Naki report

Page  <1 171172173174175 180>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 4:16pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi 7Days     I only fish for food and do not target large snapper anymore for reasons stated in my original post.    Neither do I find it particularly noble to play the guts out of a fish when the sole intention is to release it or prolonging its agony by fishing with ultralight gear.  BTW  If you enlarge the photo you can see a cut trace sticking out of its mouth with a 3/0 circle hook somewhere down in its gills (judging by the blood) or throat.   
Rainbow  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 10:12pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

onya rainbow that is a beauty for off the port, what a fantastic fishery we have
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 9:06pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Frustrating day    Had to shift twice (I hate that) and only in the third location did the gurnard fire.     Very few snapper only got a couple and a couple of big blue cod and 14 gurnard.    Water temp still cold 15.1 in the morning until lunch time then warmer water came in with max 17.2   

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ripples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:36am
ripples View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

EBOP Kayak Fishing Club 2017 Tounrmant entry forms
Hi all,

Below is a link to the entry form for the 2017 fishing tournment.   Thanks you all the sponsors new and old that have helped to make this event possible.

UPDATE: Online entries now available here > https://www.kayakfishingnz.com/ebop-kay ... ournament/

Downloadable / Printable for here > https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ewtbq0628lgq ... t.pdf?dl=0

Contact me if you require any assistance: 0212286051
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:45pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Despite a late start it has been a better season for tuna than last year.    Water temperature is still around 19 degrees and on my last two outings I caught only skippies, the best one 5.25kg.   Trying again tomorrow to see if they are still here as the later part of April tends to be the end of the tuna season in our waters.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:27pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

If I needed any proof of the value of berley it was today.    There were three kayakers (myself included) and one boat all my immediate area.    None of the others used berley and caught virtually nothing.   The guy in the boat who was sitting 200 m down my berley trail only caught a few KW.    I used oiled stone chips and had non stop action on KW snapper, gurnard and trevally.    

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:32pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oiled stone chips ? .. what's the story with that Herb? Sounds bloody interesting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:49pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Slab    The smallest stone chips they seal roads with.

I fill up a couple bread bags half full and put a dash of tuna oil in each, shake it up so that the chips are covered in oil.    Once on my chosen anchor spot I drop a good amount of them to get an instant berley trail going.    I guess the chips lie on the bottom and give off a scent which keeps the fish around.    No mess and cheapest berley you can find.

Where to find them?     As you drive around the country you often pass chip dumps.     When they seal roads they pick up only the clean chips and leave those that are a bit contaminated with soil.   I fill up a bin, which lasts me a long time.    Even if you use frozen berley the chips start a trail straight away.

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:46am
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rainbow told about using the stone chips , when bottom fishing thats all i use as berley, what also works in creating a trail is having your cubed bait in a container soaking in the tuna oil,when dropped to the bottom it gives off the scent into the current Thumbs Up
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Deeble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:03pm
Deeble View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'll be bringing my kayak up from Wellington on Queens Birthday weekend on the off chance that conditions allow for a fish somewhere around Taranaki. I'd be keen to head out with a buddy as I don't have any experience fishing that piece of coastline. 

Any tips on tactics/areas to launch from? I've had a wee bit of practice in the surf down here but not heaps so I'm keen for relatively calm launches and entries... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote martoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:26am
martoo View Drop Down

Hey guys, recent events have forced me to pull out of the comp this year, so my ticket is up for grabs. First in first serve, it's an early bird ticket so you'l be in the draw for the prize. I've got the same offer on the welly boys thread as well so be in quick. would rather see it go to some use than just go to waste.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:18am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Is that for the EBOP Tournament Martoo?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:05pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Got there at 10 and watched a couple of kayak fishers come ashore.    They had hit the water at daybreak on the coldest morning we had so far but had nothing to show for their ordeal.

We never got out until 12 only to find the water murky and wind against current which made the kayak swing on way and then another.    I hung my berley from the bow to settle the yak down.    No sooner had I dropped the stone chips my first drop hooked a good gurnard and after that gurnard and snapper came up regularly with the odd unwelcome KW in-between.    No spikeys yet but did get one carpet shark on a double with a carrot.

All up had a bin full of good eaters under conditions that did not look at all promising.    Goes to show you never know until you are out there.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 8:53pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

big snapper and gurnard off the port

rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flowrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 8:39am
Flowrider View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The tuna can't be far away, water temp was 20.5C last weekend up at white cliffs
www.oskfc.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YakDr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:06am
YakDr View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bring on some of that action!!! Better get my sht sorted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote secala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:07pm
secala View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a look out wide with Black Pearl today. Perfect conditions, no sign of tuna.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote secala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 5:11pm
secala View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dads army (Herb, Martin, Brent, Rodney) out today and scored a few albies between us. Kingfish everywhere too. Couple of good ones brought back by Herb and Rodney. Water colour not the best even at 90m. Clocked up 25km. Been a few years since tuna where caught in December.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:16am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

G ood to be out wide with the boys.    As secala said lots of kings following us under the yaks but were not really interested in our lures.    Water temperature colder than recent at about 18degrees dropping to 17 in the afternoon.    Colour a washed out blue all day.

Good to see that Rodney scoring the first albie of the season but still in 2017 !!!!!!

My kingfish was 91cm and 10.2kg

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:29am
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great conditions to out chasing tuna with the boys ,herb and I were paddling when I looked down into the water and thought I was looking at the bottom ,but we were in 70m of water ,lots of kingies were just below the surface swimming with us . Hooked two kings 8&5kg,and one albie 5kg.
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Page  <1 171172173174175 180>