Skis rock for topwater

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skis rock for topwater
    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:39pm
Slyde View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After moving from boats to a ski a few seasons back I have got to say that there is no better platform for solo stick baiting than a ski. Casting is easy when you stand up with no obstructions behind you and you can quickly get back into position for the drift. When the fish goes crazy and tries to dive under the boat a ski simply spins around...no problems. The only downside is when there is a lot of current and it would be good to have someone driving to stop you drifting so fast.
Treble hooks used to be a pain but since changing to barbed inline singles I can catch and release alongside the ski with less damage to the fish and less risk to me. I don't think singles has changed my strike rate at all. Around the gulf the kingies never get that big so you really don't need to invest a huge amount on some topwater gear. if you haven't tried it I can recommend adding a topwater set to your kit.