Rigged Kayak photo's

Page  <1 2324252627 33>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nakiyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 12:32am
Nakiyak View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ha, witty banter and statistics aside, looks like a very nice ride Smile
"Oh it's on.....it's on like donkey kong!"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 9:56pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

crumpets, you old duffers really get a boner on about this speed thing, carefull or you old boys will throw a hipLOL. tell ya what, I will let ya know about all the huge snaps that you speed past in the naki compCool
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 11:08pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nubee - do you want me to post a picture of a snapper so you know what one looks likeLOL
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 4:10pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Na, thats ok been  workin up at egmont seafoods and saw a few there! bugger, hope I didnt give my secret awayEmbarrassedLOL
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote i2cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 7:31pm
i2cobra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys. Naki man, what did you mean when you said "transducer stuck with the wide Fish n dive " I have just purchased a humminbird with transom transducer and own a FnD. Any ideas of where to mount the transducer. All help required on this one please.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrqt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 8:15pm
mrqt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All. What a great topic!!! Just bought a kayak and I now have plenty of ideas for rigging. Many thanks to everyone. MRQT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 12:04pm
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

bugga all fish today so will make do with  pic of the lean mean yellow machine. prowler elite 4.5

GPS and Fishfinder have had a few dips and no probs so far.  actually the humminbird 525 ff has spent more time under water than above it on some trips. The GPS works on a seperate battery to the in hold ff battery but want to wire it into the FF battery lead if I can and save on weight.  I have lost the gps bat in the surf but found by stubbing toe on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 6:15pm
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there!

Well it has taken a while to get this post up, but I thought had better show pics of my rigged up Wilderness Systems Yak. this is the Tarpon 420 model which I acquired late last year, and spent a productive afternoon in the garage late summer jazzing it up with plenty of help from my Bro!

Small dry Cell battery used to power the electronics - a Lowrance X50 and a removable anchor light.
Put the battery in a click clack container, padded it out with some foam, and some plugs through pre drilled holes in the container. Note that the battery can also be charged through either of these ports.

Battery held down inside front hatch via stretchy chords around the scubber hole tubes from the deck above. The more weight up front the better!

Removeable anchor light - Simply unplug and stow when not is use (rubber cap goes over the hole) - Great value accessory $50 from Burnsco Marine.

I found the best position for the fishfinder was at the front of one of the pedals (out of range of my foot). That allowed the installation of the scotty rod holderwithout it obstructing the use of the fishfinder, whilst keeping the area at the front of the deck uncluttered. I have found this to be a good location and is nicely out of the way -can even control buttons with my toes! ;-)

The installation of the factory rudder has made a huge difference to both tracking and steering of this boat - and the generous size Youvella drogue holds the kayak station in quite windy weather. I made up my own version of the drogue retrieval system with deck mounted pulleys with self tapping screws (rather than the 'loose' pulleys) and spectra line.

The upgraded rig, ready for action!! The chilly bin on the back was an afterthought, and it hasn't been used much on the yak, but I am considering some hinges for the lid so that there is no risk of losing it. Although I may eventually invest in one of those PVC fish covers for the back!

Have had some good sessions over the last few months on late summer harbour fish, and a couple of trout fishing missions to rotorua, but has yet to get fully 'blooded' on a real offshore mission. Keep an eye out for some fishing reports!

Fishing is the answer, what was the question?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 9:32am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice rig.  Is that light the LED or bulbtype?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 11:51am
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It is the LED Type. Calculated that battery would run the light for something like 1 week continuous!
Does anyone know the rules re. flags? I still see plenty of people paddling without them. I got the light for nighttime, and assumed that a bright red kayak would be easily seen during the day. Have heard and read some conflictive opinions on this. Anyone know for sure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 4:33pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do you have a model number or something for that light?  I can;t see it on the burnsco web site. It looks better than the one I have.  So I might uprgrade.

Not sure what the rules re flags are, but I used to regularly drive a 10m enclosed wheelhouse boat around the sounds.  Kayaks of all colours were difficult to see in a decent chop, I normally picked up the padle movement before the hull. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kai yak fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 7:23pm
kai yak fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

looks like a great fun platform. well done where you based? im in Whakatane and will be fishing hard over the next 3 weeks. you guys should do a day skippers course at your local coast gaurd. I did and most of it was  very usefull.  you get al the regulations flags and lights etc. we are bond to the rules of the sea just as other boats are.  Join the coast gaurd.for members they offer a free tow  if in trouble!
You cant catch a fish if your lines not in the water!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 7:30pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice yak that seen it on trade me, might have a closer look at fergs on Saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 8:39am
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mike aqua I couldn't see a serial number on the light. If you go into Burnsco in Albany they are about $50. It has a slight bend in it, I think it would be easy enough to pick out in the shop. It is surprisingly bright at night!

Kai yak fisher - am based on the shore in Auckland. Will be trying to get around BOP/northland area for some bluewater fishing, and am keen to fish in groups. Currently a member of a kayak fishing club in auckland. Thanks for the info re. coastguard. It is def. something worth looking into.

Muppet - If you go with it I would recommend the rudder installation. You can buy it seperately for $350 later (like I did), but I think they said they would install it free if purchased with the yak. You can do it yourself if you're confident, but It took me a few hours and quite a fiddly job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwi-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 2:35pm
Kiwi-K View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all.
Been a shmoozer on here for a while now,had a good time on the water this morning on the North shore,pulled a 3.5kg snap and thought i would post some pics of the kayak...

sory..dunno how to swing this damn thing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 6:24pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I hope it wasn't one of those fish that are floating around the Auckland waterways that no one knows why they  are dying. Other then that welcome & a good catach to start.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwi-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 11:02am
Kiwi-K View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

haha,no chip'n...this was an honest catch with it screeming line off my reel at about a deapth of 6 mtrs...used a mix of Kahawai and squid head.
The dead fish may be connected to the authorities keeping the dogs off the beach which have apparently been taking ill after being on the beach....worying factor for us aquatic addicts indeed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tankard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 1:24pm
tankard View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Here is the fish slayer (well I hope).

Bow - with scotty holder and a large front hatch - I normally just throw the c-tug into it.

There is also a large front hatch that can be put in the nose where the slightly raised plastic is.  At this point I feel I have enough storage so didnt bother.

You can see that there is another storage compartment just infront of the seat.  This has a pot in it and is an ideal location for all keys etc that you need to keep clean and dry.

A Tag-it insulated bag sits nicly in the rear and has a fish stringer that feeds it.  Throw in some salt ice slurry and you can keep fish in it all day long (and a couple of cold drinks)

You can see below that the Marauder has a nice sharp bow for cutting thru water and waves.  Sure its not as fast as some yaks but I feel it has the speed / stability ratio spot on - esp if you are a larget fisho  ;-)  

Running rig with drouge shoot that fits into the net on top of the Tag-It fish bag (nice design there guys)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 10:33pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice rig there tankard is it 4.5m and are you thinking about a fish fiinder a friend of mine is looking at the marauder i'll show him ya pic's.
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tankard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 11:07am
tankard View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Its total length according to the website is 4.34 mts.

A fish finder will hopefully be coming on fathers day (I havnt told them yet) - there is a nice spot up front that makes a logical mounting location.
Page  <1 2324252627 33>