Rigged Kayak photo's

Page  <1 2425262728 33>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dryfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:59pm
Dryfly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bush, a photo of my viking Tempo for you, You will note the homemade cover on rear, which works well to keep the catch out of the sun. One rodholder rear/left of the seat (which is a pain to have to reach to) and one adjustable rod holder infront of my feet. I want another "Easy to reach" rodholder in front of the seat on the right hand side of Kayak.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McKoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 11:17pm
McKoy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like a nice and simple setup.. one question though... does the dark colour on the back cover not heat up? (no offence intended, the cover I made looks identical, although I added a layer of snowfoam) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dryfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 9:48pm
Dryfly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mckoy,
I suppose, under extreme heat it might. I tend to head out for a few hours at each end of the day, so the heat is mostly gone. If heading out for a mid day fish I would probably just throw some salt ice in the cavity (with drain holes pluged up)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kai yak fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 9:49pm
kai yak fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice setup there dryfly, well done on the back cover! I cant understand why yak makers still put rod holders behind the seat, a real pain the bum. have you tried geting the rod out with a decent fish on? not good! I fabricated an ali bar that mounts to either side of my yak and over my legs just below my knees. it fits 3 fully ajustable rod holders that fold flat down the sides of my yak with rods still in so theres no chance of a snaped rod in the surf. can post a pic if you like. made all the bits my self out of scrap , cost me 30 bucks to get it welded. i have removed all factory rod holders now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dryfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 9:54pm
Dryfly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Kai Yak, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I get real sick of reaching around behind me to pull the rod out, have since added another rod holder on the right hand side of Yak (on the deck) by my knee. Please post a pic of your setup, keen to view.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kai yak fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 9:57pm
kai yak fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey just remembered, my yak is back on page 22 down the bottom.  
You cant catch a fish if your lines not in the water!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 1:39pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Chilly Bin For Prowler 13 and Elite 4.5

Here is a cheap solution for hot weather fish storage.    The Willow brand 55lt bin fits perfectly in the rearwells of the above Prowlers.     Detail of how to fit latches and attachment system are outlined below.   

Toggle Latch
1. Buy two 65mm Stainless toggle latches (DZUS Latch)
2. Buy tube of Selley's plastic super glue with primer
3. Cut out of 3mm plastic sheet as a reinforcing plate for each component
4. Mark out area where latches are to go
5. Sand that area. Also sand plastic bases
6. Apply primer to both areas but glue only to one side.
7. Glue in place.
8. Carefully mark final positon of latch and fastening hook
9. Drill one 1mm hole and secure latch with one 3x15mm SS screw.
10. Check that all is in the right place for it to work OK and fasten the rest.

Tie Downs
1. Drill two 4mm holes in white skirt of bin.  See photo
2. Cut a 60cm lenght of 3mm Nylon cord
3. Lever the skirt off the blue base just enough to poke both ends of cord in the respective holes
4. Pull ends of cord out with a pair of needle nosed pliers
5. Knot ends together and poke knot back under skirt.

You now have a tiedown loop.   Repeat on opposite side.

You can either tie these down on the safety cords on either side or use my method of getting a large s/s split washer welded on the screws that hold the well bungies.     I use those ringed heads to tie the bin down on both sides.   It is so secure that I can lift the rear of the kayak by the bin handle.    

As you can see I bought this bin on Special but even normal retail it is a very cheap method of keeping fish cool.    I place a frozen 3lt milk bottle in it before I go out and also put in a couple of litres of salt water to surround the fish with ice cold water. 

Rainbow   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote plastic tiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:29pm
plastic tiki View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice work rainbow, i'll be on the hunt for that bin for next summerThumbs Up
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:07pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

have gone away from the chilly bin and moved back to a bag just found that the bin was not big enough and difficult to fit things in where as a bag has movement and give
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:30pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Depends on the size of the bin.   55lt is big enough for me but then again you probably catch more and bigger fish than I?.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a look at the bin after you informed us Rainbow and I also don't find it practical for me either but fair play to ya its definetly the best way to keep a catch fresh on ice on the water. I have never had an issue with keeping a fish under the rear cover myself they are normally on ice within 2-4 hours after being caught mostly first thing in the morning on the way home grab some ice easy as but I could imagine it being a bit more difficult in the Naki to get ice 5 mins from your launch site???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:49pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I have never had an issue with keeping a fish under the rear cover myself they are normally on ice within 2-4 hours after being caught mostly first thing in the morning on the way home grab some ice easy as but I could imagine it being a bit more difficult in the Naki to get ice 5 mins from your launch site???

