go to fish waihi

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anglebox64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: go to fish waihi
    Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 6:25pm
anglebox64 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi guys going to fish waihi this sunday if the weather is fine taking a work mate for sum fishing as he is from south africa and never caught a nz fish yet is there a few good spots that would produce a fish of some kind and what baits should i try anyone thing some soft baits would work for casting cheers guys any help much appreciated
fords the best F##k the rest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:07am
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've tried fishing north of Waihi Beach, there is a track that takes you up and over to another beach, inbetween the two beaches are some OK looking ledges, but when I was there we ventured North of the second beach and found a good looking spot but sadly only produced KY.  I'd say take as much Berley as you can, then use the standard baits, pillies, squid, etc.. 

Take a rope, some of best looking spots have gnarly decents.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spicey McHaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 1:46pm
Spicey McHaggis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've fished out waihi way quite a few times with mixed success. Usually we go to the left of the beach and 3 - 4 bays round where theres a small beach and a large rock at the end. Only caught a handful of Kawhai and a few lil snaps here. However along that beach is a dry riverbed that has a track leading to another spot (path can be a bit dodgy and its a bit of a hike) but rumor has it that theres some good snaps to be had there (although they've eluded me the few times i've been there)

At the other end of the beach is a different story. Only been down there once and clambered out onto some rocks only to find super strong currents. On my way back however there were a bunch of folk fishing from the beach and had a cheeky look in there buckets and surprise surprise - snapper & gunard.

As for baits etc? no idea i couldnt catch a monkey if i had bannana sticking out of my fly Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:02pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have fished at the bowentown end of waihi  in ftr of the surf club for a few snapps up to 4kg .
Best fishing was at night as the beach is v busy with swimmers during the day.

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 8:14am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I live at Athenree which is right at the beach and the spots recommended alll produce at times. The advice you've been given is spot on.

The first bay north of Waihi beach which was reffered to is Orekawa Bay and the rock at the far end of the bay is a nice spot to fish with a few good John Dory around it and small Kahawai with the occasional Kingfish. Very good place to fish and perv at topless sunbathers on a good day too. The Kingies are a blight there as with the amount of foul in front of you they will break you in seconds. Your best bet, as suggested, is the next beach which is Homunga bay. You can access that by taking the track from Orekawa Bay but it is a goat track and a long haul. It's easier to access and my advice is to access it from the land side instead of along the shore.
On the Road from the main highway to Waihi beach take the turn off to Golden Valley and keep an eye out for Ngatitangata Rd take this until you see the parking area on the right (DOC Sign) and then walk in. It's an easy downhill walk in and a bit of a gut buster to walk out but much quicker and safer than walking around the coastal track. The rocks at the southern end of Homunga seem to produce the best. Long traces and pilchards or softbaits will probably produce best and you could expect Gurnard, Kahawai, Snapper and John Dory. It is usually on or not but I guess you'll work that out as it happens. Take plenty of burley.

If you see a flyfishing boat with two guys flyfishing on it offshore give me a wave, I'll probably be in that area on Sat myself.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 5:35pm
vinny View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i stay in a batch in bowentown in the summer and for easy access spots that produce pan snapa, KY, trevs and kings(at the rite time of year) id recomend led rock, yellow point, or muscle rock which are all located around bowentown and best fishing at these spots would be 2 hours either side of low tide.there is also a handy spot called shark bay which is a 15 minute walk along the track at the north end of waihi beach.

But if your really keen there are some amazing spots up between orekawa and houmunga but they include a long walk.
As for bait id fish soft plastics with a bait of pillie or bonito out aswell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anglebox64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 7:32pm
Gold
Gold

well sounds like a plan hit the beach and hope for a fine day hmm walking hmm might break a sweat and need some beers to by the sounds of it lol will try to cary as little as possible so sounds like my S,A mate will be carring abit o well poor chap may need a carrot to hang in front of him for a tezer lmao will post a reply after the weekend guys have got my toes and fingers crossed want a snapper never caught one on my surfcaster yet hehehehe it has a lot of weebs on it though best to clean it as dont want xrta weight aye Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2007 at 7:14am
Titanium
Titanium

There's a few good snapper being caught off cave bay too. Spoke to a mate yesterday who got a 5 kg fish there two afternoons ago.

Not many Kingies around the harbor entrance just yet.. any day though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2007 at 4:46pm
vinny View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Clark, have you ever had a paddle round athenree in a kayak in january-feb. small rat kings and big stingies are common, it amazed me in such shallow water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2007 at 6:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

No but I wade those flats chasing the kings... awesome sport in shallow water... flats fishing for Kingies... now thjat is fun, only problem is the habit they have of doing macrame with your line as they impersonate an agility dog on the channel markers.... I haven't said too much about it all yet as I am still getting to grips with and have a couple of upcoming articles on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anglebox64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2007 at 8:39pm
Gold
Gold

well guys went to waihi and had a fish off the rocks at the chanel end was a perfect day if i had a boat but owell had a cast of the baits and had a big strike but got busted off seen a 35cm snapper get pulled in about 4ft away from me was looking for my line on his fish but none so it must be swiming around still lol  also tried out my soft bait rod and baits had some good bites aswell but no fish but will try it again in a few weeks time any way guys hope some of you had an orsm weekend and got a bit of sun just like i did over and out AB64Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellowfin hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 9:24pm
yellowfin hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

tell ya what man if ya fishing for kings at led point run your liveys down 20ft at   least  and get under those trees on the inside , thats were all the bigger ones are that ive speard there , in 15 years the best so far was 71 lbs Big%20smile and tasted great, the kelp and rock tapers out about about 40mtrs from the rocks to barren sand , thats were the kings cruz most of the time , theyr there most of the time to guys ,if theres eney bait fish under those trees , thay will be there with out fail,  and if ya dont get a king haha more for me ,, lots of big mussles at about 10 mtrs off the end of that point , and man ill take my hat off to ya cos damm that ground down theres harsh ,, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 9:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

There's heaps of Kingies around now... Give them hell....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:50pm
spearaddict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice to hear the kingis are showing up, havent heard many reports of kingis in the harbour on the Tauranga side yet.
Whats the bowentown entrance like? worth a shot when the current isnt ripping through too fast?
one more thing, where abouts is led point? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lead Point is the last pioint on the Bowentown Entrance before Cave bay...

Lots of Kings aorund, saw a guy get smoked there by two good fish tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellowfin hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007 at 11:11pm
yellowfin hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

rapalla dc 18s yellow and green4 4 bowntown  , bowentown bar is going off at the mo , speard there sunday,,lots of small yellow tail and mullet and kahawhai aswell , a few good trevs taken ,, and sore maybe 200 kings for the day off the point , thay were happy to just swim around me for most of the day ,, 20 to 40 lb mark the biggies were a bit scarse that day how ever