early season performance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: early season performance
    Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:03am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Things have been a changing in off season.

Had a big day out yesterday and We tried some medium and  larger  angle bonze lures including the Arenui and man it smoked up and splashed awesome, in fact they all looked super!

Some interesting results performance wise this season.

Outriggers are longer and higher then previous years, traces are out of the water and lures work really well at a much lower speed 5.5 to 6.5 knots and by 7 knots and they are humming.  

With lower outriggers we used to have to run quite a bit faster to get the same lure action

The new outboard for what ever reason like to sit at 5.5-6 knots which is alot slower then what we used to get out of the Honda for the same fuel 8 knots but then we had to run faster to get the lures to work the same with much lower towing angle.  I wonder if it will make any difference for Pelagics as I have always trolled fast and raised fish.

We had one looker of reasonable size swipe at the short rigger lure (Argonaut) but didnt get a firm ID, we initially called it as a marlin but cant be 100 percent sure.

my dredge also came back completely stuffed twisted and arms bend to weird angles in fact its actually completely stuffed and as we were doing nothing different to the last few trips one has to wonder if something has grabbed it.  We will never know.

Thoughts please?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:13am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marlin.

Bill whacked.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice report Jake.
I have a bonze angel and the argonaut both run nice ... good smoke trail and plenty of pop.
Interesting that higher angle of longer riggers is helping run and get better action out of lures at lower speed. Probably a good thing, I would say. Am believer it's how good lures run rather than how fast you go and how much distance you travel.
I did one one big day myself off tuts on 30 December to 600meter mark north and wide of V. Saw one free jumper and as I brought my lures in at end of day saw another probable one feeding porpoise across surface. Like you very little bait, especially wide.
Fishing was heating up when was up at Tuts last weekend... but I was not fishing. Was talking to mate down at club on Saturday who said there was about 10 hook ups on radio, he had one in 400, there was a blue and couple of stripes caught.
I am planning to have another crack on Friday if can convince my daughter and her boyfriend (up from Wellington for week) to experience going wide rather than just go for a snapper fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saw a few FB videos of Jake fighting what he thought to be a broadie, but 2.5 hrs later it turned out to be a Thresher... tell us the story JakeClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau