New Photo Uploads

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Photo Uploads
    Posted: 13 Jul 2006 at 10:43am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

We've spoken at some length about the capabilites of the new forum software to accept direct image uploads to our own server. This will mean that forum members do not have to use third-party hosting sites like photobucket and moment of fame to host images, and paste the urls into your posts.

Software guru extraordinaire, Ginge, has been hovering in darkened rooms, complete with half eaten pizzas and coke (the traditional nerd-sustenance package), chained to his code writing computer, to get the job done.

One small note: Forum members now have to complete 20 posts before they can upload photos. Until then you still have to use photobucket. There's a nice little challenge for all you new people coming on line.

The software also has an automatic resize, which means you can post large images without getting scroll bars  etc. Good schizz.

Sooo to do the bizz, what you do is...

Hit the image upload icon

Then you get this window

Go to the browse button, click on it and go to where the images are stored on your computer. Which will look something like this below.

Select the image and click open, then in the image upload box click "upload"  - you will get a box asking you to be patient while it uploads.  Click OK to make that go away. A scroll bar will show you progress but it's pretty darn fast so you should only have to wait a few seconds.

When it's ready, you get a preview and you can click on the OK button in the lower corner.

Your post window will then look like this....

You can either hit the post reply button, add text, or go back to the photo upload icon to upload more photos. If you want to add text after an image is in the "post reply" box, just click on the lower right hand corner and you will get a cursor there and you can use "enter" on the keyboard to move below the post. Then type in the text.

The finished product should look some thing like this...

Ginge has now been re-chained to the computer, fed another Hell's Pizza with everything, charged with a coke and asked to get the video upload software up and running. Stay tuned.

One more thing - the "quick reply" box doesn't yet have an upload photo button. You have to go to the "post reply" button at the bottom (under the "quick reply" box, not the one that's part of the box) to bring up the full-featured bells and whistles post reply box. That has the upload image icon (as well as text formatting and all that sort of good stuff).
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ginge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2006 at 11:32am
Ginge View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Thanks Bender. A couple of extra points on this one.

- I have set the max file size it will accept at 4 MEG. This should be more than enough to cater for images taken by most digital cameras

- a hint: when loading a photo and a caption. Hit the enter a few times prior to clicking the upload button. Click your cursor to the middle line then click the insert image button. Once the image is inserted you can click the cursor below the image and voila there should be some clear lines to add additional text or captions.

mmmm - you can't beat a Hell Pizza - Double Lust with BBQ sauce. Thanks Bender.

Cheers
Ginge
The Fishing Website - Fishing.net.nz

Fishing knowledge on-line...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 4:10pm
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys,
What's going on?  I try toi upload a photo and it tells me max size is now 5KB, obviously too small.  Did one a couple of days ago with no probs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scullapint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 5:27pm
scullapint View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

TEST
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 11:35pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And now to make seventeen posts in short succession...this seems a good place to start.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 1:57pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK, I have tried this but I'm ecountering a problem.

I can the picture into my reply no trouble.

But when I hit post  reply with a picture in it nothing happens.  The little circle next to post reply on the browser tab goes round and round, but the reply doesn't actually get posted.  I have tried waiting a few minutes but nothing happens??

The image I was trying to post is about 7kb, so size shouldn't be the problem.

Any hints?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 1:49pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

testing..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 11:42am
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

But when I hit post  reply with a picture in it nothing happens.  The little circle next to post reply on the browser tab goes round and round, but the reply doesn't actually get posted.  I have tried waiting a few minutes but nothing happens??

Any hints?

Ditto, I still can't post pics, either through direct load or through photobucket.
Haven't been able to since April.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 2:42pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by upstream upstream wrote:

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

Any hints?

Ditto, I still can't post pics, either through direct load or through photobucket.
Haven't been able to since April.

Been having similar problems recently. I posted a reply with 2 photos and it just sat there not doing anything- the page just locks up.
I then closed the browser and visited the site again but for some reason, I wasn't able to access the site at all. I then had to wait a while before I can access.
I finally worked around the pic loading problem by posting the pics one by one. Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hEUgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 7:35am
hEUgE View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm testing,

too..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merlin the marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 4:48pm
Merlin the marlin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:34pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 6:27pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Help please
I can't get past first step even after going away and thinking about it for four months.

I select post reply
Select image upload icon

Then I get pop up asking to enter address of image?
So don't get the next step browse.

I am using iPad.
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 7:16pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cant upload from i pad,well you can but have to post pics on facebook,then cut and paste URL into the box that appears
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 7:57pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks O2fish
Starting to realize the limitations of iPad now. Not on Facebook.
Will have to leave it for now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ginge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:05pm
Ginge View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hi Corokid - yes you have just found a limitation of the iDevices...in that their browsers don't yet support file uploads.

We're looking at options around this - but most involve an app that you need to install.

Cheers
Craig
The Fishing Website - Fishing.net.nz

Fishing knowledge on-line...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:18pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by corokid corokid wrote:

Thanks O2fish

Yep ,worst one is no adobe flash player...
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:39pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Originally posted by corokid corokid wrote:

Thanks O2fish

Yep ,worst one is no adobe flash player...
Sorry should be of2fsh, could blame the iPad I guess.

Thanks for the technical explanation Craig. There are other factors I don't like also. So looks like the boy will be getting a bonus for Xmas .
Will look at getting something more suitable.
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 6:34pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Test
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.