Castlepoint LBG ??

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mr.trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castlepoint LBG ??
    Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 12:57pm
mr.trout View Drop Down
New User
New User

I am an unfortunate fellow trapped inland away from the ocean in Palmerston North. I have a real passion for many forms of fishing. Living in the Manawatu had seen me turn my efforts to freshwater fishing the fine rivers we have in this region - in particular the Upper Manawatu, which has simply blown me away at times with the sheer number of fish it has yielded me over the several years I have fished it.

However, my 1st true fishing love is Land Based Saltwater - however my geographical location and the rising price of fuel means that this form of our fine sport limited to the odd weekend trip (normally when the rivers are up and dirty !). One spot I have caught many a fine fish is the good old reef at Castlepoint which I have found is sometimes loaded with Gurnard and Kahawai. On one occasion around 12 months ago I had the pleasure of a mid week day on the reef fishing with the well known personality Gary Kemsley. It was just the 2 of us on the reef that day and we both landed some huge Gurnard and large numbers of medium Kahawai. During that day Gary spoke of the potential for LBG off the reef - and ever since I have been gagging to give it a try. My next trip over in Spring will see me taking along my TLD50 and newly purchased LBG rod.

Can anyone shed any light on the possibilities of any LBG captures and any hints or tips at targeting the likes of Kingies etc off this magnificent fishing structure. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and girls...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 1:40pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That reef there is damn impressive. Very deep and with plenty of current if i recall correctly, is that right mr.trout?

would imagine there would be some biggish sharks that would cruise by there from time to time. Never fished there myself so cant say anything for certain. you nevre know what will turn up though, if you have a livie out there swimming around then anyhting can happen....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mr.trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2006 at 12:19pm
mr.trout View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hey thx for that Boz. Yeah it is fairly deep right off the reef and is indeed impressive to the eye. From all accounts it looks like it should produce the goods, especially with blue water pretty damn close in on occassions.

I am sure that reasonable sharks would certainly cruise the area and I have seen schools of leaping fish only a couple of hundred meters off the reef that were too big to be kahawai - maybe some species of tuna ??

I would love to hear from anyone that has landed any form of gamefish from the structure. Regardless, I will be hittting it come springtime and I can't wait !!  I have yet to see anyone live bait from the reef - whether this is due to lack of fish or timid fisherman, I am not sure - one thing that is for sure is the fact that you gotta be in to win !!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2006 at 9:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hiya Mr Trout, welcome to the froum. Unfortunately I cant help you but you can bet your boots someone will.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote borrrris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2006 at 11:03pm
borrrris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wicked looking place to fish alright. Remember going there as a kid a few times.
Wouldnt like to have my back turned there though. Claimed a few lives i think.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2006 at 3:10pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Around 31 sadly so far BorrrrisShocked....I've fished there once, a nice platform, but you sure do need eyes in the back of your head. Even those who have just been knocked off balance by a rogue wave, and washed back down to the bottom, are gashed and scratched to buggery. One evil mean shell embedded structure, it'll cut you to ribbons Dead

I've posted this before, but that trip we did there, the very next day, a guy who cant swim, was caught by a wave as he tried to jump the 'gap,' a small roughly a metre wide gap, which enables you to walk out to the end of the reef, but he misjudged the incoming wave, and was swept into the lagoon behind, where he struggled, before his mate who also couldn't swim, dived in to rescue him, but he was the one who ended up drowning in the washing machine sea action that occurs there, as more waves crash over, and ironicly, the guy who was first swept in, with his fishing rods and  gear, survived, managing to get to the shallower water ....I'm not sure, but I sort of recall reading about some of the others of the 31 , who also have died at this 'gap' trying the same leap.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mr.trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2006 at 6:46pm
mr.trout View Drop Down
New User
New User

Now we are talking Shimma !! A real challenge. I have yet to make the leap, generally doing my fishing this side of that gap.

