Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 349350351352353 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

had the same to day by dickheads full tit no consideration for other boats , fishing a little down from kauri point , home with 11 nice fish around 34-45, nice feed for my mate and myself. o the old boy next door all ways get a feed. would love to meet the dick heads on shore .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:43pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Had the pleasure of those dickheads too back by Bayswater. Had planned to go further afield but didn’t like the wind this morning so just went where we knew would be sheltered and full of fish. Not wrong either with 15 nice snapper in the bin (between 3 of us) between 7 and 9am. Best fish just over 3kg which put up a good scrap on the light gear in 6m of water. Great fun
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:48pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did a late afternoon trip yesterday. Found a place sheltered from the breeze and away from other boats. A place i had often passed but never given it a second thought. Decided  i would give it a go.Sat out there in sparkling sun light,cooling breeze,and fished as the shadows fell. Watched the light and falling shadow play on the brown dry grasses of the hills,turning gold as the breeze made distant tracks across the slopes and down to the sea. 
Surprised to start catching fish. 7 nice snapper in no time.Solitude and fish.
And the trip back into one of the most beautiful sunsets for a long, long time.The whole city and western ranges were bathed in light.
And the odd quartering sea bathed me in a welcome cooling spray Being out there brings a new vigor ,new life ,optimism .
On cleaning the snapper today i noticed something i had not seen before at this time of year.. Most contained small developing roe. Most were male with milt ,one female with roe.
Thought spawning was over. Could finding small roe mean a rare second spawn is on the way.?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:20am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Cirrus, sounds like a very enjoyable afternoon spent out on the water.

I went further north in search of Kingies. Armed with plenty of livebaits of which many soon turned dead with the failure of my tank pump, I pushed on out to my spot.

Greeted by an almost instant hook up and line peeling of the TLD on arrival I thought it was all on!. Next thing... ping! On 60lb in mid water.... Then the damn snapper turned up and began smashing my livies in mid water. This quickly depleted my already dwindling stocks. As I sent my last lively livie down to the depths it suddenly came shooting back to the surface and again my hopes were raised, only to be crushed by the distant flop of monster kahawai trying to make a break for freedom.

Plan B - saw me trying a new technique (for me) of dragging a couple of sliders hard on the sand and I was plesently surprised by both the hookup rate and quality of fish. All fish kept were males and all had developed milt, some even had the red nudge marks. Definitely signs of spawning I think!

Now to get this pump sorted before next trip!

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 12:37pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pity about missing out on the Kingy. But always another day and another time.Sounds like the rest of the fishing went O.K.
Sliders . Are they the  same as Kabura.
Strange about the snapper in roe. Some of mine also had the nudge marks,yet size of roe indicated they had a long way to go before spawn. All bar one of my snaps were male. Now go back to October -November and 9 out of ten were female then. Suddenly its mostly male. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:59pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 14/1/18  8 to 10:30 am - City channel

Surprisingly slow for this time of year.  Spent the first hour or so with an orange kabura in the rod holder, and another in the hand, doing the slow retrieve and drop routine.  Got 2 pannies around 38cms, and then a lot around 30 to 33cms, all returned.  A boat close by caught a very nice snapper about 60cms, mucho celebration.  Later tried a third rod with Zman curlytail and Zman prawn, which did quite well either worked or in the rod-holder, but still only small snaps.  Nice feed for our family, so can't complain.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:24am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Perhaps the nice early start means more spawning this year Cirrus. Nice trip.

Good weather coming, good moon..reckon there'll be some good fishing later this week in the inshore areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:55am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the feedback Grant. Yes ,looks like a second spawn. Unusual.?
So much to learn about fish.
During spring almost all the snapper i caught were female.
Now it has reversed with almost all snapper being male.
Where were the male fish then,and where are the female snapper now.
Looking forward to the coming weather window.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:59pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 21/1/18 7:15 to 9:45 am

Intended to go to the Motuihe channel, but St Heliers ramp looked exposed to a steady NE wind, so back to Okahu Bay and the city channel.  First hour was very slow and thought the water looked a bit muddy, so about to pull the pin and try the Rangi channel.  Nek minute, 3 fish on, and one was 55cms.  Kept 7 with most from 36 to 43cms.  Best snapper caught on orange kabura in the rod holder.  Also tried Zman electric chicken prawn (soso) and Zman bruised banana curlytail (bit better).  But orange kaburas best.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 3:29pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

You too! i.e. best snapper lately have been rod holder caught the same way..I knew I was the weak link.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:34am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 27/1/18  6:30 to 9am

Took the blister in law out for her annual stock-up on snapper.  Fished the city channel and most fish caught on 2 rods set up with 60g orange kaburas, mostly in the rod holders.  We easily caught 2 limits but released quite a few from 30 to 35cms, and kept 8 from 36 to 45cms.  Using a wet towel and holding the fish upside down means the fish don't struggle, and the small kabura hooks are easy to remove.  All the put-backs swam off strongly.  Part of the service includes gutting and gilling the fish and I filleted one too, so busy as.  The quid pro quo is the excellent baking she brings for the these trips.

