Battery powerd Kontikis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery powerd Kontikis
    Posted: 15 Jul 2003 at 9:25pm
Thunder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi

I am after a plans or designs tips etc for battery powered Kontikis living on the westcoast doing a lot of Surfcasting and rock fishing was wanting to try Kontiki but battery powered, I heard of one you can make one using tube and a car wiper blade motor ????

Can any one help ????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2003 at 11:11pm
Woody View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Thunder,

Did you see the episode on Gone Fishing last year that had an electric powered contiki from a piece of waste pipe, with a rugby ball stuffed in the front, a timer.

It looked OK. It was there mark 4 or 5 version so I guess continual experimentation is required to get it working properly.

There was also a brief article in one of the fishing mags about five or six months back.

Sorry I havent got any specifics for you but someone on here will know more.

Good luck on the Project

Woody

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 8:00am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Electric powered contikis are damn expensive for what they are if you're going to buy one... I reckon they'd be a piece of piss too make. A mate and I have been talking about making one and throwing a servo from a radio controlled car in there so we could steer it.

Of course there'd be a fair bit of mucking about to get the thing running properly and everything.

The thing that worries me is what happens if you set it out and some bastard comes roaring through in his boat and cuts the line.
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonykati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2004 at 12:41pm
tonykati View Drop Down
New User
New User

KingfishSi,

I agree with you.The risk of somebody running over the line is too great when you look at the cost of Electric kontikis.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2004 at 5:27pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hiya Thunder,

You can buy the genuine Motorguide 30lb thrust 12 volt kontiki motors from Underwood & Wilkins Marine in Whakatane for about $300.00. They usually have a small add in the back pages of NZ Fishing News magazine with more details.

You will also need a timer mechanism/circuit, a battery management circuit (so you don't stuff those expensive GelCells by over discharging), and an intelligent type battery charger so you get maximum charge & long life out of those GelCells. Everything must also be completely water and corosion proof.

Keep in mind that there are only about 4 beaches without foul bottom that are suitable for long line fishing between Mokau and New Plymouth.

I've fished these areas with kite long lines over the years, and would think twice about risking an electric kontiki without having a recovery kayak as a backup measure.

Best of luck.

DogFish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2004 at 5:38pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i reckon the building and experimenting would be as much fun or more then fishing with one! ah tinkering in the old workshop. wish i still had one. and darryl, gubbins etc keep your minds outta the gutter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2004 at 7:09pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought apart from an accidental cut off by a boatie,the longline that i have has the traces as the weakest link,and if one snags,it's easily busted off,am i wrong in this thinking? and plus of course,most come with a warning flag or pennant of some sort,and i know one brand of electric kontiki, has a strobe light fitted to it as a extra safety item..in what scenario would it otherwise become stuck? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2004 at 9:45pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi SF,

On a foul bottom the mainline itself can be cut by sharp rocks or jammed in crevices or between rocks by the stopper knots, swivels, crimps or sinkers on the backbone. A sliding float arrangement can help to prevent this happening by lifting the backbone section clear of the bottom during retrieval.

DogFish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2004 at 8:55pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i'd ask around 1st, as to the likelyhood of finding rocky foul bottom just where you plan to set it out.a risk i suppose using it anywhere,but a known safe or sandy bottom, must lessen the odds... Pauls kite fishing site had a part on it someplace,where people send in known snags or trouble spots where perhaps they've been snagged themselves,so they kindly warn others.