Drifting side on

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drifting side on
    Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:05pm
scooter123 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop my launch drifting side on. Its an older 11m vindex. Bought a tagit sea anchor wich is the appropriate size. It does slow down the drift but still side on and unpleasant in a chop
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 1:45am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How are you deploying it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
Silver
Silver

The sea anchor is deployed off the stern, iv tryed both sides and the middle, doesn't seem to make any difference
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 7:57am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tie it to one corner - you will work out which one.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:12am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can depend on wind strength/tide strength
ie if tied off stern so as stern face the wind but tide going in to wind ,vessel could lay side on. How far away from vessel is also a factor,needs to fill to deploy properly or too small for vessel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 10:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

11m. "correct size"
There was a thread from memory a few yrs back covering drift suitable size that I watched..
I have the correct size for our 5.5m boat and was having similar issues..hence watching the thread.
It seems correct size is ok in mild conditions in amounts lea of land inner harbour .. Get a LITTLE above that and correct size is not very effective.
I was then given a big chute more for 7m.. Bit over kill and not as easy to pull in.. But works real well once get outside the harbour islands and loooong drifts.

11m is a far bigger boat, and I would think proportionally the wind resistance to current far greater than our 5.5

Also do you use the rudder /engine direction to help direction the boat sets?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:53am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by scooter123 scooter123 wrote:

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop my launch drifting side on. Its an older 11m vindex. Bought a tagit sea anchor wich is the appropriate size. It does slow down the drift but still side on and unpleasant in a chop

I know exactly what is happening. A couple of weeks ago we were off Whitianga in big seas in a 50 foot Vindex that drifts side on too. I was not pleasant and with the pitch and roll it was difficult to keep your footing without having something to hang on to.
Out of a crew of 5 I was the only one not affected with sea sickness.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 1:26pm
Silver
Silver

As i said before we have the correct size for our boat and have tryed tying it to both corners and the middle of the transom.When there is a chop she sits side on.flat calm not a problem.dosnt seem to be dragging the sea anchor through the water excessivly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 2:01pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It will help if you turn the helm (rudder) all the way to one side too. But only real fix is go bigger or maybe on this occasion there just wasn't enough wind to counter the current? . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

In a chop is the boat able to lift the anchor at all in comparison to a flat blow? I lengthened my line so my chute works well up to it's high limit...

Sounds like you are onto it though. I guess your boat is displacement?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm
Silver
Silver

Its a semi dispasment. Turning the rudder wasn't thought of. Thanks will try that. I have lengthened the rope to 15 m from 10m but didn't do squat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote clank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 5:38pm
clank View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I would have thought if the sea anchor is not changing the position of the boat in relation to the wind / waves and causing drag / acting somewhat like an anchor then the anchor is simply not affective enough and not doing it’s job. You need an effective one as a safety item also.

Is it fully open therefore deployed correctly, are you sure it’s the correct size and is it an effective type?

My boat sits side on as well with no sea anchor so in light winds we drift side on, when the wind is more moderate then obviously the sea anchor comes out to slow us down and give comfort. We tie it to the corner cleat of the stern. The boat then sits as you would expect, quarter on to the wind. Stern on enough to stop us rolling around but not dead stern on to the wind so as to let the waves hit dead on to the stern. This is then quite comfortable.

In bigger waves we tie it to the bow for even more comfort. The sea anchor is so effective the boat sits bow on as it would an actual anchor which is why I think yours is not the right size or type.

Be aware also if your boat is drifting with the current only, not the wind, then a sea anchor will have no effect and just drift the current with you.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 5:49pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 9:16pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The natural way a boat of any size to drift before the wind is beam on to the wind.
When at sea the tidal current has to be taken into account as well. 

I have a 9.4 metre launch, and I use a small sea anchor (make unknown) in a wind so the boat drifts downwind. I string the sea anchor up so it is about 30 degress from the bow. So what I am doing is allowing the boat to drift downwind at an angle ( 30 degress of the wind) and controlling the angle of drift with the sea anchor from near the bow. I run the sea anchor through the bow and have another rope tied to the sea anchor warp about 20 foot from the sea anchor and this is cleated at the stern quarter - pull on this line to adjust the angle. 

Keeps the old guys in the cockpit out of the wind and we know that is 
good for their health. Works well for softbaiting as you cast downwind and drift towards the sinking soft bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:19am
Platinum
Platinum

There you go, try Dons method. His boat is maybe similar in drift to yours.

Let us know what pans out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:35am
Silver
Silver

all good info guys thanks.Will be back out thursday so will have a go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 9:16am
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Watching this with interest as we have a 11.5 mtr flybridge launch and have a same issue with the boat rocking sideways on a drift even with the chute deployed 
Our shute is a 7' handbrake that is rated for a smaller vessel (bought for our previous boat)
I noticed when the wind eases the boat turns stern into the wind and is a lot more comfortable so my conclusion is that this shute is only effective in light winds and a bigger shute may make the boat sit stern onto a higher wind.
I see you can buy a 12 foot handbrake which sounds excessive but as we are currently converting to softbait and lure fishing so this is looking like a necessary progression.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:21pm
Silver
Silver

Well we had a lot of drift fishing done over the last ten days.Tied the sea anchor off all corners of the boat plus the middle(not all at once)Rudder hard over.
No luck until i tryed it off the bow and it did exactly as its ment to,but not good for fishing Kaburas.So really still no solution
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by scooter123 scooter123 wrote:

Well we had a lot of drift fishing done over the last ten days.Tied the sea anchor off all corners of the boat plus the middle(not all at once)Rudder hard over.
No luck until i tryed it off the bow and it did exactly as its ment to,but not good for fishing Kaburas.So really still no solution
bigger shoot??If I recall the vindex does not have a lot of hull under the water so the topsides/cabin top etc gets all the windage so little under water it will tend lay side on,they draw what about 3ft 6?so maybe bigger shoot off the bow as Don described?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:32pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think this may be the solution 12 foot handbrake by Ocean angler

Not cheap at $399 but they are a very well constructed product

Id be interested to hear if anyone has any other available options?
Page  12>