Kids fishing + Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dizzyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kids fishing + Auckland
    Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 9:21am
dizzyg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Greetings all,

Wondering if anyone on the board has any suggestions for locations to take kids fishing in and around Auckland.  Could be fresh or salt and species targeted are irrelevant.  Really just looking for something close and easy for a quick dash with a six and one year old.

Bait suggestions might be good as well as it has been some time since I picked up anything other than a long rod.

Cheers,
Allen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2007 at 10:04am
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I take it you want to go as its school holidays and you dont mind this weather

Pupuke at the pump house. You can see the fish wihich will keep them busy for a few moments.

If you have a small tinniw then try the wed beads off Milford primary

The jetty at the rowing club has the odd trout about and there are some course fish in the quarry

Wharf at shelly beach - a bit of fishing a bit of a drive and somewhere to get food to warm them up

How bout a boat trip for the day to waiheke, catch a few yellow tail off the wharf then a boat trip home. Somewhere at the jetty to get out of the wind and rain and a good day out.

Wharf at Kelly Tarltons has some shelter - aim for some small yellow tail
. If you dont catch anything and they get bored go and have a look at the fish. Id chase Nick / Bushkid down and make him do some work. He could feed some fish with you and you kids.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dizzyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2007 at 10:07am
dizzyg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks herring, I'll give it a go and see what happens.  Would also really be interested in course fishing (carp) as they are big and easy to target for the kids who have extrememly limited attention spans.  Will kill of course.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2007 at 1:16pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Dizzy

I had to think about this one

I use to fish the suger works for cousre fish. Havnt had the success I use to so didnt recommend it. The best I know of is the ponds behind the macadamia farm out the Kiapara or better still the small stream beside the huntly power station - lots of big kick arse fish there

The best idea I came up with was Eels. Why not head over to Piha. Go up the Kitekite falls track. Drop some meat into one of the pools. Or if you are up at the waterfall bread. I wont take long for the eels to come out.
I dont like seeing a hook in them but how bout a handline with the line through the bait. Once the fish has the bait he wont let go, just pull him up on the bank so he can swim away freely. You have to wait tell this weather settles and the stream clears

You can feed some very big eels at western springs along with the carp. Just throw some bread off the bridge and they will turn up in big numbers.
Just as much fun seeing them as it is catching

Hope this helps DG

How long you been in NZ for
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dizzyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2007 at 10:15am
dizzyg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Herring,

Yes, we have done the eel routine precisely where you mentioned.  Didn't intend to but one thing lead to another and the kids were throwing their sandwitches in the drink to feed the eels.  Good fun.  Like you say, I don't really like the idea of putting a hook in one. 

One of my mate's son, who is about six, is keen to get a picture of himself with a fish, any fish, so I'm just trying to come up with something quick, easy, and kid friendly.

We've been here about six months now so while I've got myself fairly dialed in for chasing trout further afield I'm still looking/exploring for things a little closer to AKL.

Thanks again,

Allen

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 2:06pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heres something the kids might be interested in.  Go towards Leigh Marine Reserve, but before hang a right down a road to Ti Point.  There is a safe and quite large wharf their which has spotties, koheru, jack mackeral, trevalley, kahawai, and the odd John Dory as well which no one can complain about.  Use small hooks and dough balls or bonito and the kids will have a ball catching heaps of little fish. 
However, this wharf can become busy sometimes, depending on the time of year. 
While driving down this road you will see to your left a reptile park, I have never been there before but I've heard it has some exciting stuff to see.

After they are bored with this go for a look at Goat Island by walking along the rock edges and watching BIG snapper to 20lb swimming at your feet!  Then stop at Matakana bakery on way home for lunch etc...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 8:10pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rusky

Is it feasible to flick a fly off that wharf? Or crowds too big?

Nick

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 10:37am
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Durring the week its normally not busy with you being the only person, so yea worth a flick with the fly?  What do you intend to target?  This place also has schools of mullet, and squid at night time.  Was just their an hour ago to see if it was worth a dive/spear but the water was brown, and a swell of about 2-3m coing down the coast.  Should have taken the rod i think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dizzyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2007 at 2:10pm
dizzyg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Rusky, may give it a go.