Boat lights

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat lights
    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:13am
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’ve got a new Surtees 575 HT but when ordering I didn’t even think about lighting. I didn’t plan on doing any night running but after a summer of use I think some lights will be handy. I assumed it would come with cabin/ cockpit lights at least but it literally has nothing apart from anchor/ nav lights.

So I’m thinking I need a deck flood light to mount on the grab rail at the back of the roof, a dome light for the cockpit, another for the cabin, and some kind of forward facing spot or flood. Any recommendations on brands and where to get them? I’m thinking LED for everything. Burnsco have a few options but going by the quality of their torches I’m not sure they will be up to the job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nav and anchor lights a must
Deck lights choose position very careful to avoid accidently turning around and be blind cause been looking out into the dark
Lights under gunnels are excellent
Cabin light again position esentual to avoid binging and any reflection when traveling.. Dash lights gps etc can also be an issue here.
Front flood lights.. There is an excellent t discussion couple yrs back on this.
General top of the cabin outside or even on deck up by bow will reflect back on the windscreen... An excellent suggest in that discussions was to hang off the bow rail above the anchor spit.

Rem LEDs are directional.. And chose of what or warm fo each application important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:33pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you're shopping around, make sure the LEDs are compliant regarding radio interference. Seems there have been quite a few issues created by them.

I know Hella are all compliant.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:48pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone got any ideas where is best to go? I’m in Christchurch. Do they need to be specifically marine lights or is any 12V IPX7 light going to be ok?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:44pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Talk to the surtees guys, will be pre-wired already, get the lights from them. Just need to place fuse and wire up.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:06pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have 2x Burnsco cheap $29.95 strips in the cabin and also up under the cockpit coamings and are more than adequate....and red instament lights.Clap
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount