 27/1/08 6:30 to 10 am, incoming 2 knots SE (perfect!), anywhere
Sun 27/1/08 6:30 to 9pm, incoming, 5 knots NE (guessing), anywhere

Because the wind can be hard to predict, always best to take a drogue, and in a 12 footer always put it off the bow.

I will probably fish 2 of the above times and will give people in the 12 footer fraternity as much notice as I can when I'm going out.  I will give Weds a miss because my boss is over from Aussie.  I can't Far Quirk all the time, or I wouldn't be able to afford to fishLOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 6:42pm
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Far Quirk,
  What is this Windguru? how reliable has it been for you because we thought this week looked like a right off for fishing? Would love to get out though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 7:30pm
Gold
Gold

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=25747
This is a windsurfing website giving wind strength, direction, wave direction, wave height and rainfall predictions for Takapuna beach for the two weeks in three hour increments. It is generally pretty accurate and lets you eyeball a possible slot for fishing several days out.
This logs into real time personal weather stations around Auckland which gives graphs and tables showing wind average and peak velocity in about 15 minute increments and is bloody good for seeing what the weather is actually doing. Also check out the maps on the personal weather station pages as they have good detailed satelite photos from Google and you can see where the patches of foul are around our favourite islands.
Windgure didn;t pick the calm spell first thing this morning!!

Geoff - get an Okuma X Factor 4 - 6kg - great rods and pretty robust as well for not many bucks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 8:11pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Tennut

Windguru is better than Metservice because it breaks the day up into 3 hour parts as BTW says above.  Metservice is forced to forecast the peak wind during the day for safety reasons, but this often more than double the wind speed at change of light.  So days where Metservice predicts 20 knots often have fishable periods of 10 knots or less at change of light.

Windguru accurately forecast that this weekend was going to have strong easterlies about a week ago.  I was determined to do some fishing, so went out on Thurs & Fri evening.  On Friday evening Windguru predicted about 5 knots from the S swinging round to 5 knots from the east about 7 pm.  It actually swung round to the North and was more like 12 knots thru Motuihe channel, so like all forecasts, it has some truth but each area of the Gulf is a microclimate, and to predict wind direction & strength for the whole lot would be impossible.  IMHO, Windguru is an excellent planning tool, but for safety, there's nothing like looking carefully at Weather Underground for current conditions & trends.

BTW - I know how carefully you choose your gear, so I'll take your advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 8:25pm
Gold
Gold

Mate - that just fit my budget from Rebel Sports but it has been good for me. Redfinger also uses one to good effect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aquacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 11:02pm
aquacat View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great meeting you guys at Keith C house. Thanks for the cold ones and the hospitality. Thursday afternoon looks like a possibility boys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ssilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 11:36pm
ssilver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was good to meet you guys (Keith C, Aquacat, Far Quirk) over a few cold ones.
Id be keen to meet up for a fish but Thursday and Friday are out for me with other commitments.
Saturday and Sunday look promising though! Keep in touch and ill do my best to be there!
Go the twelves!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 5:29am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Similarly, was great to meet you guys. Unfortunately, it looks like I  will not be able to fish this week. For all you know, the snappper will have moved - the question is "which way?".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 7:22am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The Windguru forecast has changed quite a bit since I suggested some fishing times for this week.  Possible times are:
Thurs afternoon (agree with Aquacat) but the winds will rise after 7pm so watch the wind
Fri pm
Sat pm
Sun pm
Mon am or pm (but the ramps will be full)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 8:12am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very interesting re weather sites and other info Mr Far Quirk.
I use an xfactor for my inclose work and 3kg braid/ 15lb fleuro. Good rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnny_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 6:57pm
johnny_A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys, enjoyed reading about the intrepid 12's. 
Does a 4.2m boat squeeze in under the limit (I think that's about 13-and-a-half feet)?  Keep up the good work.  Thanks for the tips on the weather sites too.
Cheers, JohnnyA
Page  <1234 393>