Visiting Mahia/Gisborne in January

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visiting Mahia/Gisborne in January
    Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:29am
fishstew View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello,

My name is Matt.  I am a spearo from Southern California and I will be visiting NZ for a month or two starting in mid January.  I will be staying in either Mahia or Gisborne depending on where I am able to find a place to rent and I was wondering how the diving is in that area for that time of year and also if there are any spearos in the area who may be looking for a dive buddy.  I am mostly interested in hunting kingfish since I do a lot of yellowtail hunting here in California and ours do not get nearly as big as the ones in NZ. I'm not very familiar with the other local fish species there yet but I am excited to learn what other types of fish there are to hunt.

Is there a lot of access to decent reefs in the area or will I need access to a boat or to hire a guide?  I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks,

Matt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:08pm
spearomaniac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Keep me posted Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 4:40am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get hold of Dean Savage at Dive Tatapouri he should be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 5:40am
fishstew View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Tzer, I ran across your website the other day also.  I'm also interested in doing lots of rod and reel fishing while we are there and as the trip gets a little closer and we have solid dates I'd like to get in touch with you as well about setting up a trip. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:25am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There's a dive operation in Mahia also but you'd probably find spear buddies visiting the Mahia pub especially on a Friday night + approaching boat owners at the boat ramp in Mahia Bay and the camping ground. Should be easy in Mahia as most people are there for fishing and/or surfing. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:01am
fishstew View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great feedback from everyone so far.  Thanks, I appreciate it!  I'm really looking forward to this trip, especially since winter is setting in here and things are really starting to slow down. 

What would you guys recommend as far as which guns I should bring with me?  I have everything from 90cm pipe guns all the way up to my big 173cm wood gun and lots in between but I'd like to try to minimize how much gear I need to travel with and narrow it down to 2 or possibly 3 spearguns since I have fishing rods and gear to think of as well.  From the videos I have seen online, it seems like most guys there seem to use a lot of pipe guns with flopper shafts rather than the bigger wood guns and slip tips that are more popular here in California and I have always wondered why. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:18pm
fishstew View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well, I was suppose to be out here back in January but there were delays with my work for a few months but I finally made it.  I'm staying in Mahia and this place looks incredible!  I haven't had a chance to get in the water yet but driving around over the last week I've seen some spots that look pretty exciting.  So far I'm hoping to check out Blacks Beach and the rocky reef looking area just off the road between Mahia and Whangawehi.  Anyone know anything about this area? 
Of course the first day I had some time off the water looks like mud from all the rain but I'm hoping things will clear up over the next few days and I can find a good spot to get in the water and find some fish and some crays. 

If I can get next weekend off I may try to head up towards Gisborne but I'm hoping I can find myself a couple local places to beach dive in the afternoons after work.  So far I have had my eye on a few that look good but I guess I won't know until I get in and check it out. 

What sort of fish would I be expecting to see at this time of year?  Are the Kingfish still around in decent numbers? 

If anyone is looking for a dive buddy I would love to meet up for a shore dive or share boat costs.