Big issues or not.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big issues or not.......
    Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 9:52pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So I was out in the Kaipara today in my fc430 with 30hp murc 2 stroke
Due to a slight Electronics failure and and a mistake on my part we ran out of water at 20 knots oops we just slid nicely and no hard impact luckily
Not the 1st time it’s happened I always say you’re not a Kaipara local till you have run aground a few times lol
But this one was particularly bad due to the speed normally you are aware you are to shellow and have slowed down

On impact the boat nicely slid up on the bank (sand) but the skeg/prop took a pretty solid wack after waiting for the tide to come in abit and pushing the boat off the bank we re started the motor and headed for home
Hang on something is wrong the motor was making a strange noise and it had no power (just above Idol was fine) but any more than that it was amost like the prop was slipping
Thinking bugger done the gearbox/bottom end at the cost of hundreds and i had a estimated limp home for 2 hours at 6 knots!!!!
But strangely the issue Disappeared as fast as it started and we crused home at 15 knots with no strange noises and a motor that seemed to be 100%

It’s due for a service so I will get it checked just to be safe
But what do you think has gone on??
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:09pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Take it to your mechanic check to see if it selects forward and reverse smoothly you could have a bent shaft or damaged dog gear
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:42pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You may have damaged the prop rubber bushing. They give the feeling of slipping and that is exactly what happens. They dampen vibration but also protect your gearbox from prop impact.
Smaller displacement motors have a shear pin to protect the gearbox.
Definitely have it checked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 11:40pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

as above - could well be your bushing on the prop - when the go its a bit like a worn clutch on a car

you also need to drop the gearbox and get into the impeller/water pump- its likely ingested some sand which needs to be removed
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All my props a I mark with smal punch dot.
Be it hitting something, old age whatver, If those 2 marks each side of the rubber bush..you know something is wrong.
 Cost for rubber busch replacement is surprisingly expensive and need special press.

I spend a lot od time in shallow water, around rocks , banks , submerged tress etc, always have a alloy prop.. they bend easy, and hopefully before the gear box does.

Alloy props do flex a little, changing the pitch of a prop.. BUT only when moving heavy loads or bigger boats travelling very fast.. Still takes a lot of load on a alloy prop to have it flex.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 11:11am
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive got a new prop rubber bush i think its for a Johnson i will swoop it for 4 x 85hp Johnson 2nd pistons