Finding Maui Dolphins on the west coast

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding Maui Dolphins on the west coast
    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:36am
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mondays trip video catching some nice snapper and cruising with Maui Dolphins

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 10:53am
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great vid there coxie.👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 11:35pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done coxie,Thumbs Up whats the specs on the light jig outfit
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:10am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, thanks for sharing video Coxie. Getting video of Maui's something specialThumbs Up Haven't been any sightings down our way as far as I'm aware of for a few years now. Liked.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:22am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great video liked!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 8:10am
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys. Geoff they seem to always be swimming in water depth of between 10 to 15m whenever I see them, I was contacted by a conservation worker who wanted more info to pass on as he had been trying for ages to find them with no success, feel spoilt that I have seen them probably 5 or 6 times in the last year!

Shad - the light jig outfit is a "Catch" combo, JG2000 reel with a Kensai slow pitch 80g-150g rod. It is a really nice setup to use for this style of fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:03am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great video, well done.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 1:25pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great video. Where was that?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 8:18pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fishb8 - It is on the west coast, out of Port Waikato to be precise
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 8:32pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work, as usual, Coxie.
Beautiful footage of the maui dolphins. I know the set net ban was controversial, given the effect on the comm fishos in the area, but it's hard not to make a last ditch effort to save such a unique creature.One of the biggest moaners at the time of the proposed ban was a Kawhia family that turned out to be a major black market fish fraudsters.

you do very well on those Double Troubles, good sized snapper seem to love them. You fishing 80-100g there, like you do out from Waiheke bottom end?
Which end of the lure do you attach your assist in that situation?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:08pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I agree with the ban, if something is killing these mammals it shouldn't be allowed, regardless if they are endangered or not. 

Yeah the Double Troubles definately have their times when they shine, I was using 100gram in 30 to 40 odd meters, with the leader and assist rig attached to the end with the eye (how they come in the packet) I find dropping them to the bottom, then 2 or 3 mechanical jigs then drop to bottom again works for Snapper. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:40pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers mate. You certainly do well on the Catch range. I'd never heard of the Double Trouble until I watched your vids, can't argue with the quality of the snaps you get on them, using your method!

I have some of the Livies soft baits to try this summer, nice looking colours and curly tail shape. They are buoyant, too, which is something that sets them and Z Man apart from the Gulps - along with the elasticity. Good to have a variety up your sleeve, i reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:45pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes very cool video Approve for a jet skier Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:55am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The ban on set netters/inshore trawling has IMO has had a beneficial effect on the state of the fishing in our neck of the woods.

One commercial I know of used to completely encircle the Aotea reef with gill nets in one shot, wonder how many Hectors this character killed and disposed of, not to mention everything else.

This prick is now one of the main agitators on local pa's calling for a reduction in the recreational take as the fishing in his opinion is being ruined by this take, when the fishing in my case, has never been better.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:01pm
Pillager View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

But he's one of the komatuas now Dennis. We should listen to him.
(According to him).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah right.

Cheers