I guess the grass always looks greener on the other side. Mind you it will probably suit LBG from that side away from the hordes of fishos that frequent the more easily accessable area. Have you heard of any good LBG captures ???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2006 at 10:55pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surfed there a bit in years gone buy, she is a nasty streach of water thats for sure unforgiving evil b!t#H  are three other words that also come to mind Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2006 at 1:27pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mr trout, a challenge it may be, alas there are a few wives and mothers who would dearly like to be able to rewind 'lifes tape' to the day before their loved ones decided to take that leap. You gotta remember, it's a leap back again after, with perhaps a rising tide, maybe laden with some fish fillets etc, not worth the risk.             Fishing off that second part of the reef, after a successful leap,Shocked  you wouldn't stand a chance if a rogue wave washed across, too low to the water. I'm not sure about the lbg side of it, as being such a good depth of water there, good sized fish must have been caught, over the years, it's not as far to pull up a decent fish.  It's risky enough being on the 'normal' side.... I wouldn't like to try it, keep safe my friend.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2006 at 8:28pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep have yet to see a fish thats worth dying forThumbs Down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 1:40pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have heard of kingies, sharks and puka caught off this reef, so the bigguns are there. Have fished it a couple of times with no great success (just kahawai and the odd gurnard), but I wasn't targetting the biggies. Also saw a cray come up on a ledger rig, so there are bonuses.
Most of my LBG has been done up at the East Cape, and several spots require 'a leap'. The location you wind up on should have a bit of high ground, as you are usually there for the duration of the tide.
I would do a few trips on the safer part of the reef at Castlepoint, and keep an eye on the weather/swell, and watch how the tide states affect the outer part of the reef. Maybe an inflatable for access so you can get out of there when you like rather than wait for the tide.
31 notches on the warning signs tell you to take this spot seriously.
Pete Lamb would be a good contact on this location. I know he has caught kingies there and has fished it alot. Would be worth a phone call for you.

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 8:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Geez you'll make a 1000 posts yet Mars Big smile

We used to fish at Paratutae (Whatipu on the Manukau Heads) and that had a little leap. would try it now because I have wobbly knees, but didn't give it a second thought back then.

My mate fell in there one day..... but he got out - minus smokes, hat and stuff like that.

Never been to Castlepoint but have read about it lots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mr.trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 12:34pm
mr.trout View Drop Down
New User
New User

Thanks for that advice Mars. Will give Mr Lamb a try for a bit more info. Cray on a ledger... now that is a top way of securing some quality bait !!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 1:49pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bait!?!  Shocked Bah such blasphemy trout! Unless you are going to use it to bait a female back to your lair or some such activity  Wink

straight onto the barbie or into the pot with them crays mate Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 4:02pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha, nice Smudge. 1 post a month should do it. Might slow down now though, as my reason for getting the 1000 was to reach Gold status, but I see they are now giving them away!
Yep talk to Pete Mr Trout. He'll also tell you that 1 cray will catch 1000 fish, but I'd prefer to eat it. I also like Boz's idea....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mr.trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2006 at 12:40pm
mr.trout View Drop Down
New User
New User

There must be plenty of fish in your neck of the woods Boz ! Down this way the capture of such a crustacean means just one thing... spotty shark, moki and snapper bait ! Do people actually eat those ugly looking critters!!??Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2006 at 1:03pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i will admit that it is seldom that i capture any crays mr trout, so when i do then they get scoffed pretty quick

one day when i have got a few then bait they shall be, wherever that far away moment is...

havent you heard that all the decent fish are north of the bombays too, mr trout ?? LOLTongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 3:27pm
lambo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yes castlepoint is one of the best kingi spots in the lower north island and one of the most dangerous. ive caught a couple of good ones to 50lb and seen plenty of others had plenth of livebaits chomped from sharks too. give me a call if you are going our there 0274 439750 or 04 3878150 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 3:33pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gidday Pete great to see you on here as well, Welcome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 12:06am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's always an eirie feeling fishing on a reef that has a plaque dedicated to all the fishermen who have died there!

Clark
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Page  12>