Drifting side on

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 1:28pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, that's enormous.

I've heard of people using those 1m^3 bulk bags with good effect, although maybe on smaller boats.

You can buy them cheap as, for example: https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/other/listing-2038550124.htm?rsqid=e0719cb35fb94cefa3ffc4a9af3507b2-001 then just put a big bow shackle through the handles (you may need to make up a little bit of a halter if this just pulls the mouth closed) and add a trip line. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:08am
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Bulkbag is a pretty cool idea, there is also the big suckers they use for rubbish collection, Flexibin and Green Gorilla.

Could be an interesting project getting one rigged up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 6:57pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If your going to go bulk bags then those cheap rectangular blue tarps from the red shed with a Y halter tied to each corner with one longer than the other and used like those modern parachutes might warrant an experiment. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 4:33pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got a nice surprise on Friday evening to come home to find my wife has bought a 12 Foot handbrake shute, we have both just been getting into the lure fishing thing (softbaiting, micro-jigs and kaburas) and she is as keen as I am to get it sorted.
The wind was very moderate this weekend so it has not been a real test but I will report in once we have had a chance to put it through its paces.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:44pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a chance to test the big shute in some wind in the middle of the Firth on Sunday and can confirm the boat no longer falls sideways into the chop and rolls around.
The corner of the transom were the shute was tethered remained windward and held the boat 45 degree to the chop which is way more stable and safer for fishing.
Good result.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:12am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It sure is nice to extend your comfortable fishing and get gear to the bottom and stay in the strike zone longer with the sea anchor isn't it...

Sounds like your wife is well engaged with the boat which is cool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:22pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea it really justifies the investment when we are spending family time together.
Fishing with lures has helped because we can just take the boat out and spend a few hrs fishing at a whim without having to plan ahead with the bait and burley 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:12am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My boat is moored and I can't count the times I have gone out to run up the engine or something and nek minit I have my rod in the launcher with a 30grm micro jig on it and I am out prospecting for an hour or so....It's all very civilized without the bait for sure.
I carry a spray can off salt away and as I change out jigs I put them on a shelf. At the end of the day I spritz them and the hooks don't rust or anything.
Page  <12