Naki report

Page  <1 170171172173174 180>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 11:52am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good snapper and gurnard just outside the harbor in 20m.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flowrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 3:56pm
Flowrider View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The long winter of red cod and spikey dogs is finally overBig smile
www.oskfc.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:11pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Flowrider , where did all this action take placeLOL
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flowrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 2:34pm
Flowrider View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Shad, time for you to come out from hybernationLOL
www.oskfc.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 5:10pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was out todayCool paddling Black Pearls new ship ,smooth ride and very comfortable ,will be great over summer chasing those 10kg donkeysThumbs Up
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 8:04pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Out again before big blow.    Got 19 gurnard some a bit small and a few Kw,   No snapper but that was probably because I fished in 15m    Snapper are a bit deeper at the moment.

Saw Black pearl with his new machine    plus two orcas in the harbor     The big one swam right under my kayak only about 2m below    Quite a thrill

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 8:47pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice feed HerbThumbs Up
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 10:54am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good fishing out there at the moment.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 10:51am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Lots of gurnard and snapper around at the moment

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 11:36am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any tuna around yet Mr Rainbow? 😎
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:45pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Not likely.    Probably in another month?     Say first week in Jan.     Water is still around 16degrees.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 8:28am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Herb, i hope its another cracker of a summer. i really enjoy reading your reports! cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 9:55pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Forecast looked OK but when I hit the water huge waves were rolling into the harbour.     Outside the sea was really lumpy with the odd big one making anchoring a bit dicey.    I turned and once in the harbour decided to try to catch a couple of gurnard but as soon as the burley pot got down the fish were biting.    Ended up with 13 gurnard 5 smallish snapper and a few XXXO kahawai that caused me a couple of bad tangles.     Then the line ripped off the reel but unfortunately the fish got off     To my surprise one hook was crushed and the other one had snapped off its 40lbs trace.    I thought it was a shark but an hour later the same thing happened.   Line flew off the reel in strong pulls but this time the tackle held and after a dogged fight a 9.2kg snapper came into view just as Chaddie passed with his passengers.    They stopped and cameras were clicking and hands were clapping.

So what looked like a lost day turned out well beyond expectation.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:14pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

well done rainbow,Thumbs Up .Hope the Donkey tuna come in close this summerWink
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flowrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 8:48am
Flowrider View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Water temp was 20 degrees on Friday afternoon, has warmed up from 16 degrees on Sunday. A couple of days of northerly winds can warm it up quick. I got 8 nice gurnard by the wave tower in a quick 2 hour session. 

Great snapper there HerbClap
www.oskfc.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote secala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 6:17pm
secala View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done Rainbow. Good to see the harbour a worthwhile alternative as usual. Always better to play safe. Water temp on the rise I see!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 7 Days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 5:58pm
7 Days View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Snapper of this size are said to be up to 50 years old and these days even under moderate fishing pressure very few will reach that age.   What has protected Taranaki trophy snapper better than elsewhere is a combination of wild West Coast weather and their habits of spending a large part of the year around remote shallow reefs that are not heavily fished by either commercial or recreational boat based fishers.    Dedicated surfcasters know that and are rewarded for their dedication with the occasional trophy.    This narrow coastal belt that had been a virtual sanctuary for trophy snapper has become highly vulnerable since the advent of kayak fishing.   Kayaks can be launched almost anywhere, are highly manageable in tight surroundings and glide silently over shallow reefs which makes them the ideal craft with which to fish trophy snapper habitats..    Most if not all would have come from this narrow coastal belt.   

The best method for catching shallow water trophy snapper is stray lining.  Unfortunately this method often produces deeply hooked fish, which when released face an uncertain future.    When this potential and unrecorded loss is added to the three dead snapper that can be legally weighted in by each comp participant than this deplorable annual slaughter will surely hasten the demise of our remaining trophy snapper resource.   
I wonder if the club realises how unique and irreplaceable this resource really is.   Once these slow growing fish have gone, increasing fishing pressure will ensure that few get old enough to reach true trophy size. 

Sorry but this tends to get to me just a little, ...........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 12:33pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

"Sorry but this tends to get to me just a little, ..........."  What?????

As I understand it the club has made changes for the next Classic

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 7 Days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 2:55pm
7 Days View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Forgive me rainbow, but as I understand your comments in a previous post the snapper fishery is a fragile environment and in taking large fish from such habitat as the port possibly one of the largest fish caught in such environment is a step back in regards to conservation. I am unaware of how many 20lbers you have caught but I assure you that there is now one less for the likes of myself who aspire to catch and release such fish. The reference to the clubs activities was not intentional by myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 3:16pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome fish rainbow well done mate. i hope it tasted good!
Page  <1 170171172173174 180>