48.5 kg snapper breaks all records ...and my heart

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:46pm
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Blue cod has been around the $50/kg for a while down here in Dunedin... I like to think it semi justifies the thousands I spend on chasing them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 7:11pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I hate being smug but even based on normal prices I normally make money on the fish I put in the fridge.

You forgot to factor in your tackle addiction LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 9:17am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a passing glance at the fish section of N.W a couple of times this week to see what they were charging for snapper. 
They didnt have any snapper. No snapper.! First time i have not seen snapper there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 1:17pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

New world in waiuku is $42 a kilo. Trawlers are hammering the coast out here the last week,so I'd say the prices will drop soon.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:08pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

fishing is a good mental health thing.. i love flying  but planes are dearer than going fishing on te bossess boat :)

edited to include that when we come  back from a fish without any he says  i could by alot of fish for $30,000
lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:59pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes you could buy a lot of fish for$30,000 , but it's resale value is zero.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 7:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont need 30K....
 Look around for a good solid older boat, say  about 5.5m late model engine.. may take 6 or 12 months.
Spend another 7 or 8K on new bimini , seats bit carpet, update sounder etc over the next 6 to 12 months.
 That will get you all around inner gulf and out to the 50m plus on the west coat.
 Not only that, will be cheaper to run maintain than most other boats.. so pick up a bit there.

Plus you go out when you want, as often as you want, for as long as you want.

Do not forget thu, general rule of thumb.. maintenance/ club fees/ coast guard is around 10% of the total REAL value of the boat /trailer.. smaller the boat the less the maintenance %.
 Now off se that with bringing in a good $400 plus worth of fish...if keen get out once ever 2 to 3 weeks all yrs round.
 2017 we had 34 trips out... and those are basic , modest good company, day or over night on the water and get a feed.

You keep the boat for say 10yrs...you are still up.
Then sell.. IF have looked after it and trailer , going on historic prices over the last 40/50yrs, will still get same or little more than paid for it, not allowing for inflation.

Long term compare that to most other hobbies , golf , target shooting.. few give a 'return' and one is ono a winner...
Financially and state of mind.

When one doesn't have deep pockets, these things are usually THEN considered.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smurfatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 4:04pm
smurfatnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes if I looked at what it cost me to go fishing each time it would be cheaper to go to the supermarket and buy my fish.

But hay it’s a day out and speeding quality time with family and friends which you can’t put a price on that 

Also the thrill of catching a fish far out ways handing my money over for a fillet that is 2 to 3 day old  Thumbs Up

Crank that smoker up and lets get cooking
Page  <12