Amazing Labour Weekend! Mokau......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing Labour Weekend! Mokau......
    Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 1:20pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All. Saturday and Sunday saw Mokau Fishing Club kick off the season with our Labour Weekend Comp! Simple-  three fish Snap, gurnhard and Kahawai 1st 2nd and 3rd. From kids through to adults Boat and Surfcasting. Aaron myself and Greg hatched a plan to go way down the coast on Friday night before dark drop the craypots race back and start on Saturday morning hopefully with crays first then hit the fishingBig smile With under a metre seas and a flat bar perfect weather our club couldn't wish for better conditions! Off we set in the big centre console  daybreak on Sat to Spot X to pull the pots. Wow We had heaps! Sorted out the good ones and put the rest back. With most around 2 kg's and a few bigger ones. Myself i was chomping at the bit to get fishing for the compLOL waited ages for the big snaps to arrive 2-3 hours but rewarded in the end with a couple just on 20lbs and a couple just under to weigh. The word after weigh in was we were looking good, so that was day one. On to Sunday, got me mac boat ready and off Ausi Chris and myself went launching at 7.30am. This time i went to my favourite spot in perfect windless conditions! Sabiki's were smashing Kahawai left right and centre! So bait was plentiful for Straylines. Took a while for first good run but was my best Snap of the day. Weighed in later at 9.17 kg's. Got another very similar weight i kept as they felt the same weight wise on boat. The next three hours after that we had amazing fishing! I let four or five more fish all around or just under 20 lbs go, splashing us in the face as they decended with a big flick of there tails. Chris got one around 15 lbs he kept and we kept a couple more nice eaters and that was our day. On to prize giving and the boat section Aaron and myself thought maybe, but we were smoked! 11.48 won it and two in the 10 kg were caught by other anglers for the minor places. But thats Mokau! a great place to chase a big snap or two! Photo's pretty much a run down on me post from the Crays and day one on Aarons boat through to me releasing good Snaps, getting splashed and the couple of snaps i kept for weigh in. Cheers All....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 5:02pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

cool havent had them come up to kariotahi yet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 5:51pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like a great weekend Geoff, fresh crays and snapper for the table. Keep up the awesome reports
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 6:35pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great report, as always, Geoff. And great fishing. Hard to believe you didn't win with one of your usual quality fish, but you obviously fish in the land of giants...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:17pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fishing Geoff Thumbs Up.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Looks like a great weekend Geoff, fresh crays and snapper for the table. Keep up the awesome reports
Cheers Graig! Can you fit in a trip here from now until end of November? if weather and sea conditions are good we have unfinished business! get you a 20 lb da! PM me.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:45pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

jealous as I is. What a great weekend. Best keep that cray spot to yourself. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

great report, as always, Geoff. And great fishing. Hard to believe you didn't win with one of your usual quality fish, but you obviously fish in the land of giants...
Thanks TTK! Yes most other Comps i would of probably picked up a prize, but this time of year here  alot of Big Snaps congregate  for spawning and if your in the right place right time you can catch one as many of our members did on weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:55pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Cheers Graig! Can you fit in a trip here from now until end of November? if weather and sea conditions are good we have unfinished business! get you a 20 lb da! PM me.....

I'm chomping at the bit to get back over there. Will do all I can to fit in a trip. PM you soon.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:06pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[IMG][/IMG]was a really young looking fish. Kids released a couple of fish in the 10kg range as well. Good crays Geoff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:43pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome Geoff! can't wait to get down that way! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 5:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sink sink wrote:

[IMG][/IMG]was a really young looking fish. Kids released a couple of fish in the 10kg range as well. Good crays Geoff.
Nice one Duane, there's the winner! He's not joking about his daughter-in pic and son have caught many Big SnapsWink.....Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 7:47pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow great story and amazing results, the Naki rocks as always Geoff!ClapClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:02pm
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

CryCryCry
And that's all I got to say on the matter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 4:15pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work Geoff,
I got one at 9.5kg last tuesday out of Raglan,

I do need to head a bit more south and get in on this Mokau Action!
http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz