Kawhia

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kawhia
    Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:23pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The fishing out west at the moment is just plain awesome, yesterday Louie and I had a ball, nothing huge but beautiful eating fish from 40 to 70 cm, and one that went 18lb.
A nice bin full.
XOS carrot
On the down side those pesky mako's have turned up, playing havoc as per usual.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 4:12am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Bin there DennisBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 6:13am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes, great catch. Nothing huge, only 70cm hehehe good work.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 6:45am
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How deep?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:24pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

55m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 8:44pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went out on my annual fishing trip to Kawhia, for the Kasha Snapper comp. Lost 2 big Snapper (? - lost them so can't be sure they were Snaps) on Thursday while sussing out a couple of likely spots. Lesson of the day - don't buy store bought ledger rigs/or set that drag a bit lower, if you are after big Snapper! On Friday, the 1st day of the comp, I managed Snapper to just under 6kg (not in the running for the top 10 prizes) using 100lb traces I made up Thursday night and 6 other Snapper, smallest 42cm - out at 55m (coincidentally feeder). I also managed to pick up a prize for a 2.27kg Kahawai (there were several workups out there). Saturday the weather turned to custard and I initially considered staying in close, but those 2 big Snaps with my hooks in their mouths were calling, so I headed back out to 45m and drifted to 55m (quite quickly, with the wind blowing easily 20 knots offshore). I ended up with a couple more Snaps and some more Kahawai - I couldn't help myself when I came across a workup. It was a tough ride back in (on my jet ski - 3.5m vessels aren't ideal in those conditions) against the wind and short chop that had built up! 
A big shout out to Shay Ward for organising the comp, based at the Kawhia boating and Angling Club, which was run very well indeed, again this year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 8:57pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Cliff M-F Cliff M-F wrote:

Lesson of the day - don't buy store bought ledger rigs/or set that drag a bit lower, if you are after big Snapper! 

You been shopping at the 2$ Shop Cliff?LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:09am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty hard core Cliff M fishing that shyte on Saturday, on a ski as well, I stayed inside out of the rain and squalls and had a very comfortable day Wink.

Friday was a mixed bag for us, plenty of fish best snap 5.95, out of the running, chopped up a good couta, forgetting about the other fish, good comp.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:33pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a trip on the Dove 3 weeks ago, one guy lost 2 decent fish because of broken hooks on Black Magic dropper rigs.
Both were broken on the shank??
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:07pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some advice for fishing the Westcoast, Learn how to tie your own leger rigs and Straylines prefably with 100 lb top quality trace line and the best quality hooks. Practice your Knots so they never slip or break off. Buying premade rigs you get wot ya pay for, and most of them are rubbish. Seen it so many times a big fish busting off a cheap leger rig...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:01am
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep - Lesson learnt Snappa Geoff!Ouch