LBG reels - what are you using??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LBG reels - what are you using??
    Posted: 13 May 2007 at 1:26pm
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I recently got a Daiwa VIP lbg rod from LBH for my birthday (Big%20smile) and am looking to get an overhead reel to go with it. I've really only ever fished eggbeaters for my land-based so would be interested to hear what you guys are using.
Thinking about a Daiwa Sealine SL30 or the Penn 525 which I hear is great for casting.
So, what do you think guys? What would you recommend??
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 2:59pm
stew View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Both the SL and 525 are star drag reels  great for lightish boat work and beach fishing but wouldnt hold enough line for serious LBG.You would be better off with a lever drag TLD25 Shimano or SLD 30 Daiwa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 3:17pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

do a search back threw here mate there is some good oil.

Stu is right with his ideas there.

personally i use all shimano not that its the best its the confidence i have in the gear.

spend what you can afford and the TLD15 tsm 4 etc are all good and if you cant land a 20k king on one stick to beach fishing, and they cast bloody well the TLD25 is awesome and as i have mentioned in other threads biggest fish we ave landed on 1 is a stripey of 139kg on 15k line,

if you really want to get serious get a TLD 50

...if you want a TLD 50 pm me i will do you a hell deal on an almost new one and a rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 4:12pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeha,
ditto to BA.

i'd go daiwa SH50Hv or TLD 15 or TSMM4, they all cast well can hold a decent amount of line and are tough as $H1T.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote INOV8A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 4:29pm
INOV8A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree with BA and Lev mate, stick to Shimano or Daiwa.
I fish a Shimano TLD50 with 24kg for Kings, for snapper on 15kg I use a Daiwa SL40SH or a Shimano TSM4 (Speedmaster). Anything lighter and I go down through the Daiwa SL series.
A TLD 25 is good, I have 2, but harder to cast then the above mentioned, although they will easily tangle with a Kingi. I rarely use mine unless I need extra Livebaits out.
Unfortunately I don't have anything good to say about Penns, old technology, unreliable.
INOV8A out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 9:38pm
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I should maybe have given some more detail! I have a grunty 24kg set-up with TLD25 on it and the VIP rod I got is a 7ft 15kg rod, so I'm wanting to go to a smaller lighter real than the 25. Not going to be fishing livies on it I suspect, more snapper, so maybe Andrew's suggestion about the SL is the way to go. Anyone else got any ideas??
Thought about the TLD15 but not sure it's such a good casting reel...
Cheers
FT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 10:06pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TLD 15 is very easy to cast as is the speed master, preference for me would be the speed mast as it is a great reel for popper retrieve, if you cant cast the 15 mate there maybe an issue with technique, i find them awesome to cast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 10:12pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

TLD15s are not what I would call a 'good' casting reel but they are easily castable with a bit of practice.

TSM4's I think are a bit better to cast. Reels are old technology but well proven and still a favourite of many

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FNADCT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 1:16pm
FNADCT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, Definately think seriously about a Sl40sh (Daiwa) or the newer HV50sp? (both star drag versions) dont look twice at penn 525 tho. We have been doing a lot of LBG fishing for 10 years and the Daiwa SL series 20, 30, 40 50 (i use the 50 with 15kg) have lasted a lot better than the Shimano TLD 20/40s and cast far better than any lever drag TLDs. the bearings etc are also significantly better and the drag stays smooth and powerfull for many years without service. For livebaiting tho you cant go past a Shimano TLD50!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 5:56pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i use a TLD25 for livebaiting ... seems to do the job very well! Fish it with 24kg, you wont go wrong!

its a good idea to get the drag washers Teflon coated... just so ensure they are waterproofed.
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 7:38pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Bungel_ Bungel_ wrote:

i use a TLD25 for livebaiting ... seems to do the job very well! Fish it with 24kg, you wont go wrong!

its a good idea to get the drag washers Teflon coated... just so ensure they are waterproofed.

come on george read the post.....hes not after a reel for livebaiting...after something lighter for snapper
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 8:59pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Forsyth, I have used both the Daiwas SLs and the TLD15 for LB fishing. The SL has a better design for casting - you will get better distance due to the star drag clutch control instead of lever drag. Secondly, the spool has a "shoulder" for your thumb to control the speed while casting (although you don't have to use it).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 1:50pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Torium 16,duel speedy 12 the speedy is pricier than the shimano torium but both will give you long service if used and cared for correctly..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 3:12pm
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks loads guys, this is really useful advice. My bro is off to the US in a couple of weeks. Guess he'll be taking a shopping list from me with him! (I love being able to get gear from the US, it's SO much cheaper than buying from stores here it's not funny. We got TLD25s spooled and on shimano 24kg rods for about $NZ 130 last year. And so on...)

Sounds like it'll be hard to go past an SL or 2 perhaps.

Have heard someone talk about the smaller tekota as a good lbg option.  I'd not considered it though. Anyone got any thoughts on that??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 4:27pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Daiwa saltist 30 or 40  gets my pick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 6:53pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

forsyth the exchange rates quite different now (pretty much at all time high now) so there will be a few good deals to be had I'd say. I'll be there in afew months and it'll be hard not to try pickup a few things on the way through!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 10:50pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

Daiwa saltist 30 or 40  gets my pick.

Those are great reels and value for money.

I have the 40 I use for jigging and it feels like an upgunned version of the SL40hsvx and without the oddly shaped (and slightly annoying) sl handle. Haven't really cast with it so can't comment on that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 7:51pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the 50 awesome reel and has taken some wicked knocks but also pulled big fish. I fish out of a small boat so my gear is always wet or knocking around.
Just getting trini drag plates and smoooth drags put in mineBig%20smile.
I want a smaller highspeed version now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goindf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 11:51am
Goindf View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I fish with a Penn 525 off the rocks for my light tackle gear and it is awesome.  Its brakes are incredible using the HT-100 Drag system plus I can change the drag configuration.  I also fish with a Penn GLD 30 and a Shimano TLD25 for my 15 & 24kg Setups + a Penn 950SS for Casting Poppers etc. 
A friend of my uses my 525 regularly off a boat to for straylining for big Snaps and probably uses more than I do at the moment!!