Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 342343344345346 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:07pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My yak arrived today, Just finished installing the fish finder, was a little fiddly but all good now (don't drop the little nut mounting the battery bracket in-hull and would go much smoother)...

Keen as beans to get out for my first paddle, so if anyone is heading out over long weekend and don't mind a newb tagging along... Hit me up Wink

Got a VHF, PLB, Decent PFD and what not, know my seas pretty well too, but for first paddle would love to tag along with someone if they don't mind... Rather be safe than sorry eh

Also anyone know where I can pick up the HD Saddle & Screws kit for running rigs or the Screws for starport S/Steel for Viking 400 threaded inserts in Wellington? Don't think they will arrive in time if i order online.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:43pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go to Burnsco Ozz, they should have them (maybe call first if you live far away). I got my running rig wheel things from them.

Got out for a couple hours tonight. Been wanting to beat my pb of 10lb and I done it tonight! once I had him, I headed home, was really flat and calm out there too. Gotta try get my hook back outta him when I fillet him...rig is still sticking out his mouth as he chomped the bait down good :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:58pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice PB bro ;)

Ill give em a call I think, viking yaks have pre-mounted threads in a lot of locations for starports and running rigs, ect... I'm just after the screws and saddles. Don't want to go drilling a bunch of holes when I don't need to...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:32am
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ozz.
If you have the inserts already then I believe you need m5 ss screws to fit them.
If Burnsco don't have them then try coastal fasteners or one of their competitors
Are you the same Ozz I met with Scuzzy, Moke fishing a couple or three years ago>?
"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:53am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

as above try coastal fasteners Abel smith street they have a huge range of screws/nuts/bolts etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 10:59am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by jaypeegee jaypeegee wrote:

Ozz.
If you have the inserts already then I believe you need m5 ss screws to fit them.
If Burnsco don't have them then try coastal fasteners or one of their competitors
Are you the same Ozz I met with Scuzzy, Moke fishing a couple or three years ago>?

Hey Jeremy!

Wondered if you existed still. Heard in the grape vine a while abck you were getting a yak, you all sorted and into the action yet? Will have to catch up.

Oh and it is the same Ozz. Caught up with him last fri night when I was surfcasting and talked about all the old people like yourself who use to be on the sufcasting forum, and heard some storied about Jordans red cod trophy Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 12:57pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by xtreamz xtreamz wrote:

Originally posted by jaypeegee jaypeegee wrote:

Ozz.

Hey Jeremy!

Wondered if you existed still. Heard in the grape vine a while abck you were getting a yak, you all sorted and into the action yet? Will have to catch up.

Oh and it is the same Ozz. Caught up with him last fri night when I was surfcasting and talked about all the old people like yourself who use to be on the sufcasting forum, and heard some storied about Jordans red cod trophy Wink

Hey Antz
Yep. It is still dubious as to whether I exist at all
Yup. I have a couple of scramblers. Bought for pootling with my son.
Have fished of one reasonably OK but am aware of it's shortcomings re space and speed so have stayed within the safety of the harbour.

Love to catch up. Have been yakking alone and wondering how inefficient I am being in remaining so.
Prolly not gonna go too wide just yet as still in conservative mode re mine and the scramblers limitations. Having a chance to watch and learn is welcomed if on the table
Happy Easter bro

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:16pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

^^ What Antz said... Haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:28pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looked around a few shops for the screws and saddles, and resorted to ordering them off the Viking website lol... 

If weather gets better and people planning to get out for a paddle I'll pop into the shop you mentioned and get the running rig on so I can at least get out for a fish...

Oh and if anyone is interested FCO is currently having a going out of business sale, 40-80% off everything... Had some good ice boxes and what not for cheap, yaks down from 1500 to like 700 and the likes... Can't beat 40% off for terminal tackle either, think most the reels have gone, cabinet was looking pretty bare haha...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:24am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep an eye on here Jeremy and ill post when i'm next planning a fish.

Yeah FCO looking pretty empty now. Bought some more hooks though so saved a few buck there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:24pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Easter was quiet here - this was brunch for me and Bruce the cat on Monday..

Its a Kayak Thing...You wouldn't understand!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:55pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Trev there nodrog, they're always good fun on light tackle.

Anyone thinking of getting out tomorrow? Weather looks pretty good tomorrow arvo, I might try and get out for a harbor paddle if anyone's keen?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:11pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Popped my yak cherry this arvo, was heaps of fun Smile Got out for a couple hrs off Kau bay, nothing spectacular in the fish department, few small tics and a few yakkas. I didn't take any burly due to only really going for a test run kinda thing so wasn't expecting much in the fish department.

Keen to get out with some other people and check my paddling efficiency as I have nothing to compare it to, I recon I did pretty well for a first paddle anyways (only took about 2mins from Kau Point to Point Haslwell).

Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to get yak on and off the roof racks easily?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 8:14pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi pukerua bay a nice place to be this arvo

Its a Kayak Thing...You wouldn't understand!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 8:22pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by nodrog nodrog wrote:

hi pukerua bay a nice place to be this arvo

Yep Puk Bay delivered today on the snaps. Marathon filleting session.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:32pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish Nodog!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Another Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:19pm
Another Rob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Ozz...

What type of vehicle do you have and what kayak are you trying to put on it?

Rob
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:57pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Rob,

I have a Toyota Surf and Viking 400... I just picked up a cheap loader bar off trademe, I'll see how that goes, but any tips are welcomed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Another Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 10:47pm
Another Rob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

ok...
I've got a L200 ute with canopy and roof racks. I'm about 5' 7" 175cm so not huge.

With my Reload, I have the metal handles on each side... I don't think the 400 has those do they?

Using the handles I can lift the Reload above my head. When moving I let the kayak sit on my head (seat removed).
I approach the roof rack from the side of the vehicle.  When my body is beside the ute, l lift the kayak up as high as possible. I then tilt my arms and place a side of the kayak onto the roof racks and slide it towards the other side of the vehicle, until the second side of the kayak fits on too.

With my old kayak I had to pick it up by a rope on each side... this gave less control and cut into my hands a bit. It was a fair bit heavier than the Reload too.

I would slide it on from the back of the ute and either manage to keep sliding it on or place the stern on the ground, walk to the back, pick it up again and carry on sliding it up towards the front of the ute. (I had a metal strip at the back of the old kayak that stopped the plastic getting scratched)

Hope that helps...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 11:59am
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the tips/info Rob,

Yeah the 400 has rope/plastic type handles and have a funny feeling your method of loading the yak might be pretty harsh on my fingers Ermm

I'm 6'3" so height isn't my problem, it's more holding it stable while getting it up over the kayak saddles.

I grabbed one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks-canoes/other/auction-873405406.htm so I'll see how that goes. Hopefully I can meet up with some forum members and wont be heading out by myself too often, always safer with a buddy anyways.
Page  <1 342343344345346 380>