spud gun surfcasting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Drag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spud gun surfcasting
    Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 7:45pm
Screaming Drag View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi all..Been doing a bit of surfcasting and was told about a aerosol powered spug gun for launching sinkers .Could anyone give me a few tips on how to get the sinker to fire from the gun.I tried putting the sinker on the spud but LOL the spud disintegrated.It would be nice to get over the waves.Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 11:02pm
Bungel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There was an old chap up a campsite i used to go to, he used one of them. He would sit with beer in hand and bazooka by his side and when ever he felt the urge to 'throw a line out' you would hear this almighty BOOM. More often than not he would catch a few fish on the 5 or so hooks he fired out.

Could you imbed the sinker in the potato? .. or use the potato as the sinker?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 2:11am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

think you'd get better distance just casting... also from memory these are considered a firearm so i'd check it with your local coppa's beforehand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 12holden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 12:46pm
12holden View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We have played with a spud gun, and found that a breakout type sinker pushed into the spud quite well, but It would only go as far as we could cast.  Some sort of rubber bung might work, but It may also make your sinker float.  Also make sure you have a firearms licence, as far as the law is concerned it is a firearm.  I have seen newspaper articles in the past on people charged with using one without a licence.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 12:51pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Half a tennis ball used as a cup and put down the barrel with the sinker in after the spud could be interesting.

Make sure the bail arm's open and the line is not tip wrapped!!!

Would be interesting slowing down the spool if using an overhead.

One of those model rockets could be the go. Some of them can travel huge distances... Could become an expensive exercise though.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 1:47pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would make an effective LB berley chucker I would imagine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote borrrris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 2:08pm
borrrris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Try using a 100mm coachbolt for the sinker and shoving that into the spud.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 3:11pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes it is considered a firearm so do take your licence....

Old guy I fished with once used to have big baits and wrapped the bait plus the sinker in toilet paper so it blocked the size pipe of the cannon...

Once fired and in the water the toilet paper disintergrates and your fishing. Cheap warehouse toilet paper is great for it.

Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 3:51pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What's a realistic distance you can achieve with this? If it is not capable of throwing sinker & bait consistently over 150m, you might as well purchase a good rod and improve on your casting technique. With all the preparations required, I'm also thinking there's a lot of time the bait is not spending in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 3:56pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon your reel is going to have to be able to off load line at a great rate. Otherwise things will be over pretty quick. It is more of an explosion than a smooth action afterall.

It's been tried before without a lot of success by the sound of it and I remember spud guns being discussed on here a while back.

I reckon if this was such a grand way of deploying your baits, you'd think every man and his dog would have them and they'd be for sale in the shops.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Krill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 3:57pm
Krill View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You dont need too big a sinker for a startoff. Most people when fishing use too much weight in most types of fishing and its no wonder they dont feel the fish and/or it gets away with the bait quite often. Sensitivity is what fishing is about as much as anything. I am still perfecting it as much as anybody but it is certainly one thing I have improved over the years. With a little bit of thought and practice you should be able to come up with a good setup. Probably thinking about the old fashioned apple corer and taking a core out puting your sinker in and replacing it is a good start.

We used to muck around with one of these guns up at Whgpa and we managed to get spuds up to 100 M. I believe you could probably get braid out as much as 80 M with traces if you really knew what you were doing and with experience and practice. You should certainly get 60 M. Most people cant cast past 40 M so it certainly as a system has potential.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Drag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 4:30pm
Screaming Drag View Drop Down
New User
New User

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.I say we will be learning as we go.Your replies have hichlighted a few avenues and a few pitfalls ....THANKS again its been a pleasure

TIGHT LINES

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 9:55pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A kite would be  amuch better option I would guess and its not likely to blow your arm off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wakatoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 11:37pm
wakatoa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Screamers, this is what you want mate, guaranteed no one else on the beach will have one - good for 90 metres. The ship I'm on at the moment has one of the larger ones that hurls a line over 200 metres but you wouldn't shoulder fire it.  http://www.restech.no/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 7:20pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fish your feet too SC...distance is not everything unless its a 3 m swell
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Krill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 8:21pm
Krill View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tobez, What about the 90 Mile Beach competition on right now? Distance would certainly help in that one in places. Its those sinkers landing fairly close that frighten the fish away half the time I think.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Dish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 8:58pm
Fish Dish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was talking to a guy who had made one of these spud guns, and he froze his sinkers in a container of water the right size to fit in the gun.

Once in the sea the ice melted off his sinker and he was fishing.

Think he used a spark plug and a battery in a system to fire his gun. Sounded quite sophisticated.

I met him when I was building an electric kontiki, and he said: "Nah mate , you need to build a spud gun."

I never saw it working but I am sure he said he could fire the ice ball out a couple of hundred metres.

I went on to build my electric kontiki - seemed safer somehow.

One more Kingie