Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 340341342343344 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:32pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah just on the drift casting out the side with a very slow retrieval, 5/8 jig head. I normally drag paddle tails but not a lot of current so the slow retrieval was the only way to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:05pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Decided to travel north and went around Kawau today - as in circumnavigated it.
Heaps of snapper on the soft bait up northern end Kawau in the channel - most under 36cm but heaps of sign hard on bottom.
Two good fish hit finally - a 66cm (12 pound) and 60cm snapper on gulp softbaits (worked heaps better than zman for a change). Then current died.
Around eastern side - skippies and ky off the island a bit - couldnt hook the skippies though.
Had a strayline session inside kawau with frozen jack macks - plenty of snapper caught to 57cm, dozens of ky- kingfish swimming around berley- pannie snaps butting the berley pot - like fishing in an aquarium in 6m of water. Stunning.
Only kept a couple each all day - just enjoyed teh fishing really. The plate was pilled high with 8 fillets from only 2 fish! a 66 and 40cm fish - the other biggie was released as were most fish today.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:33pm
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:39pm
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Couldn't see how to put up the story with the picture.
I have been fishing out of the mighty FC430T since October last year and thought you all might like to see my most interesting catch so far.
Frost fish caught out from port Taranaki.
We had planned to fish for Puka but gave up on the idea as conditions weren't quite good enough for the long trip we had planned.
I caught this in our normal grounds where we were fishing for Snapper and Gurnard in only 65m of water. The sea was a very dark inky color and it sure had the feel of anything could come up next!!Cool 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:56am
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some good fish there Redfinger.  Whereabouts did you launch from?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 5:29pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thursday 25/5/17  7:30 to 11:30am

Tried the Motuihe channel, dragging soft baits and an orange kabura and only got 1 in about 1 and a 1/2 hours.  Moved to a spot south of Motuihe channel and picked up 5 more small snapper.  Tried drifting with squid and mullet, but only nibbles.  SP's got most, and the kabura got 1 or 2.

Great day weatherwise, and good company with George, but the size was only 31 to 35, so would count as a near zilching.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 6:10pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Mr FQ - GIve us a shout if you want to do a quick overnight Tongariro delta session for some mudfish.
Sorry Clay - launched near Mahurangi - pm me. Bit dodgy but if your careful no worries. Especially in your boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:43pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

interesting, I actually assumed you launched elsewhere.  Thats my go to spot, but if I was to upgrade the boat I think I need other options.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (9) Likes(9)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:50am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

After having given softbaiting a fair thrashing for the last 10 or 11 years, I've returned to my old favourite, straylining.

What I have done is apply a lot of my softbaiting techniques to straylining, and it's being spectacularly successful. 

One example is in getting line free when a fish has gone into the kelp and weeds.  The fish in the picture below got itself into the kelp below us and was so obviously stuck that guys in a boat who'd stopped to watch the fight said, "It's caught in the weeds - just cut the line."  My response was a Russian word (ends in  "off"), and after about 5 minutes or so it came free, and then after a bit more of a fight, boated.

And having said for years that I never take pix, on Sunday I took a photographer out with me.  The 12ft dinghy and 2 1/2hp motor don't give me a hell of a lot of range for a morning's fishing starting after 8am...fishing my feet again.  You can see where I launched from in the background here:

I was targeting bigger snapper, caught 5, nothing under 65cm at all.  This was the middle sized one of the 3 I kept.  I also caught a few kahawai.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:13am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hey PJ - nice fish and thanks for the report!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 1:41pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice fish PJ likedThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:45pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi PJay, good to finally see a pic! Nice fishing The old favourite way! can't beat itBig smile Liked........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody good to see you back on the saddle Pete its been a whileClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 2:30pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a nice morning Saturday. 15m holding fish, in close over and around foul. Feeling a bit more wintry. No big ones but some nice eating size. Light leads and bright lures worked.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 6:52pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found a bit of coastline sheltered from the Sw'er this morning. Slower than last couple of weeks. Had to work for them. Tried all sorts of colours. Bruised banana and shrimpz on 1/4ozworked ok. Depth 5-9m.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Shakey12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 3:37pm
Shakey12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

27/06 - 9am - 12.30pm. Hit the foul in 11m around Army bay for a B & B mission. KY and trevally showed up in the berley once the outgoing kicked in. Some used for bait some kept for sashimi. Bite was only steady but the quality of snaps were good with only a few undersized to deal with. Kept 4 between 40 and 52cm and threw a few more mid 30's back.

28/06 - 7am - 11.00am. Similar area to Tuesday but the other side of the foul with the incoming tide. More trevally in the berley trail so the pillies stayed on ice. Bit more action than day before with the snaps loving the fresh bait and quite aggressive on the bite. Kept 7 between 38 and 50cm with plenty thrown back all in excellent condition. Parents and brother up Whanga way so was plenty to share round.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shakey12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 3:39pm
Shakey12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not sure why the image didn't load....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 6:16pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing wasn't bad Sunday. Best fishing of the last 3 weekends.
Was only around slack water the bite died - otherwise kept busy enough. Fished the reefs early morning and moved onto the shoal late morning. Surprised to find decent numbers over it. When the rain and black clouds came over the fishing improved. The white and chartreuse shrimp thing was getting nailed most casts before it could get to the bottom. Happy days..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 6:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice JW love winter eh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 6:22pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

can't get enough of it - glad we waited until Sunday though!
Page  <1 340341342343344 393>