No Excuses Starts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Excuses Starts
    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:31am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

'No Excuses' starts today! 13 councils will take action against boaties who break lifejacket and speed rules - including fines of up to $300, depending on each area’s bylaws.

The campaign runs until March - full details: https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/…/media-releas…/20181019a.asp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 9:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ran into a guy couple days ago.. *****ing about boats being checked out on the manukau...just checked not enforcing when dont meet standards
All I could say was.. I dont have a problem with that at all.

Less 'accidents'  more prevented, the less regulations imposed on those who are responsible skippers.

IF the do FINALLY start to issue fines etc, actually enforce the law and penalties, hope the same may happen with fisheries as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 9:26am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice to see Auckland council have finally joined in this initiative.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 10:16am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What I do not get is that it is over  any random 5 days?why not go the whole hog and hammer it full time using volunteers until a certain part of the boating gets the idea not to break the rules,how much time do you spend on educating??ads on tv about drunk driving but we still drinking/driving(loosely speaking)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 11:33am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

What I do not get is that it is over  any random 5 days?why not go the whole hog and hammer it full time using volunteers until a certain part of the boating gets the idea not to break the rules,how much time do you spend on educating??ads on tv about drunk driving but we still drinking/driving(loosely speaking)

People being people, the ones that speed or don't wear jackets will mostly carry on  doing it and the level of enforcement that is affordable will still miss a lot of them. Just like drink driving etc. So then you can up the level of enforcement because the problem isn't fixed, but then you need to pay for it. So then you up the fine levels and do more inspections to issue more tickets to make more money. All good except the guys who think they can't afford life jackets certainly can't afford big fines and then go and buy life jackets etc etc. Then we get boat registration fees to pay for enforcement costs.

How about parking a couple of guys at each boat ramp saying "show me your jackets" before each boat launches. They could have a stock of life jackets in their truck and a mobile eftpos machine. Be much cheaper than running a bunch of boats around at sea, and get better coverage, and handout other safety info about communications etc, plus hand out safe fish handling, seabird info as well. Then just need a smaller number of boats in key areas watching speeds. 

I hate the thought that we are going to end up funding a new enforcement agency whose job it will be to come and interfere with my limited time on the water. Once that gets established it won't stop at checking for life jackets on suspicious boats. It will become stop any boat you see and do a full 'safety inspection' then issue as many tickets as you can because we need the money to pay you.

Let's keep the focus on education and appropriate enforcement. Not create a maritime gorilla for soaking up public funds. 16 people died in recreational boating accidents last year. Not 1600, not 160. Most were males over 40 years old. Not children. What would happen if we didn't commit potentially $millions' to these campaigns and spent it on say childrens health care, or on better road safety etc? Would we save more lives?

I actually support what they are doing this weekend. Timing is right at early season, messages are right - jackets and speed nice and simple. Hopefully they have hit the boat ramps hard as well. Just hope this doesn't do the usually bureaucratic thing and grow into yet another overweight public office trying to justify it's existence at our cost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 2:36pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree 100% same as boat ramps around coromandel having fees. Most of the income made went to operational costs. In the end it was cheaper to not charge anyone. Win win. Tairua ramp works really well.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 5:38pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How about parking a couple of guys at each boat ramp saying "show me your jackets" before each boat launches. They could have a stock of life jackets in their truck and a mobile eftpos machine.

Almost describes the Coast gaurd life jacket traveling promotion  Thumbs Up

I hate the thought that we are going to end up funding a new enforcement agency whose job it will be to come and interfere with my limited time on the water. Once that gets established it won't stop at checking for life jackets on suspicious boats. It will become stop any boat you see and do a full 'safety inspection' then issue as many tickets as you can because we need the money to pay you.

Again agree.. I recon that rather than 'funding' this sort of stuff, and red light/ speed cameras.. they should be funded off the fines.. withfines of appropriate size to fund.
 As ppl get more 'educated' the funding the reduces, and the enforcement then reduces proportionally.
 Basically  user pays... not those who who comply..

Just hope this doesn't do the usually bureaucratic thing and grow into yet another overweight public office trying to justify it's existence at our cost.
And its looking that way a little..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:46pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It struck me in the weekend that the fishing shows have a role to play in this as well. I was catching up on a backlog of shows and saw two extremes. On Big Angry Fish the guys wouldn't take their life jackets off even when fishing from the Savoy - a 50 foot luxury cat! On Grand Slam fishing I saw three guys go out in a 10 foot tinnie, loaded with gear for a rockhopping mission - not a lifejacket in sight. One even fell in when trying to transfer gear to the rocks, the commentary talking about what a dangerous situation it was! 

"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:30pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Barbary B Barbary B wrote:

It struck me in the weekend that the fishing shows have a role to play in this as well. I was catching up on a backlog of shows and saw two extremes. On Big Angry Fish the guys wouldn't take their life jackets off even when fishing from the Savoy - a 50 foot luxury cat! 

They pretty much have to when they got given a funding grant to promote wearing life jackets.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No doubt pjc will be stepping up as volunteer for this task.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like the BAF attitude to PFDs myself.