Whanganui

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whanganui
    Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 4:52pm
Tobias Alawishous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All,

Drove over to Turangi from NP on Friday morning and caught up with Clark for a bit of a tune up on my casting. Got some wicked advice which cured a few problem areas on my backacast. Then managed to double haul for the first time which was farkin awesome. Anyone interested in improving there casting .... totally recomend getting a lesson !

Then headed to the TT for a bit of an exploration mission. Never fished it before so I went in pretty blind but found some nice runs and few good pools. No fish for the afternoon but enjoyed the river. There were a few guys coming down the track from higher up with some nice fish. I only made it up a few pools past the big cliff. Will be very keen to go back and have another go but will probably angle for an early start to beat the rush. 

Saturday fished the Whanganui down by Taumaranui. First run I was into a little rainbow bullet that was quickly dispatched after some serious aerial activity. Further up the same run but into some pocket water nailed a nice 2 lb brown jack, beautiful light colouring, awesome condition ...r ight little porker he was. The guys I was fishing with nailed a couple of good fish each including the fish of the day a nice 4 lb rainbow jack from a nice pocket in behind a bolder in mid current. After a leisurely lunch we went a few km downstream and fished some faster and deeper water but fish were pretty uncoperative till late afternoon when the sun came out and a few small rainbows of about a 1 lb were pulled from top of long run.

Back to national park for a beer and watched the test.

Sunday morning back to the whanganui and nearlly got skunked until the last pool where I hooked seven landed three, a 4 lb rainbow and a nice 4 1/2 brown jack were the best.

Best fly combo was a size 12 cadillac pheasant tail which accounted for all of my browns and a hears ear flashback size 14 which pulled in the rainbows.

Prince nyphms and weighted pheasant tails failed me completely along with a few others.

Whanganui's an awesome river and it seems the fish move around alot but once you find where they are good times had by all.

Cheers

Toby
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 5:55pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report Toby.
I've had some good fishing above Kahahi?  (the confluence of the Whakapapa) but never done much. Some great water, though.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 7:57pm
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Tobias!!Clap
How about posting some of those flies?!Smile
I'd be keen to see 'em!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bushkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 8:19pm
bushkid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah the Wanganui is a dam good river, known by many and fished by fished by few. you don't have to go fasr from Taumaranui to get into some great fishing water winter or summer. That area holds a wealth of fishing, with a little exploring you'll get into some real good fishing. seems everyone is to set on on fishing taupo to stop and look. I have friends from there that never fish the local rivers and are amazed at the fishing on their doorstep yet never try it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 11:09am
Tobias Alawishous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

KTB - I'll take some photo's of these fly's and post tonight.

BK - Yep I agree for sure - I personally prefer to fish rivers with no people and good populations of challenging fish. You can't beat clear pocket water fishing IMO. There's another couple of rivers round that one I'm keen to try as well. The orangue, whakapapa as well as further up the Whanganui. So much water so little time ! Wink