New lures over old lures

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Deepfreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New lures over old lures
    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:12am
Deepfreeze View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Over the last couple of years I have noticed when you put a brand new lure out it is often the one that gets whacked.

Is the extra shininess of a new lure enough to turn a follow into a hit? If so what is everyone's practice regarding old lures?

Once a lure has some bill rash and or chips do you throw it out and get a new one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:08am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lures are consumables, if in water for more than 4 hrs they should be replaced.
To save you the issues of disposing them send them to me and I can do.it for you.
Look forward to box of old lures.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:22am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Once they have caught a fish you should throw them away. Marlin prefer the shiny new ones. Also leave the plastic covers on the hooks so they stay shiny. 

Seriously though Deepfreeze, the best lures you will run are the ones that catch the most fish. I have lures onboard that have caught dozens of fish over many years. They are always the first ones to go back in the water. A bit of bill rash etc is irrelevant. Your observation about the new lures is probably just a coincidence. Some days however the different colours and actions can affect how the fish bite so changing lures around on a slow day is always worth considering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:48am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Lures are consumables, if in water for more than 4 hrs they should be replaced.
To save you the issues of disposing them send them to me and I can do.it for you.
Look forward to box of old lures.

LOL  your just to kind G

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Once they have caught a fish you should throw them away. Marlin prefer the shiny new ones. Also leave the plastic covers on the hooks so they stay shiny.

Watched a mate jigging with these on to keep his hooks shiny, was getting really grumpy when getting hit and no hookup.  Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:08pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those Joe Yees dont catch anything anymore just FYI  LOL happy to take them off your hands to clear the spread for new better ones quick as WinkLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:22am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Of course you use the lures that have caught fish but sometimes you have days of no hits and change them for something else.
One trip we had 2 lures do all the damage - Lumo Sprocket and a BM Fugly. Lost the Fugly and bought a new one but had very little results so went down the list of possible starters.
Of course, if it's only rarely run, it won't catch fish - does that make it a bad lure?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:03am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A couple of years back a guy came with us for a trip and insisted he ran this "great" lure. We caught all our game fish on it!!
We bought 2 more of these odd Marlinstar Tomahawks and again they seem to be catching the fish so that's 2 more oldie favourites now on the bench.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Deepfreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:40am
Deepfreeze View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Roy,
I am not talking about new designs of lures over old ones. Most the lures I run are older designs.
Two years ago we got all our marlin on the Z5.5 G/G. The first fish was a 336 kg blue and smashed the lure up pretty good. I replaced the lure but ran both the new and the old the rest of the season. Even though we changed the positions around the new one always caught the fish. The other old faithful's in different colours did not work that season.

I think it shows two things. On a given season the fish can prefer a certain colour/pattern. And if they have a choice they will take the better looking/ running lure (whatever that is).

If everyone is saying a few chips in the front face and how they run doesn't matter then why don't we all go back to cedar plugs. It would also mean that the new flash lures like red gill and Bonze etc are all a gimmick.

How they run must have a lot to do with it or no one would have favourites and old faithful's.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:30pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I got more marlin on my hard head lumo sprockets than the soft heads.
I do polish up my heads if they are starting to look dull.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I should probably see if I can put up some pictures of some beaten up lures that catch most of the fish. Colours and head shapes can be (usually are) important so having 2 similar heads with different skirt colours won't prove much about the heads themselves. Remember early one season getting a lot of short and only semi interested bites on the normal lure set. Put out a couple of lures in squid colours and the bites got a lot more aggressive and we started catching fish. Another trip we weren't getting any aggressive bites on a flat calm day so we dropped the lure pattern back a wave. Next fish up was all on. Started running a shotgun and the boats previous hottest lure position (long corner) goes cold whilst the shotgun and short rigger get hot. Last fish I caught on the short corner was the dodgiest beaten up old soft head chugger in the drawer with a mismatch of blue/green skirts because I had left some of the lures at home and that was the closest I could create to a black/purple in that size that I wanted. Short corner seldom catches the fish but that fish only wanted that lure. Haven't run it again because I like nicer looking lures which of course makes no sense.
Can't say for sure whether these are coincidences or real effects but I suspect a bunch of small details can affect how aggressively a marlin will attack a lure. Swimming style (head shape) and skirt colour are the ones we all mostly play with. Personally I don't think the state of the head is very important unless it affects the swimming action, but it just might be another thing that I haven't observed yet. Learn something new every trip though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:34am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That was probably one of the most informative responses I have read in a long while! I actually might've learned something today
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:40pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

interesting topic.
I make most of the lures we run.

I made a poo brown small sproket shaped one 25 years ago. we got most of our hits on it. called it the "seaweed" as it looked about that colour. retired it as it was a bit chipped up and it had caught my first marlin on it. 
Recent years have tried it again.. no hits !

Another year we got cut off by another boat while hooked up on a black purple zuker. so I quickly made a crude tube lure in a bit of pvc tube the next week and put on some pretty "average quality" bluish purple skirts on it. first day out it got a marlin. second day out another marlin..  nothing since.

Lost another lure a few years ago so made a replacement but didnt have time to polish it out of the mold before the next trip so chucked a skirt on it and gave it to my bro.
Its caught marlin and mahi....  and had 2 spearfish shots this year.

So I wouldnt get hung up on a shiny lure. 

But Who knows ???