Eels, How do I Catch em'

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel.carter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eels, How do I Catch em'
    Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 5:36pm
axel.carter View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi what bait should i use to catch eels & what weight line should i use
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 5:48pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eels are bloody near blind and hunt by smell... Any sort of meat, especially bloody stuff works well. They hunt [rimarily by scent and a bit of blood in the water gets them there pretty quick. As a younger fella I used Liver and a corded handline is about all you need....
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 6:04pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eels are easy and fun to catch. Firstly get a chunk of meat, can be a old roast bone ect. Tie a rope around it. Throw in a a bit of berley to get the eels excited (I use rotten eggs). Leave it for 10-15 minutes.

Now drop the meat into the water and the eels would start grabbing and tearing at it. They often rotate very fast to rip the meat off. Once one has a good bite start pulling it in, they sometimes let go but many don,t. (At home we left them 4-5m above the water and they do not let go)

Once out of the water, scare people with them ect...

I personaly do not feel a hook is required. They are not difficult to catch but a hook is difficult to remove.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 6:46pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What time of year is best?

I remember as kids we would just turn up rocks and grabbed them with our hands wrapped in cutti grass (not sure on spelling)
If you grab the tail just pull hard and throw it onto the bank in one motion so you don't get bit.

Man its been a long time since given that a go! Might have to try it with a rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 6:59pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Summer time is best when the water is warmer. During winter they go into a state of semi-hibernation. I would go down and check my local creek now but it is stagnant and hard to see into the water.

If I go down to my local creek in Summer I would probably see a eel every meter. During winter I rarely see any.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 7:35pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool, cheers for the Militaris.
I think I'll give it a go again this summer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deltadreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 7:50pm
deltadreams View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

try a little Lambs or Calf's liver soaked in tuna oil - works a treat.
Remember: it's not a fish until it's landed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 8:04pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also a rabbit skin stuffed with its guts and other smelly bits work well.

This summer we gave the eels in my creek quite a few fish heads and bones. They loved them and really got into it.

If you feed eels quite frequently it would not take long before they would eat out of your hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 8:26pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a note. If you keep them live and then decide to return them to a creek pond etc. Make sure it is the same place they were taken from if not they will be killed straight away by the local family group. When and if they migrate to samoa etc they return after all those miles to the same family group at the same river etc. freaky aye. (I can get lost in malls)Big%20smileThe large ones can get to 50 plus years old. They never eat their own family so you can see little fingerlings and large mumas swiming amoungst themselves...  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 8:46pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow out of it.
Do they hang around in brackish water much? I know a local spot close to me that does have a lot eels, but there is a brackish stream closer to me that I haven't checked out yet. Do ya rekon its worth a look?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 8:52pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah they love brackish water. Just bring along something stinky to encourage them out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 9:01pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm getting a bit excited about this now
I've been on this kick of trying to freshin up my fishing trying new/old tricks to catch more species on rod and reel.
I got my first flounders for about 15 years this year and it was great. Good to get back to basics sometimes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 9:55pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are from a warmer part of NZ, it might be worthwhile trying for eels at the moment. We were looking in a pond in our creek today and my father spotted a eel. So a few are still active down here in Marlborough.

If you do target them. I still recommend a no hook approach is the best option. It is heaps of fun and makes catching them just a little bit more challenging. The eels also like it more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 10:50pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yea, I'll go the no hook approach.
I'll probably be rained out of work tomorrow so I might just go for a walk up the creek I think. Better then sitting on here all day,,,,,, well hopefully.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:12am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Badfish - pilfer an old stocking of the mrs, mum or whoever and stuff it with some old meat, the more bloody the better. The eels sandpaper teeth get stuck in the stocking when they chomp on it, then ya just drag them in, good fun! Big%20smile

Alex - eels are dirty fighters mate, they'll crawl into a hole or under a log so the best rig is to use a heavy as handline and drag those suckers in as quick as you can. If you use hooks to catch em then theyre a real b'stard to get off the hook, theyre slimy and writhe around like a virgin - would recommend trying the stocking method man on a good strong handline.

We used to get them year round in our creek in outer Auckland.
If you want to eat them then apparently leave them alive in a bucket/barrel of clean as water for a day or so and all the filth and mud comes out of them. Then kill them (not easy to do!!) and get hot as water and pour it over them and it gets the slime off. The hot water trick works well, got first hand experience on that one Wink
Next step, skin them! cut the skin all around the neck and get hold of it and you can pull it all off in one go once you get the right angle, amount of pressure etc. I think we used pliers to get a good grip on the skin.
Only tried eating them once and didnt smoke it properly and tunred out average as. Actually getting quite keen to try smoking one again, might have to head down the farm this weekend Smile

oh yeah - crack some eggs (preferrably rotten) into the water for burley. Eels love em, have seen them come to the surface and grab a floating half egg shell with egg in it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:55am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers for the tips Boz, the missus is only 22 so I think shes the wrong generation for stockings might just have to use mine
(Someone once told me of a similar trick to get crays on line....didn't work but.)
Im off to have a geez right now actually with the dog.
I got some lambs fry for dinner so I might take a bit and all the blood out to try.
Do ya rekon fish guts would work? It'd be good to find a use for some of them. Not that I've been out for about a week so I have none anyways....     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:59am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Muslin cloth (Mutton cloth) works too....
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 11:03am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

Cheers for the tips Boz, the missus is only 22 so I think shes the wrong generation for stockings might just have to use mine
(Someone once told me of a similar trick to get crays on line....didn't work but.)
Im off to have a geez right now actually with the dog.
I got some lambs fry for dinner so I might take a bit and all the blood out to try.
Do ya rekon fish guts would work? It'd be good to find a use for some of them. Not that I've been out for about a week so I have none anyways....     

Funny you should mention fish as bait dude. We didnt have any meat one time (back in the day when me and my bro were little fellas and went eeling heaps) so we took some kahawai from the freezer. Got nothin on it. Same spot using beef and straight into them. Maybe guts would work cos its got more smell, who knows, just give it a try and see what happens...

Haha yeah mate 22 kinda the wrong generation. I used to pilfer them off the old lady.

You wear stockings? ShockedDeadLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 5:50pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

get a panty hose and simply shove some raw bloody meat in it and when the eel grabs it all you need to do is pull it up onto the bank as it's teeth will get caught in the panty hose.

i have caught eels on line before but they are a real ***** to unhook and tangle up your line easily. they will also wrap around you hand while trying to unhook them which makes it even harder to do because of their tough jaws.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seacow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:02pm
seacow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

get a road cone and some wire mesh and you can make a hinaki a maori net that the eels get stuck in