Smoking eel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoking eel
    Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 12:29pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey guys does anyone remember seeing that episode of "Hunger for the Wild" on tv1 a while back that showed that old maori guy catching and smoking eels?

It inspired my cousin and I to trek down the back of the far myesterday and catch some eels. We got 10 and kept the biggest 3.

Now is the bit that I'm a bit hazy on.

On the show they threw a couple of handfuls of salt in a sack with the eels and left them overnight. Next day you can peel the slime off em due to the salt. (done that - eels left in salt last night)

Then I think he cut off the end of the tail and hung them by their gills for a day or 2 to bleed them.

After that it was split them and leave them for a day to dry.

Lastly smoke them.

Problem is we can't remember the exact time lengths for each bit of the process and also di they add anything to the eel before smoking?

So can anyone shed any light on the situation or remember seeing the show?

Ta. Any help muchly appreciated.

Oh and it doesnt appear that TVNZ ON Demand has any of the series available there either.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 12:59pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saw it, but can't remember the way they did it.

There was a show on yesterday where these too surfy chef guys went to an eel farmers place and got some smoked eel. They didn't show how it was done though.

Are you hot or cold smoking it, Boz?
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 1:02pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will be hot smoke Si.

Dont have the facilities for cold-smoking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 1:12pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have you skinned it, hang it in the tree by tying nylon around the head, cut around the head, and pull the skin right off in one go, this is a easy way to skin a eel. the rest is up to you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 1:28pm
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't salt it two long Boz, and make sure to wash it before you smoke to get the excess salt off or ya might become way too salty.Dead
Like us on: facebook/stanleysigns.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 2:02pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Da ling da ling da ling ding.........
that is all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 2:56pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by deacs deacs wrote:

Da ling da ling da ling ding.........
that is all

Quiet down heathen!

Salti - have not skinned it yet. The old buggar on the show didnt bother skinning them, just split them open. HAve skinned them in the past and yeah once you get it started the skin comes off pretty easy.

Greg - the salt apparently makes all the slime stick together and then you can just peel it off. Dunno if washing them after that will make more slime come? I think i'll have a look and see what they look like after the slime's come off.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote drocard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 5:02pm
drocard View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We never bother skinning them,the skin is just apart of the finished product.The smoked flesh just peels off when its finished.Cut the fillets off and salt and brown sugar it like you do for fish,hang in  the smoker and away you go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 7:50pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

boz, will have a look if i kept that one. i usually tape them and then tape over any that aren't salt water focused.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 7:15pm
Uffy1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Me and a mate used to catch eels in nets when we were at high school and sell them to a local exporter. He showed us through the factory one day. To kill the live eels he put them into a large round bin and tossed heaps of salt over them. They writhed around and died pretty quickly. He then washed them off and all the slime came off a simple hose down. They were mostly exported to the Netherlands where they are a delicasy. Not sure about the smoking but this sure was a simple way of de-sliming them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NiNj@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 1:55am
NiNj@ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

when I smoke eel I dont use anything, the oils of the eel gives it the true old skool taste.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 8:00am
Titanium
Titanium

must have taped over it with last weeks fishing shows mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 8:13am
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mmmmmkaay....Im just gonna leave nowDead
out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 10:00am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey CJ, cheers for looking mate.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I ended up throwing the stinking things onto the fire yesterday Pinch

Lessons learned for next time:

- leave in a barrell of nice fresh water overnight to get 'em a bit clean
- the salt trick will kill them good and proper
- leave them in a cool place where the flies cant get them
- don't arrange it with a cousin who buggers off to Hamilton for the week and leaves you to do all the work lol
- find somewhere suitable to let them hang
- only keep one eel each time until I get the right method sorted

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 2:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

found that episode today boz. do you need any info from it still?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 2:24pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No thanks CJ. Cheers for looking though mate Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yammieski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2007 at 8:47am
Yammieski View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dont know how far you want to go or what sort of smoker you have but here are a couple of tips that we use in the Kiwi wood fired smokehouse we use on Carters Gone fishin. You will also find more in The Backyard Gourmet Cook Book I put out last year.
1) Hang the eel or fish in the smokehouse top rack is best. (thin line round the gills or hooked through the gills)
2) Wash and allow to dry until pectin appears on flesh. (pectin is like a thin layer of transperatant white.
3) Just prior to finishing and removing open a couple of Tea bags (herbal if you like) then throw then into the fire.
4) Orange zest, & rosemary twigs are also great if using the Pohutakawa or even with Manuka.
Cheers hope this helps many more available in my upcomming Backyard gourment 2. Hot flames n Smoke.