TT

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT
    Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 7:16pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The TT is looking good at the moment with reasonable water level and colour - although its fast receding. Fished upstream of the old crescent pool and up three or four bends. As usual the tiny lead eyed glow bugs did the initial damage with a couple of nice 48 cm freshies. I am still fishing first thing in the morning with 8lb braid, 2 shot above a barrel swivel and then the glowbug on a 1 foot dropper.

Also dropped a real strong fish that skipped all over the pool. I think part of the secret with the TT pools is finding the one drift that holds the fish. In a large pool you can cover all the water but invariably I find that they only sit in one specific place and you need to spend a bit of time working out the drift. THis may involve angling the line differently, wading to get over dead water, or even doing a bit of air mending.

Around mid morning I changed over to a more traditional rig with a black tungsten beaded size 10 PT above a bead head cadillac. I alternated between these for the morning and found that fish struck pretty evenly on both. No luck with the green caddis however.

Fishing died off around midday. Around 8 cars in the car park and perhaps a dozen anglers (and one dog) sharing the river.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:26pm
Tobias Alawishous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Barbary B Barbary B wrote:

Also dropped a real strong fish that skipped all over the pool. I think part of the secret with the TT pools is finding the one drift that holds the fish. In a large pool you can cover all the water but invariably I find that they only sit in one specific place and you need to spend a bit of time working out the drift. THis may involve angling the line differently, wading to get over dead water, or even doing a bit of air mending.

I definitely agree with that Barbary - well said.

I fished the TT a couple weeks ago and found very much the same thing. Working out the right drift line and timing and placement of mends was key. I guess its a case of finding the lie and working out the right combination to drift it correctly. Seems a basic now that I read it and think about it but its not always so easy when your out on the river.

I found these things were far more important that what fly I was using for sure.

Cheers

Toby
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 9:55pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Another hard day working for Barbary - yeah right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 9:54am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by herring herring wrote:

Another hard day working for Barbary - yeah right

Its part of my therapy.