Best way to catch squid?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to catch squid?
    Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:22pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is anyone willing to share their tips for catching squid? Land based!

What are the best methods?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:26pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yep use a squid jig and a bright light will help.

Best results at night so either after sunset or early in the morning.

We usually see them around most coro ledges at dawn. Excellent livebaits

Oh yeah when you bring them ashore they will unload their ink so dont stand in front of them. Best to point them at one of ya mates lol
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:32pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tell me more about squid jigs? Because I have a plan this weekend!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:34pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, a squid jig is the way to go for sure. It's frustrating, if not impossible to catch one on a hook.

Have used the slow retrieve technique to get them close enough to gaff them with the long handled gaff before. Sort of roots them if you intend to use them as livebaits though

Have encountered them off the rocks and beaches where there are patches of kelp not too far away. They're usually broad squid.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:35pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Go to any tackle store - should have them there.
Get one you can glow up with a torch too.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:40pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sounds like the place I was at last weekend - even during the daytime they were following my bait right back to my feet. So I am on a mission Saturday night to get some calamari. Cheaper than AKL fish market and more fun too!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:42pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers JK - I'll score myself one of those puppies. Is there a bag limit for squid?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:50pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Found this on the net - whats the eye at the bottom for?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 10:00pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats the one Phile, if you want to see how they are fished go down to the wharf by Kelly Tarltons, always seems to be full of people trying to catch squid, best advice if using them at night is to attach a glow stick to them if they are not lumo, which the above one is. A lot of people use the "shrimp" imitation ones too. If you are bringing them in during the day try mush a piece of pilchard or the like in the prongs seems to work very well and if you want to leave it unattended i suggest using a float. If all else fails use the gaff method as fiantic says especially if they are attacking your hard earned livie!LOL You'd be surprised how popular fishing for squid is these days especially amoung the Asian community, they clean the shop i work above out of squid jigs all the time!
Good luck with the calamari hunting Thumbs%20Up
p.s the bottom ring is for if you want to attach a sinker to the bottom so the jig will stay in mid water if the line is tight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 10:06pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers deacs. I rekon i'll do a night jobby.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noobfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 11:09pm
noobfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It's best to use a float to keep the squid jig from getting snagged(jigging or not, best to slowly jig) as some of the expensive jigs cost around $20.

I found shrimp lumo imitations work the best. Just cast them out, slowly retrive your line, if something slowly pulls your line... you've got a squid.

Sometimes squid lets go of their legs(literally loose the legs on purpose so they don't get caught) and you may loose the squid. If this happens retrive your line quickly as you can, cast it to the point that you lost the squid, as the squid tends to hang around the spot.

Chinese or Korean fishing stores seems to have the best jigs for squids.

Bright constant... I must emphasize on 'CONSTANT' light (of course during the night) help lure the squid.... flashing a small moving torch will just scare away the squid...

I've heard Murray's bay in Auckland is a decent spot within the Auckland regions.... a little further away Johnson's bay near Warkworth is an awesome spot for squid... I know a guy who caught 50 squids in less than 3 hours.... (took all of them home for some f***** reason, who knows... a$ians)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noobfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 11:15pm
noobfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

products like these work really well... try to get ones which are lumo.... you can get different weights so you can cast it a decent distance...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote INOV8A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 7:10am
INOV8A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I use one like the pink version above but it has the odd little hooks in the body too.
Like Deacs said, mush a little pillie into the prongs and this will increase your capture rate by 200%+.
I only get it out if I see squid following bait in. Go for the slow retrieve and using a net when you get them in is best as they will let their ink go in the water in the net, and they are then in good condition to livebait if needed.
INOV8A out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 2:38pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I found a fantastic squid catching item that out fishes the jigs during daylight hours - it is simply a pin with the 2 rows of needles at one end and a hole in the pin at the other. You get a pillie, push the pin (hole end first) through the mouth and up through the body then tie your line to the hole  - catches squid every time (when they are around). not many shops have them , i got mine from Norcross Sports in henderson. point the squid at your mates when they hit the deck....
Squid can be gaffed but they are hard work...
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 8:07pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the good advice. I will let you all know how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 12:31pm
Phile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

NO SQUID!!! Tide was too low. Went to Omaha instaed - Caught couple of KY's and a pan size trevally. Giddyup

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 12:46pm
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nice one - off the beach or the rocks ?
Kei uta ngā ika
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 5:22pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Browns Bay was producing this time last season .. cant see why not right now.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Here_fishee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 2:40pm
Here_fishee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello Phile,

I spent a few years in Melbourne and used to travel regularly to Queenscliffe to catch squid.  Sqidding is very popular there and for the first few visits I watched the locals (many Greek and Italian gentlemen) intently.  I noticed that one of them in particular had a much higher catch rate than the rest, so I introduced myself to him and asked him about his 'secrets'.  He was a very friendly Italian man in his later years and here's what he told me.

1. Squid become particularly agressive with a jig that drops past their position.  "this offends him (meaning the squid)" he told me, and often results in the squid following the jig and grabbing it.
2. Therefore use a technique that combines as many drops as possible while retrieving.
3. Squid are also stimulated by eratic movement, so when retrieving do so with a series of jerks of the rod tip before letting the lure drop again, then repeating.
4. Yo-Zuri jigs 'work the best' because of their balance and slower drop rate than many others.
5. Prawn style jigs are the way to go for this technique.

I still love squid fishing and od so often here in AK.  Here's what I have found, for what it's worth.

1. Look for areas of the shore line that have kelp or other weed structures nearby.  the squid use these for cover.
2. Use a light spinning outfit with 4kg line and a soft rod.  Soft action rods seem to impart a more desireable action than firmer rods.
3. Cast out over a weedbed and allow a few seconds for the jig to sink, point your rod at the water then take up the slack until you are in contact (you will sometimes have a squid on by then).  Give the jig a two stage lift from horizontal to about 30 degrees, pause for 1/2 a second then lift to 70 degrees.
4. Let the jig drop again as you drop the rod to horizontal then repeat until the jig is in.
5. Watch if you can to see if you get a follow.  If so, drop the jig down towards the bottom and leave for a few seconds. Repeat a few times and you will usually pick him up.
6. The last half hour of light is in my opinion THE BEST time to pcik them up; particularly if this coincides with the last hour of incoming tide or the first hour of outgoing, which I have found to be the best tide cycles.
7. I like orange jigs best for evening/night time and green for morning.
8. You don't need to bait your jig if you are using the above method. 
9. If fishing under float try tieing a 5 foot peice of light nylon to the area above the barbs and decure a strip of pilchard or bonito (mackeral is good too) to back of the jig. Tie it off with half hitches.
10. A lumo stick will help you see if the float has been pulled under.  Two or three feet of trace is fine below the float.
11. If you are fishing at night time then a little bit of moonlight helps.  Day four after a full moon through to day 7 or so is a great time.
12. I like smaller jigs such as 3.5 oz because of their slower drop rate than heavier jigs.  Also smaller jigs appeal to a wider sise range of squid.
13. If you catch a squid be quick removing it can cast back to the area you hooked it straight away. Often there are a few there.

Hope this helps.  There's plenty of other ways to the skin the cat too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 6:27pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Man, I love this forum!  Thumbs%20Up

Got a feeling squid could be on the table before the weekend's out...
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Page  12>