Something big jumping at Crusoe rock??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something big jumping at Crusoe rock??
    Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:04pm
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Was out for a fish this morning around Waiheke and Motuhie. I was sitting between Waiheke and Crusoe and something big jumped. Near the dangerous rock marker It was a good 5ft long, grey colour. First I thought it was a dolphin.....?? Only jumped the once and never saw it again.

Any ideas??
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:16pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would have been the big resident Bronzie. Seen it jump on a few separate occasions, sometimes a couple good jumps in short succession right where you pointed out. 99% of people think they don't jump bit they do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:00pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Johnny Watson Johnny Watson wrote:

Would have been the big resident Bronzie. Seen it jump on a few separate occasions, sometimes a couple good jumps in short succession right where you pointed out. 99% of people think they don't jump bit they do.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:47pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mako maybe
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:17pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mako do a 360 usually. Did it loop?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:23pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very interesting. I was fishing near there in late summer last year and saw what looked like a shark leap out of the water in my peripheral vision. Happened so fast, and was such a surprise, that I didn't really trust what I'd seen. But I thought 'bronzie' at the time, just in terms of the colouration and knowing there's a few around there. It wasn't near any boats, so I didn't think it was on someone's line.
I've seen a mako launch into the air after I hooked it well out in the Gulf, and it seemed a lot lighter in colour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:48am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone consider a thresher!.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:57am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I have caught threshers there before
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:42pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bronzies barrel roll, threshers greyhound and makos vertical or near to, with or without the somersault. Just my observations and never seen truly big mako or thresher in action. Guess you would have to see the whole jump. Would really like to see if a white would. Purely for scientific purposes of course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have seen a massive mako (hundreds of Kgs - big as my 5.3m tinnie easy) 360. We were hooked on to it. It pulled about 3-500m and thought had a marlin. Until it surfaced. As soon as saw the size said to the guys, 'No way it is coming near the boat'. Not within 100m.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 2:22am
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

Bronzies barrel roll, threshers greyhound and makos vertical or near to, with or without the somersault. Just my observations and never seen truly big mako or thresher in action. Guess you would have to see the whole jump. Would really like to see if a white would. Purely for scientific purposes of course.

Can confirm whites do occasionally jump when hooked, and it is equally impressive and terrifying
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 4:20pm
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was just like a Dolphin.... Jumped in an arch shape and back in.
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Mako do a 360 usually. Did it loop?
Alan
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 5:39pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

I have seen a massive mako (hundreds of Kgs - big as my 5.3m tinnie easy) 360. We were hooked on to it. It pulled about 3-500m and thought had a marlin. Until it surfaced. As soon as saw the size said to the guys, 'No way it is coming near the boat'. Not within 100m.
Alan
Remember going to the Coruba Shark Hunt in the Bay maybe late 80's early 90's. Some guys in a v198 Haines towed in a Mako that was either just over or just under 1000lbs. Ran out of fuel towing it and someone took fuel out to them. Too big to get into the boat. Seriously scary looking fish. Had one around maybe 250kg our wide of Napier one day. Didn't realise how big he was until he leapt beside the boat.So close it splashed us. 16ft Fleetline and it suddenly felt very small. Fortunately it busted off on the short trace before my crazy mate could get near it with the gaff he was trying to find. You count your fingers and toes just after seeing those guys let alone trying to gaff one