Fishing, coffee and Xmas mince tarts, along with perfect calm weather - chur.

Okahu Bay ramp was pretty busy!

SS Far Quirk arrives at Devonport to collect blister in law 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:42am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are the man Geoff! King of the under twelves harbour side for sure!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:01am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a great morning out Geoff and plenty of good fish to compliment the trip. Kabura can certainly catch the fish.
Better than my catch which was a buzzing mozzie at 2.20 am on my third attempt to find it.
Okahu ramp was hectic by the sound of it. Any parking left.? Busy weekend out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:16pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Okahu Bay ramp was about half full of boats & trailers at 6am, with fishos queuing to put their boats in.  Not helped by the slow and almost negligent management of the ramp.  One of the 2 pontoons was damaged 2 weeks ago, and so far little has been done to repair it.  If past history is repeated, we could be inconvenienced for months.  Will they cut the parking fees in half in the meantime?  Pfffffttt! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 3:42pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Geoff. Didnt go today-or yesterday expecting a lot of boat traffic. But then next week looks very windy.
That pontoon was out of action last time i went out 2 weeks back. 
They are happy to take payment to use the ramp ,but certainly not quick to mend the pontoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 3:06pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 28/1/18  8am to 10am

Another quick raid on the heart of Auckland fish farm.  SWMBO brought a book in case the fishing was dull.  The fish kept her busy and the book didn't get a look in.  They were coming so thick and fast we were down to one rod at times and there was scarcely time to gulp coffee.  We selected 4 fine fish from 38 to 48cms, and returned many other pannies.

Blister in law yesterday donated a packet of Gulp lime tiger minnows.  These were deployed on a 1/2 oz ocean angler lightbulb jighead tied with a lefties loop knot.  Jiggling the bait behind the boat induced some braid-ripping takes and a few snapper were brought in, but a smaller size than the orange kabura, still lure du jour.  Gulps are hopeless as a dragging lure - the small fish destroy them.  Also tried some Gulp squid vicious orange tigers.  They caught smaller fish and were returned limbless after a minute or 2 in the rodholder.

Another fine warm morning with a gentle easterly breeze against an outgoing tide.

Will give it a miss tomorrow - the Anniversary Day Regatta turns the harbour into a churning frenzy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 4:15pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

>> Will give it a miss tomorrow - the Anniversary Day Regatta turns the harbour into a churning frenzy.

Aint that the truth. It's the muppet show - launches full speed in the harbour, people anchored in the ferry lane, harbour master seems to get the day off too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

About 5am I wrote a post for this thread predicting poor fishing in the city channel.  I thought I posted it, but obviously not.  Must have been sleep-writing.

Here's the guts of it.

The above comes from the Metservice Auckland forecast.  Scroll down and you get past weather as above.
On 8th Jan, Redfinger, Henry and I on 3 boats with 6 fishos all had a stink day in the city channel.  Not a single keeper.
I put it down to the bad weather that came before the 8th, and the big tides ripping thru the city channel (2 knot drift speeds).  The high winds and rain unleash thousands of tonnes of sediment which wafts around for a few days after.  Also washed heaps of weed off the shallow reefs and foreshore.  Combination of weed and silt no good for soft baits or kaburas - they need to be seen.
Same situation this morning (similar wind speed and rain mm to early Jan), also same very high tides stirring up the sediment.

I suggested people should skip the city channel for a few days (Tuesday might be good again).  I went to the Rangi channel looking for lower drift speeds, and they were 1 to 1.3 knots - perfect.  Drifted in from #1 buoy, nada; #3 buoy more nada, and finally #4 buoy (good).  We kept 8 snapper from 32 to 58cms and my work colleague and her hubby were chuffed, even tho we got a bit wet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 2:19pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Based on my experirence Rangi is generally fishing better then the inner harbour this year. A bit of a change from recent years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 2:37pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interesting I think you have a good theory there. I've experienced good days in the harbour then some days with poor fishing and lots of weed. Looking back it was after storms. Aha!
Page  <1 349350351352353 393>