Whats ya RIG?

Page  <1 6566676869 77>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 12:21pm
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

When people talk litres per hour (particularly on a diesel) are they taking litres per engine hour (taken off the tachometer) or elapsed hour (off your wristwatch?) Dave, you might like to comment?
I take mine off engine hours, always refuel when I come back in and work it from litres used/engine hours, varies a little (15-18ltrs p/hr depending on sea state and how loaded we are. got it down to 13ltrs p/hr second to last trip with just me and the wife) but is close enough. 
I also run a log book which this gets entered into.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 3:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When people talk litres per hour (particularly on a diesel) are they taking litres per engine hour (taken off the tachometer) or elapsed hour (off your wristwatch?) Dave, you might like to comment?

Engine hours normally KB. We sometimes go for 10 day long trips and troll maybe 12+ hours per day. On some of those trips we only have 1 or potentially no fuel stop so I get anal about estimating fuel consumption. What I do is have a trolling speed fuel number, and  cruising speed fuel number. Idling around when anchoring etc is minimal fuel use. When we head out I mentally note the amount of time we do at cruising rpms and then take that off the engine hours to get the trolling hours with a small adjustment for idling time. I can usually work out a 10 day trip within around 5% or so if I need to by using those numbers and planning my trip on the charts or Google Earth.
Without having an instantaneous fuel burn number from a seatrial or live fuel burn gauge etc it is normal that people slightly underestimate their actual cruising fuel burn by using the engine hours which include the idling time etc. If you want a better estimate use a watch and note your duration at cruise rpm's separately to your idle rpms or trolling rpms. After a few trips you can probably do a little bit of calculus to work out what the fuel burn at the different speeds is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 5:38pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I track my engine hours and keep a note at the helm of hours below 1500rpm and hours at cruising revs, over 3000rpm. We almost never run between 1500 and 3000 rpm (other than in the 12 knot zone in the Auckland harbour grrrrr) . Above 1500 we jump on the plane pretty quickly.

Below 1500 revs I use 10lph , at cruising revs I use 50 lph. Over the last 10 years my calculated usage has been within 20 litres of actual (usually above actual) at every fill averaging 600 litres per fill.

I don't think you are anal at all Tagit Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 7:01pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At least there are 2 of us in this world Salty Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:13am
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

New rig hit the lake for testing in the weekend. Yamaha f115 with spitfire x7 four blade 15 pitch prop, really suprised how well it gets up! Off to the coromandel this Friday
ELITE PAINTWORKS LTD. TE AROHA
CARS - TRUCKS - ALLOY/GLASS BOATS - INSURANCE JOBS - RESTORATIONS.
PH ANDREW ON 021 111 5383 OR 07 884 4331
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 10:03am
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good work Skip... she looks mint!!!

I'm taking the missus to Sportcraft Marine today in Morrinsville at lunch. Keen as to get the same boat ay.

We need to catch up for a fish sometime soon... well overdue!

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeezKnots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 7:10pm
DeezKnots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi CATCHA . Haha I now own this boat mate have only just purchased it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishR52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:25pm
FishR52 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My 14m Tim Barnett powered by 500hp Yanmar on the hunt for big kings last weekend 👍

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:22am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FishR52 FishR52 wrote:

My 14m Tim Barnett powered by 500hp Yanmar on the hunt for big kings last weekend 👍

Simply all class, top Rig made by one of the best. He makes some damn nice offshore RIBs as well. Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:02am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cornf3 cornf3 wrote:

Yes Almost need a facemask on. Only will do this with 1 person in. Any more top speed at WOT drops quite dramatically.

