Opito Bay Coromandel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opito Bay Coromandel
    Posted: 22 Apr 2003 at 7:45pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Team,

Short notice I realise but can any one share a spot for Opito Bay?? I'm away for a couple of days with wifey and the kids along with what seems like a kid from every other family in the district, I'm sure I said invite " A " friend, not " some or all " friends.

Anyway I'm rockhopping with my youngster and any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

AC

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2003 at 7:51pm
pland View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

AC

Have caught kahawai off the beach at Otama before opposite the camping sites. No sign of red ones.

Pland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2003 at 1:48am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi A C.... spent a lot of time diving that place left hand side of Opito Bay..... if it was too rough to go to the Merc's....... that first set of rocks just off the beach is crap but the second set where they launch the Boats just inside of is good for just about anything you like to target.... there is a reef about 200meters out its 6meters under, a bit far out to cast to, but the fish are feeding all round it anyway its slightly Nth of that point off rocks... give it a go seen some good fish there snaps kings and blue moki if you would like to try a crab leg or two.... have fun and enjoy the break nothing better than doing it with the family......

Cheeers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2003 at 7:32am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Lethal,

have you had any success at this time of year at that sunk rock on the right hand side of rabbit island, I was think about fishing up that way this weekend.

AC i couldnt think of a better place to go for a bit of a break, I'm sure It wont be to hard to get a few fish.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2003 at 9:25am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the quick replies and info team,

See youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Cheers

AC

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2003 at 7:06pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi stephen ..... that rock normally has a resident king and around the base are Tarakihi most of the year round from memory same with the one up further, the old man further out is better for Snaps Nth west side incoming along the side facing back towards Opito further out going towards the Merc's is some foul which has a big School of Boar Fish and some good size snaps not to many know about that place so it dosnt get fished alot......

Hope that helps get you a feed

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2003 at 4:57pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Team,

I'm back, not a huge success fishing wise but had a lazy three days and managed to catch some snapper. We fished Wed, Thur and Friday evenings right up until dark, we tried both ends of the beach and the middle. The best evening by far was Wednesday for the last hour before dark when we got fifteen or so snapper all small but for two keepers around the 2lbs mark.  One small snapper on Thursday evening and not even a bite on Friday ??. Ive just been reading the reports posted by Peter squid and I think I will try and get out to the wreck area on Tuesday evening. High tide is around 6.30pm so should give us a feed.

Lethal,

I used to dive old man rock many moons ago, on the side facing the Mercs is a nice cave down below, last time we dived it we came out with an 8lbs red cray, don't know what it would be like now, that was 1985 !!

Cheers

AC

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2003 at 9:16pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Great to see u back A C ....

i think you will find fishing was not easy over the long weekend for most..

and another the crack coming out of the water facing back to the breaking rock Stephen was talking about it goes just about to the bottom i got stuck in there trying to pull a big cray out some 35ft down my buddy grabed me fins and pulled me out backwards and i still had the dam cray even if my mask come off wont forget that one in a hurry tasted better than normal  .......

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Choppzwaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:53am
Choppzwaka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there all. Just wondering if anyone has any tips where the fish are around the opito bay area in the winter.