Trailer WOF

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer WOF
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 11:25pm
Monker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello all,

First up apologies if this is a silly question, but I fully admit to being a newbie and always learning.

The WOF is due on the trailer of my tinny and I was wondering if the trailer needs to go to the garage without the boat, of can the mechanic do the warrant on the trailer with the boat still on it. It seems like a lot of work and also I'm not keen on leaving the boat unattended too long while the trailer is getting it's warrant.

As I said, sorry if this is a dumb questions but any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

E
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 11:31pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Standard practise to take trailer with boat on it for a wof no problem there.

If you book a time lot for a wof just wait while they do it doesn’t take long.

If this isn’t a option at your normal garage then vtnz is always a option who do it while you wait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 11:31pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Leave the boat on the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Suggest do a basic pre inspection.
1 jack each wheel up...try to wobble top to bottom.
 Any play a fail.

Spin the wheel.. should spin freely and no background rumble.
 If rumble , replace bearings... and use a good brand marine bearing grease.. like evinrude triple guard red (not the blue)
 Make sure you get marine seals with the bearings , not std seals.. avoid cheaper chinese bearings...another $10 each is well worth the cost. 
 Very important read the instructions, no play and DO NOT over tighten.
 bearing buddies are worth it.. just rem to check they are pumped up a little before leaving home.. they st5ay pumped up for long periods.. DO NOT over pump.

If only play
Remove center hub covers, split pin  back the nut off 1/2 turn then do up quitre firm.. not tight.. back off again, retighten finger , or not much more till no play .
 Reassemble check for play and rumble.

Check spring mounting bolts, U bolts, nuts  for excess corrosion and excess play.. same with hitch bolts etc
 Check chain attachment and U bolt all looks secure

Should not have a stainless U bolt unless it is certified and stamped.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 1:04pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

check lights too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 1:30pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How does rust on axles etc go? Maybe I should POR 15 them.

Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
Monker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks all, much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:29am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Polar_Kiwis Polar_Kiwis wrote:

depending on inspector may fail - best to clean up before WOF - tap with a ball hammer should be solid metal under rust no holes - if so fail,
POR 15 is great problem is rust may be inside as well...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most axles will have some surface rust coming thru.
 A little surface rust is different to actual corrosion, the latter meaning thin walls , hole etc.
If suspect, give a good wack with a hammer.. which the WoF guy should do anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote clank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 11:10pm
clank View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Any play a fail.

If rumble , replace bearings... and use a good brand marine bearing grease.. like evinrude triple guard red (not the blue)
 Make sure you get marine seals with the bearings , not std seals.. avoid cheaper chinese bearings...another $10 each is well worth the cost. 
 bearing buddies are worth it.. just rem to check they are pumped up a little before leaving home.. they st5ay pumped up for long periods.. DO NOT over pump.

If only play
Remove center hub covers, split pin  back the nut off 1/2 turn then do up quitre firm.. not tight.. back off again, retighten finger , or not much more till no play .

Check spring mounting bolts, U bolts, nuts  for excess corrosion and excess play.. same with hitch bolts etc

Or if it failed an inspection you could take it to a trailer shop and get someone else to sort it while you spend that time in a tackle shop,

Really Steps? Monker the original poster just asked about leaving the boat on the trailer for a warrant.

Yes. Leave trailer on boat, no problem,.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:42am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by clank clank wrote:

Any play a fail.

If only play

Or if it failed an inspection you could take it to a trailer shop and get someone else to sort it while you spend that time in a tackle shop,

Really Steps? Monker the original poster just asked about leaving the boat on the trailer for a warrant.

Yes. Leave trailer on boat, no problem,.
Fair comment but - it really pays to check trailer before WOF - if you pick up a problem you are way ahead and saves a wasted trip instead of being out fishing - what does the original poster think? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just giving the option of being able to do basic  pre checks...
 Yep and often a then having to take home, then book a repairer, then take there , then book a recheck.. maybe add on each time parked and dragged out at home not quite straight forward..
 Also throw in , maybe the poster does have a jack, axle stands and a few spanners.. being able to fix before a check if need be, or after..
Bearings etc are not rocket science IF dont over tighten nuts etc..

My post just opens up all options for the original poster to make their own call to suit their situation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:24am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

checking lights , bearings , signs of rust before you go could save you plenty of time running around if you failed the Wof .
All easy to do .
A couple of the lads in Huia with bigger boats just take their trailers in .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:16am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So how tight is not over-tightened (but not too loose either).

I've been taught to tighten the crown nut up until it stops being easy to turn, then back off till the next slot in the crown nut is lined up with the hole for the split pin. 

I've never had any failures using this approach, but it's very subjective.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:42am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nahyou fellah have it all wrong.Take boat to nearest ramp and go fishing.Let wife girlfriend take for wof. She can batter her eye lids show some leg and get wof. If failed at least you got a days fishing in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The correct torque is , as I described, in the instruction pamphlet that come with the bearings.
 I describe above when no rumble and a little play above

Removing the old shells is the hard part when replacing bearings..and pressing new shells in.
 I describe how to this in older threads.
 Tension .. wind on nut till quite firm.. to make sure bearings hub are corectly positioned.. then back off to loose.
Finger tighten..then Split pin thru appropriate holes..may need to tighten a smidgen more.. no play!

If chinese bearings  you are likely to find that you will either have play or slightly over tightened...
Loose the wear and rumble early.. over tighten and they will also rumble early.

Do not confuse older style parallel (mostly pre mid 1950s) sided bearings with taper bearings...
 Even today there continues to be common misconception between the 2 even thu 1 has been basically obsolete in automotive wheel bearing for 50/ 70 yrs

Parrell side bearings require correct shimming (to get correct load on the bearing ) and correct torquing up rather tight again to get correct loading on bearing. 

End of the day.. read the instruction sheet with the bearings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 12:45pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The correct torque is , as I described, in the instruction pamphlet that come with the bearings.

I don't have a spanner that measures torque.  I've never seen one.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 2:30pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's why you use a socket and a torque wrench. What ever you use, pays to check them after a a couple of trips or a long tow to make sure that the bearing was settled correctly initially and hasn't loosened. Did one on the wifes car a while back and it failed the next warrant due to being a little loose. Quick tighten and all good, but wouldn't have wanted to run it a lot longer like that and wreck the bearing. Sod of a thing to change on that car.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:00pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have set of 3/4" drive sockets I use for bigger stuff (e.g. boat trailer rollers).  They would fit the crown nuts, but the torque wrench is 1/2"

Unless I can find an adapter.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Nahyou fellah have it all wrong.Take boat to nearest ramp and go fishing.Let wife girlfriend take for wof. She can batter her eye lids show some leg and get wof. If failed at least you got a days fishing in.
Good idea but my missus wont do that any boat work is my job!
Page  12>