Haha yeah those cats go like a cut cat. They handle well though. I was doing 65kph in my RIB with a 3Cyl Yammy propped and hydro foiled for hole shot not speed, but even at 65kph it get squirelly real quick in a tiller. Still, the bdc's are the best SMALL trailer boat available imo, but they come at a cost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:18pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I just downsized from a 23'6" glass Tohatsu walkaround to this 93 Alicraft Centurion 5.8 because after lots of shoulder surgery the tohatsu was just too big and heavy for me. I've swapped the pedestal seats for glass King/Queen, added baitboard with extra rod holders (6
across the back), Lowrance Elite 7 combo and I'm playing with changing the look of the boat a bit. 
First time out yesterday and love it, easy to tow, launch and retrieve and impressive on the water altho it was flat but we tend to avoid going out in the rough up here, I've had to learn not to go out in weather that I'd have been out in in the Gulf
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:42pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice rig and very practical by the looks. No doubt covered in fish scales in no time!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:53am
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Reel Deal, she's very stable, beamy with a big cockpit and a good sized cabin.
First trip out with of us on board caught 16 fish, mostly snapper with some reds, a king and some Tarakihi. I'm very happy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:26pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My new boat finally picked up this weekend after a long long wait, which included a second boat being built due to them getting the specs wrong on the first one! Have to give the thumbs up to the dealer though, as they put their hand up, and got it fixed without any excuses.
First time on the water on Saturday and couldn't be happier with the performance. It blows my old tinny into the seaweed!
Specs are 605 Buccaneer with 150 Suzuki. Garmin 7410 plotter with 1kw thru hull transducer and GT51 transom mount transducer. Hanen't yet got the hang of this yet but I'm sure it will become familar with use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 6:25am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 3:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive heard that size is the better performer of the buccaneer range. Looks dangerous......to fish
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 4:12pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Engine hours normally KB. We sometimes go for 10 day long trips and troll maybe 12+ hours per day. On some of those trips we only have 1 or potentially no fuel stop so I get anal about estimating fuel consumption. What I do is have a trolling speed fuel number, and  cruising speed fuel number. Idling around when anchoring etc is minimal fuel use. When we head out I mentally note the amount of time we do at cruising rpms and then take that off the engine hours to get the trolling hours with a small adjustment for idling time. I can usually work out a 10 day trip within around 5% or so if I need to by using those numbers and planning my trip on the charts or Google Earth.
Without having an instantaneous fuel burn number from a seatrial or live fuel burn gauge etc it is normal that people slightly underestimate their actual cruising fuel burn by using the engine hours which include the idling time etc. If you want a better estimate use a watch and note your duration at cruise rpm's separately to your idle rpms or trolling rpms. After a few trips you can probably do a little bit of calculus to work out what the fuel burn at the different speeds is.

Dave, whilst trolling do you shut down one engine to save fuel, do others?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steber17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:15pm
Steber17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My old girl is a long term work in progress, an australian made 17 foot stebercraft, my aim is to turn him into the best set up lil game boat, it had a volvo stern drive which i hated so binned it converted transom to outboard, this is a long story so ill keep it short, all the timber in it was flogged out so new transom increasing strength, i fitted a second transom infront of original with a foot n a bit spacing between, the 100 plus litre underfloor tank went in the bin, im working on the cavitys left by engine and tank, live bait, esky being made in tank well, floors being lifted rotty ply stringers and floor battens being replaced with long grained merbau, all glassed in new ply floors glassed both sides, custom seat bases double as tackle storage, my beautiful old chrysler 115 has fallen on the back, im a long ways off been 5 years on and off might go close to finishing this winter, still working out my hard top design, outriggers, home made switch bait tubes and plumbing, all in a 17 foot runabout but a runabout that was designed for heavy sea , how do u post pics up here?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steber17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:24pm
Steber17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dont laugh at the old chrysler, goes like hell never stops coz its looked after, bit thirsty but if it did stop I can fix it at sea easy like an old holden red engine, your whizz bang etec drops its rattle and your on the radio looking for a tow then wondering do i mortgage the house to fix it, plus i love the smell , noise , smoke and unadulterated power of a mopar, i do keep a spare motor though an old two stroke 115 OMC, thought id tune up all you mod con outboard owners before you started bagging the motor of my dreams lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpinnyInATinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:24pm
SpinnyInATinny View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

About 6 months ago upgraded from a 10 parkercraft with tohatsu 9.8hp to an 15'6 steadecraft cabinboat. Got for a great price so dont mind having to upgrade the 1974 evinrude hustler 70!!!
Goes well for what it is at the moment but could use more power thats for sure. Came with a new garmin ecomap sounder and a vhf too so all i have done is tidy some wiring, fit a stereo and a bilge pump.
Now will try upload some pics, anyone keen to upload for me if i fail? Haha

Page  <1 6566676869 77>