4 over 20 in 2

Post Options Post Options   Likes (12) Likes(12)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 over 20 in 2
    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:08am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Took some friends out in the BOI yesterday. Big Snapper were the target. Had plenty of burley so a strayline session was going to be part of the day. Started off with a quick strayline while we had wind and tide cooperating somewhat on the last hour of the outgoing tide. Plenty of pannies and then busted off a good fish just before the tide stopped. A few more pannies and then out to the hole in the rock for a look and some deeper drifts. Wind was up out there so tried some drifts in more sheltered areas for more pannies and some kingi

Came back in closer and set up another shallow burley. Worked that through the rest of the incoming tide for more pennies and the occasional better fish. On the tide change I shifted to a spot I fished 25 years ago for a bunch of good fish in one serious evening session. Wind wasn't perfect but it was sheltered enough that the tide mostly held the boat.
The boys were all fishing under the boat and I was throwing big unweighted baits down the burley trail. Started getting some better 8lb to 12lb fish and had a est 14lber bust off at the boat after some puppetry o the light leader I was using.

Finally had a serious hit and hauled a 22lber to the boat. Couple of quick photos and went to release it but it went belly up for some reason. Had to cast a line over it to get it back as it drifted away. Bugger. Will need to fire up the smoker. A couple of casts later and we are on again. Scales say maybe 20lb or maybe 19 as the boat is bouncing around in the wind a little. We call it a 19 for the angler I passed it too.

One guy asks what I am doing to get these big ones. Tell him big unweighted baits drifted back like I told him to fish hours ago. Another guy finally wants to set up his rod for straylining so help him with that and show him the technique etc. I hook another big fish and pass that over but it was only 12lb or so. I am releasing these fish now as ee have plenty in the bin.

Meantime our new strayliner is on like kong and I lift a 25.5lb fish in for him. His first 20lber after a lifetime of fishing.

After that we have the 2 strayline rigs going and end up with 19, 20, 22, 23, and 25.5lb fish in 2 hours of action before dark. 3 x 20lb virginities broken. One guy caught his first Snapper the day before and a 20lbe in that session. 2 others have been fishing for over 30 years and never seen a 20lb fish.
4 fish over 20lb in a couple of hours and another that was so close to 20lb that you really want a 2nd set of scales. Will put some photos up when I get a chance later today. Hell session in the fabulous Bay of Islands yet again.

Last time we fished this spot another forum friend got a 24.5lb fish for his first 20lber. Prior to that another mate got his first 20 there as well. Don't fish that spot often as you need the specific right conditions when you are up here but my memory says I have only fished it in the right conditions once or twice without boating a 20. Pulling them out of 5m of water

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:26am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, cant complain about a day like that. Cant wait to see the photos(hope they have some lovely shots of the background !)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bet you have driven past it thousands of times. Took photos in a different location sorry ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:47am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Need to shrink images before i can upload them. Cant do it on the phone yet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:49am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cunning buggar!!. In that case I just hope it isn't one of my handy spots. I do like watching people drive over the horizon in search of good fishing spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:00am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

32cm snapper and beer bottle in there for perspective
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 11:04am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic session!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:11pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesomely awesome. Great session Tagit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:46pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Amazing session - liked.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 5:47pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top Skills & Report Dave! Be some happy friends after that trip. Big fresh Baits out the back targeting the big ones, you can't beat it Wink Liked....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:22am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Forgot to add. Best baits were med size Blue Macs (the Topcatch ones) cut in half on the diagonal or rigged whole as a 1/2 butterfly, and Mullet fillets split down the middle into long strips on 2 hook rigs. Strips of fresh Skippy were also good, but if anything I think the Mullet strips might have been the best of the lot. Normally I am 100% Skippy baits when up north but the guys brought the Mullet and Macs so tried those out as well. whole Pillies didn't seem to be working nearly as well, and they are another 'go to' boat for me normally.