rock hopping shoes

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rock hopping shoes
    Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 9:03pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone brought or use the rock hopping neopren steel studed boots ..Some for sale on trademe . thinking of getting a pair and just wondering about how they go .??? seem cheap enough.
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 9:28pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do not own the ones on trademe. I do own studed Aquastealth boots and the studs make them very dangerous to walk over most types of smooth rock. It often feels like I am skating.

If the rock is soft, rough or covered in growth then the grip is normally good.

I find a soft sole shoe to be best for rock hoping.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 10:00pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One leg, I've seen similar ones that are very popular with Aussie rock fishos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 11:34pm
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I agree Militaris theyre not very well designed, I brought a pair few years back, was very unimpressed.  They didnt last long and theyre pretty slippery on grassy hills and shingly descents.  Good chunky rubber soled touch/turf shoes are the go man, the soft rubber sprigs are extremely grippy on wet rocks and theyre excellent for cross-country too.  Have a look on trademe, you can pick up a really good quality pair for around $20.  Most of my regular spots (Hoopers Pt, Cape Maria, Rienga, Pandora's) can be pretty dangerous, wouldnt catch me using anything else, hope this helps mate!
out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 7:21am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks guys ..will have a look at them and make a call ,was looking for something to go over sandstone ledges that when has the green slime on is like walking on ice.Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 7:53am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They could work well on sandstone, especially if it slightly eroded and rough. It is hard smooth rocks like greywacke where studs fail to grip.

I find the grip to be excellent on grassy hills. If the slime is quite thick, it can improve the grip of the studs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 2:06pm
Silver
Silver

Hahaha, yeah I hear ya cheef, theres nothing worse than an enscheduled assing up!  Usually happens quicker than a flash of lightining.  I had an uncle have that happen to him round from Hokianga, sent his spine through the base of his skull and killed him instantlyOuch 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 2:15pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I used to use a pair moulded touch / summer soccer type boots. Were pretty good until they fell apart. Were excellent on most terrain but down right dangerous on some!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 2:42pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Normaly just wear tennis shoes, but only last couple months and dam lethal in the mud or slime .. and i seem to be fishing in places where both seem to be nowWink and good hikeing boots are just too dam  much Angry for how long they last once the salts been through them. FUNNY HOW ONLY ONE WEARS OUT THOUGH.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote squidlicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 2:49pm
squidlicker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I bought a pair of those cheap rockhoppers for 20 bucks and they've been pretty good. A few things though, I had to cut through the backs of em to make them fit properly. poorly designed. Very heavy. They probably work better now that all the steel studs have fallen out too. I prefer to wear rubber soled sneakers instead. Way safer
One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 3:23pm
Silver
Silver

Sounds like a classic case of "each to his own" to me Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 3:33pm
Gyro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I picked up some Merrill activesports shoes on special a few years ago, the price was right otherwise I would have felt bad every time I went in the mud. Excellent comfort, rugged and the bottom has grip. The catalogue is at www.merrillboot.com and I would be looking at the Vapor if I knew I would be regularly wet, but more likely the Radius Waterproof.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 4:00pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I own a pair of Merrell Shoes with Chameleon soles, and in my experience I consider them to have the worst grip of almost any shoe I have owned. At best their grip is average at worst they are dangerous.

Reading reviews online people seem to love them. Maybe they were not designed to be used in wet enviroments because they seem to lose their grip more often then they should.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 5:52pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I usually wear running shoes one leg, ocasionally i'll wear my tramping boots but take them off while fishing in case i get washed off.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 6:07pm
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best ones I've had are a pair of Tevas I've got now.
really light, doesn't matter about getting them wet and heaps of grip. Not boots though, shoes. used to use boots but got really bored of wet socks and heavy footwear. But yeah, I reckon it's each to their own.
Don't know if they'd help you avoid landslips any better though!!

(Can't understand why one would wear out faster than the other though buddy ;) )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 6:35pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

best ones i have had on a slippery surface is the asics gel grass shoe..mint, lasted 3 yrs with coupious dunkings in salt water
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 8:01pm
Silver
Silver

Yeah Oneleg my right boot gets chewed out long before the left one (I thought it was only me with that problem!).  It COULD be because of the angle of the rocks/ledges your standing on whilst fishing.  Im left handed and when Im casting my right foot is always placed forward (closest to the waters edge), because its the leading foot it takes more weight than the back one.  Standing in this position for several hours a day with your feet being forced into one side of each shoe cant be too healthy for them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 8:26pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have two differnent pairs, a pair of cheapo warehouse touch shoes - same as JK - which i use for walk-ins that will involve climbing down muddy banks and such. They are awsome for that.

Second pair is a very light shoe like the ones Kayakers wear... no ankle support but are are made of similar material to wetsuits and have a rubber sole. I find them to be best for the majority of situations. Others i know do swear by hiking style boots, but i find them too heavy when your getting them constantly wet.
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 8:55pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good thread one legThumbs%20Up
My "rock hopping" is mostly within our harbour & a lot of it is on the man made marina wall.
I'm an 'ol phart (62) so am on the lookout for a decent pair of shoes that will give me confidence when I'm walking the rocks, particularly when they are wet.
My old favs got chucked out some weeks ago so I went to the red shed looking for something to replace them.
I purchased a pair with big nobbly lumps on the sole & they were the right price (cheap).
First outing was to the local supermarket on a wet afternoon.
I stepped inside the door onto the shiny linoleum & my feet took off from under me.
I managed to regain my balance but have never worn those "roller skates" out fishing.
Next purchase from the same shop was a pair of more expensive Slazengers & they are great when the rocks are dry.
However, if I'm out there & it looks like rain, I bolt.LOL

I'm dead keen to find some suitable at the right price( cheap)
I did try a pair of the steel studded models but they were far too heavy & also didn't allow any movement.

My $200 K-Swiss tennis shoes are up to the task but a bit expensive to wear out on the rocks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 9:26pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Find cheap Warehouse synthetic type boots are the best (Nevados brand or similar).  Not waterproof so your feet get wet, but they are not as heavy as leather yet still give good ankle support.

Normally fish volcanic rocks that are jagged above the high tide but with smooth boulders in areas, so I look for soles with a prominent tread pattern to cope with any clay but with the softest rubber for those boulders.  They only last a year or 2 but at $20 (when on special) to $40 (normal) they are cheap enough to replace when the tread starts to wear out and the eyes rust away.
Page  12>