Taupo jigging

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taupo jigging
    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:42pm
SundanceKid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anybody have some knowledge to share with regard to terminal tackle setup, method etc for deep jigging off a boat at Taupo? On the weekend I am heading out to some well known spots near Waitahanui.
I don't have downriggers so deep trolling is out but heard deep jigging is productive.

Also read that the fish start moving out of the deep to the river mouths in Autumn so that come Winter, they start migrating up the rivers to spawn.

Keen to understand what is currently working well at Taupo - deep jigging or harling/casting spinners close by, near the river mouths.

Thanks
My wife says she'll leave me if I go fishing again - HELL, I"LL MISS HER!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:55pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out Redfinger's recent post about his jigging at Taupo in the thread below this - Freshwater Fishing Reports. 

Apologies if you're fully up with the play, but just in relation to fishing near the river mouths, please make sure you don't breach the regulations which make it illegal to do anything but fly fish (not harling with a fly) within a certain distance of the river mouths. It used to be 300m, not sure what it is now.

Harling is always effective at this time of year, particularly in the pre-dawn and first part of the day along the shallows/drop off edge.

Casting spinning gear with a small ball sinker and a smelt fly is usually more effective than using metal spinners. I reckon small softbaits (NOT scented ones) would be worth a go, too. But again, all that has to be well away from the river mouth itself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:05am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jigging set up basically 2oz sinker on bottom - 3 droppers tied on say 10lb line (think ledger rig) and use mainly smelt flies.
We landed over 20 fish in a day and a half last weekend at Taupo - finding the fish is key so you need a good sounder - lake still warm and look 30 to 50m for the fish.

Pat swift sells jig rigs already tied in most good tackle shops - about 10 bucks each.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:08pm
Silver
Silver

Awesome thanks for the info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:13pm
Silver
Silver

Red finger, I'm going to head out to the Horomatangi reefs as we will be on that side of the lake, but I see it gets really deep there. Should I look for fish in the 30m range around there, like on the drop offs of the islands?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:33am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes around 30m mark was where we found them last weeknd - but fish are where you find them - spend plenty of time looking and covering area glued to your sounder. Need breeze to be slight to drift slowly so a drogue good idea