Painting slow jigs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting slow jigs
    Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 10:32pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a few slow jigs (inchiku style) that I would like to paint a different colour. Any suggestions on what products to use? Cheap and easy would be good Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:40pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Model car or plane paint ?
Paint same as what people who make lures and poppers use?
Talk to reel appeal lures, he is on here but not sure of his tag.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers. I just used some fluoro paint I had in the garage which seemed to work well. Thinking about a sealant now. Either a 2 part clear coat spray, or a 2 part epoxy resin, but I'm a bit clueless. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 1:51pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depending on what you're willing to spend, you can get hold of some very simple epoxy that just goes on from a tube and dries quickly in the sun. One coat, no mixing or anything tricky. Solarez is what I use. There are cheaper Chinese options on Alibaba.

I use Solarez for the heads of my skutes, and for trout flies.

Not cheap, though, so it depends on how many you want to coat in terms of assessing the value. Another option would be coating with clear nail polish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 2:22pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers TTK, that's a lead to look in to. I have been down the nail polish road before, the cheap stuff isn't too good, flakes pretty quickly, but the top end stuff is good. "Hard as Nails" in case you were wondering. Thing is, I've got a **** load of slow jigs to paint and it's going to get expensive!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Okay, if you're on Facebook I'd look up 'NZ Lure Fishing' and ask that community a question.

There are a lot of people on that who make their own lures, and should be able to give some advice on paints, finishing coats etc.

My other suggestion would be to talk to a car painter. They know a lot about painting metal to last in harsh conditions. Maybe a lacquer type top coat they know of  you can get at Repco or similar?

If you've got a lot to do, my thinking is that you'd want to work out a system of hanging them all through the leader loop on a single stiff wire, or thin metal rod, or similar, with something like an old sheet behind them, and spray painting the lot in one go (for example, hanging off the clothes line in the back garden).
Or if you want to have say lumo on one side, and metallic orange on the other, you maybe can fix them to a big piece of cardboard and spray all of them at once on one side, let it dry, then turn over and do the same on the other side?

I don't think epoxy is going to be a realistic option as the final coat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:04am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just went to the $2 shop and got a selection of nail polishes. I painted up a 40g jig that had all the paint chewed off by snaps. 

Painted a base coat in yellow - over painted brown dots (bruised banana), then a couple of coats of clear polish with glitter in it.

Snaps went crazy for it.
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:56am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds good BB. My brain tells me that colour doesn't really matter, heart says otherwise and it's all about confidence out on the water. My jigs are still sat on a windowsill waiting be clear coated. I'll get around to it once I "need" them.