Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 353354355356357 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mitty25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 8:30am
Mitty25 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Took my yak to work yesterday with the intention of heading out to Makara for a paddle but got a call from some mates that were heading out the same way with their little inflatable so jumped on board with them. One of the lads managed to nail this 22 pound Snapper, not from a kayak but shows the big ones are moving south. Awesome night on the water!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 9:25am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great fish, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:47am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Anthony. Love the burley cam!! Sensational. Can you watch the footage real time on top of yr kayak when camera below? P.S I'm currently making an aluminium kayak trailer for 4 kayaks for a friend. Will let you have a look when finished as I know you were interested a while back. I tried to send a PM (via KFNZ site) to you in reply not sure if it made it to you. Julian
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:05pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

one lucky guy

http://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/74047102/I-ve-cheated-death-kayaker-miraculously-rescued-at-the-head-of-Wellington-Harbour

chopper and police looked long and hard for hin and it paid off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:11pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

holy fu... 

I know how that feels... but not that extreme! 2,5h in that water temperature ... he can celebrate two times birthday the year!!Ouch

Back from Coromandel ...wasn't that exciting..fishwise ...got a few Snappies around and over 30cm..quite a bit of real babies and one fella with a bit more than 50cm ...saw BIG Kingfish's at two days very close to my yak on the surface which followed my soft bait when pulling it in...luckily they didn't get it...as it was on my light tackle...
I was more than keen to catch one of these fellas ...but with the anchor and berley down and two other rods in the water u don't really wanna fight a big boy like this on the yak...
Of cz when I pulled in the berley and the rods and had the anchor ready to release if one take my jig... they disappearedCry
Live bait wasn't around really...so...yeah...

Really wanted to send my cam down as berley cam...but current was very strong and didn't wanna risk to lose my Contour 2plus... 

Otherwise.... highly recommend a trip up there ...really stunning piece of earthBig smile

Snorkeled a bit with a eagle stingray at the beach of Cathedral Cove ...amazing!!!!
Got my hands wounded from digging at Hot Water Beach ,cool OuchLOL
And stopped in Taupo on the way back for an hour fly fishing session and the 5 smallest trouts I've caught ,so far....

TL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 9:03am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Anthony. Love the burley cam!! Sensational. Can you watch the footage real time on top of yr kayak when camera below? P.S I'm currently making an aluminium kayak trailer for 4 kayaks for a friend. Will let you have a look when finished as I know you were interested a while back. I tried to send a PM (via KFNZ site) to you in reply not sure if it made it to you. Julian
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 8:28am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Jules,

Sorry just checked KFNZ and saw your PM, somehow I missed the notification.

The camera does have WIFI but 15m below the surface was too far for it. Unsure if it would work in shallower 5-10m as have been told it does but alos heard it doesn't so will test it. That is the cheap camera so unsure if GoPro would be better but prefer keeping that one above the water Smile

Sent ya a PM back too on KFNZ.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Another Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 7:03pm
Another Rob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Swellmap shows tomorrow as being good in the afternoon...

Been a rugged few days with the wind.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 9:36pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Im heading out Puk Bay 2mrw arvo roughly around 4pm.
This is only my 2nd yak mish & 1st for my own yak. Just looking to see if i can get some interest as company would be alot safer Thumbs Up
My fam will be chilling on the beach so im prob looking at only a 2-3hr mish.
Be great to meet some of u local yakkers too
chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Another Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 10:12pm
Another Rob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Dan,

Did you make it out?
I was delivering some gear over to Palmerston North, so fishing was out for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:46pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yea Rob made it out around 3pm. Conds were a bit sloppy still at that stage but still gave it a jam. Didnt go out as far as i would have liked so ended up anchoring up with burley around 6mtr mark lol.
Ended up with a wrasse,carpet shark & a crayfish.
Crayfish leg snapped off & he fell back in the water so that kind of summed up the day hahaha. A nice little fry up on the beach with the fam afterwards was a great way to end the day Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:31am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check out this bad boy. One of my mates went out yesterday morning and hooked this fella, and lost 3 others prior to landing this.

Went 24.3lb and swallowed the hook.

If your a facebook person, give the 'Wellington Kayak Fishing' page a like (Search for it or try http://www.facebook.com/fishoyaka/)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:54am
Gold
Gold

Harbour or west coast? Great fish.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:49pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

He was out west MF.

He landed a 16lber earlier this year too so bet his PB by a good 8lb!!

I'm only at 11lb so far but each season I have bet my previous best so here's hoping (the 11lb was the last snap I caught, back in April)

Always seems to be big ones at the start of the season (oct-dec) and towards the end of the season (around april)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 11:25pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one!!

In the shallows?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 7:59am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by rudini33 rudini33 wrote:

Nice one!!

In the shallows?

Don't know exactly, I had to be in the office so couldn't join him this time Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:13pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by xtreamz xtreamz wrote:

I'm only at 11lb so far but each season I have bet my previous best so here's hoping (the 11lb was the last snap I caught, back in April) Always seems to be big ones at the start of the season (oct-dec) and towards the end of the season (around april) 

You did well last season - let's hope it continues this summer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:42pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by xtreamz xtreamz wrote:

[QUOTE=rudini33]Nice one!!

In the shallows?

Don't know exactly, I had to be in the office so couldn't join him this time Cry
[/QUOTE

know exactly what u mean... work 11 days straight :( ... and it was a good window for fishing... but not much we can do about it , ay?!!Ouch

TL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:55am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I was happy last season MF! Stopped keeping any pannies as had had enough and just caught them for fun the last couple months LOL (except the 11lb I kept).

Just got to hope it's fine when the day with no work comes Rudini! This weekends not looking flash, but that's ok as i'm working + xmas shopping to be done. Hopefully next week sat morning is fine as will be my next window of availability!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 4:58pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there. Anthony I went out Sunday as mentioned  but just missed yr mate. Another member that I ended fishing with had a chat with him tho. The guy that I was with ended up falling out of his Yak and struggled to get back in. He gave us a yell and I rushed over and we got him back on eventually. Lost his FF but retrieved it. Two rods and reels were not so lucky but he lives to fish another day thats the main thing. I have fallen out once and it gave me a bit of a fright. I think we all should practice our drills to and a get back on after turtling! 
My fishing was a nightmare on this occasion. Wasn't meant to be- Big tangles, lost fish getting caught in anchor rope, hook in finger etc Doh! All I landed was a school shark which was a fun fight. All good won't stop me trying again as I know they are there Smile Yr mates big red was a stonker! Good on him!
P.s I hope you can manage to get out soon. Cheers

Page  <1 353354355356357 380>