Yeah, it takes the mule about 30minutes to do 5k with a couple of yaks on the cart and that's if he doesn't get stubborn and go the wrong way. If you belt him too hard he takes off and the wheels fall off the cart. Our biggest problem is getting the ice from Auckland, sometimes we have to wait weeks for it to arrive.Wink

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 4:18pm
Screaming Reels View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thoroly enjoyed reading this thread not into kayak fishing myself as never done it. Looks like fun.Do you guys carry spare paddles and is the yak put on roof of car silly questions i know but got to ask.
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 4:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Naki man Naki man wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I have never had an issue with keeping a fish under the rear cover myself they are normally on ice within 2-4 hours after being caught mostly first thing in the morning on the way home grab some ice easy as but I could imagine it being a bit more difficult in the Naki to get ice 5 mins from your launch site???

Yeah, it takes the mule about 30minutes to do 5k with a couple of yaks on the cart and that's if he doesn't get stubborn and go the wrong way. If you belt him too hard he takes off and the wheels fall off the cart. Our biggest problem is getting the ice from Auckland, sometimes we have to wait weeks for it to arrive.Wink

Oh listen to me the bloody ponsy coffee sipping JAFALOL Wink Just make sure you clear up any droppings off the road eh you Naki boysLOL

I was asking a legitimate question though.Wink  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 5:05pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

dont have ice issues as work for a refrigeration company and we have 2 ice machines going full tit 24/7 crushed and cubed Thumbs Up. work sucks, pay is crap but think of the benefits LOL got a big chilly and fished with it for quite a while but went back to the bag, it's all personal preference 

Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 5:09pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi snapper shagger I would say no most dont carry spare paddles they dont tend to break and we tether them on. Most guys carry their yaks on the roof of their cars and I slide mine in my toyota Hiace van.
I actually have this Willow 55l chilli bin but unfortunately it would sit really high on the swing as it does not fit in the rear well area. The pod does heat up in summer and im using a coolie bag inside it now. Im keeping a chilli bin back in the van with salt ice for my fish when I get back in.
Was wondering about a Penguin kayak coolie bag. Would this contain all blood n guts ? Or shall I just wait untill the new Prowler 13 comes out Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 5:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair enuff nubee LOL 

Snapper Shagger I don't carry a spare paddle but most on here would have theirs leashed on to the yak when going out I certainly do. And yeah I carry my yak on my car roof which is why I got such a nice car for that jobWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flowrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 7:00pm
Flowrider View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by piwikiwi piwikiwi wrote:

Hi snapper shagger I would say no most dont carry spare paddles they dont tend to break and we tether them on. Most guys carry their yaks on the roof of their cars and I slide mine in my toyota Hiace van.
I actually have this Willow 55l chilli bin but unfortunately it would sit really high on the swing as it does not fit in the rear well area. The pod does heat up in summer and im using a coolie bag inside it now. Im keeping a chilli bin back in the van with salt ice for my fish when I get back in.
Was wondering about a Penguin kayak coolie bag. Would this contain all blood n guts ? Or shall I just wait untill the new Prowler 13 comes out Tongue
I have found my kayak coolie bag leaks out the zip and seams, it is not completely sealed. I do the same as you, keep a chilly bin in the car full of ice for when I get back. I transfer the fish from the bag then wash the bag out to clean the blood and stuff off so it doesn't stink out the car.
Like you I also paddle a Swing, but I don't use the pod. I just keep the coolie bag in the back of the yak and pull it around when I need it. It is not ideal but the best method I can work out, for me anyway. Gets a bit heavy at times when the fishing is good though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:30am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks Flowrider. Does anybody know of an off the shelf chilli bin that is about half height but a bigger base than standard ones. This would be better for yaks to keep windage and centre of gravity down.
Of course now its cooling down its not so much of an issue keeping the catch cold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:14pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Broke my paddle on the weekend...
Admittedly I was buggering about in 2m surf Embarrassed  Waiting to find out price for repair.

Standard plastic/alloy/fibreglass paddles are pretty indestructible in normal yakfishing ventures though.

Piwi, I use the Penguin bag and just line it with a heavy duty poly bag (120 micron). Love it. It sits flush in the well, keeping windage and centre of gravity low and holds 5kg of salt ice slurry for two days mid summer.  Liner means you don't have to wash the bag more than a quick rinse as well.

I leave the end open and it's a simple operation to stick the head of the fish in and push slide it into it's icy bath.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Page  <1 2425262728 33>