Flyfishing from a Stand Up Paddleboard

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flyfishing from a Stand Up Paddleboard
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 2:41pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've been tossing up between various different small vessels for fishing flats/harbours, either a light craft or Kayak of some sort. 

Then I stumbled across this video 

Of a guy fishing on what appears to be a stand up paddle board. No way these are stable enough for fishing on right? So I did some more digging and was surprised to see a multitude of videos fishing on these, with a lot of positive reviews and people saying how super stable they are. One video I saw a guy loaded it with 270kg of weight and was paddling it around! 

It's called the "L2Fish" from Live Watersports, and has a catamaran design, which makes it more stable and apparently creates a suction to stop it from tipping. 

Looks like a great option for someone like me who isn't able to justify purchase, maintenance & storage of a boat. Plus it's a lot more portable. 

It retails at $3340 NZD and would have to be shipped from Florida.  (fortunately I can get cheap freight rates through my work). 

If anyone else is interested, I could see about getting cheaper rates to bring in a few of them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:17pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That was a pretty sick vid,

yip im mulling over a new craft.
was thinkin of getting a nucanoe, but are unsure at mo.[might be less stable than what I already have]
the skiff I have at moment[ a converted wavewalk with outboard] is great but was thinkin of something a bit longer and wider.
but, I still want to mainatain lightness[light enough to roll around ona trolleyby hand] and ability to stand up paddle.

ive got a real thing about stability, simply cause the nz weather consistently puts up conditions were apon ya have to travel across channels and open water were theres a chop up[ on the way to and from flats etc].

not real keen on SUP thing, could get ya self in a pickle.

think im gonna research more on the Nucanoe sta bilty, bar that I might end up with a winter project[ie a Catamaran skiff in carbon/ composite]

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been using a Seaeagle Fasttrack 385 for a couple of years now.
https://www.seaeagle.com/FastTrackKayaks/385ft
The price is reasonable, i have taken it around the world a few times, can stand up and fish, paddle about 15km a day, as long as the wind is less than 20km/h. It's been absolutely brilliant and I would buy it again. Fought and caught tarpon over 100lbs from it and many other fish species. Great craft!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:23pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Fasttrack's floor is the same material as a sup. Same for the Aqua Marina K2.
https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/watersports/kayaking/aqua-marina-inflatable-kayak-k2
Am looking at buying one of them to carry to more remote spots, but am a bit worried it may be too small for standing up in it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:26pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think this is the ultimate. https://youtu.be/ikYDIdltIQs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:03am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah I had no idea you had a Seaeagle as well Silvio?  Iv had a 285FPB for quite a few years now.  Love mine to death.   

A bunch of guys in the local club wanted to get a few but the local agent has closed up shop and the shipping cost the manufacturers quoted was ludicrous.  They ended up buying something else.  Not as nice but not as expensive either.  Glad I picked mine up when I did as it now seems like it was very cheap. 

Yea love the Bote rig.   My only issue is that If I had to store something that big, id just go for a small boat similar to what Joyfly is running.  Just makes more sense for the conditions we have, if we were in Florida or the Bahamas however? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:10pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

far out those seaeagles are the business, perfect for travel to bonefish destinations.

The botes cool too, man they have thought of everything!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:37pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gliding down a flat, standing and ready for a shot at a bone, permit, gt or tarpon is an awesome feeling. Some of my best fishing memories.
I have also used the fasttrack on NZ flats for kingies and it worked a treat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:17pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

make a glass one adam....split yours down the middle...add 3-400mm and do the same length wise......customise the length and width....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:43pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I really like the idea of being able to paddle while standing for spotting fish. Absolutely want stability, what's the Fasttrack like to stand up in? 

I do like having the option of a kayak for softbaiting/lurefishing. Hmmm, it's a tough one, I wish there were more options to try before you buy in NZ. 

I do have a couple old Ocean Kayak - Prowler Elite, I've entertained the thought of adding a support bar and an outrigger on each side for enough stability to stand up but not sure how realistic that is. Particularly around landing fish could be a bit tricky. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 1:16pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The fasttrack is more stable than any sub i have been on and that is probably the best comparison.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:16pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Craig, don't worry I  almost started on that track, but time/ material cost etc added up[I figured if I was going to do it, ill do it right, quality carbon/composite,resin infuse etc]

I pretty sure that one day I will do a self design/build, but not this year and am in the process of becoming the proud owner of a Nucanoe frontier14,only jobs will be a enginemount adaption and some cradles for trailer.

think im gonna be a bit more careful with this vessel than I am with the wavewalk, ya should have seen the hole I sprung in it the other day[all my fault from taking a shortcut and skull dragging it over foul and a shell bank].Welded it up no dramas but pretty stupid on my part. if id just spent 30 seconds putting the trolley on!WackoEmbarrassedLOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:05am
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

A bunch of guys in the local club wanted to get a few but the local agent has closed up shop and the shipping cost the manufacturers quoted was ludicrous. 
Hi Fraser,
Seaeagle deliver for free in the US. If you use the NZ Post Youshop system, the parcel can be sent to NZ for about $150.
See

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:48am
Platinum
Platinum

I had no idea bro.  Thanks for that, will let others know. 

So where are you in the world these days bro?  Be good to see you if your on the SI?  Drop me a line some time Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 4:22pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=So where are you in the world these days bro?  Be good to see you if your on the SI?  Drop me a line some time Wink
/QUOTE]

Hey Fraser, I have been all over the world in the last couple of years, fishing for all kinds of fish, all in the salt. I will be in touch when down south next, most likely towards the end of the year / early next year.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 4:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

I look forward to listening with envy about all your travels mate! See you in spring then!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 6:10pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Same,

Stop showing offLOL

{just a we bit jealousClown]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:17pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I guess it was my turn to go on an OE.