New catch limits for 32 fish stocks

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New catch limits for 32 fish stocks
    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:46pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hot off the press - here's the Stuart Nash, the Minister’s decision letter re catch limits for 32 fish stocks:

Links:  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear Fishers,

The Minister of Fisheries announced new catch limits for 32 fish stocks on Wednesday. Following on from his announcement, he has released his decision letter today. 

To read his full decision letter, including the rationale for changes to specific fish stocks, such as tarakihi, Southern bluefin tuna and Kaipara scallops, click here.

The first section of the Minister’s decision letter is provided below: 

2018 October Sustainability Round

General issues 
A number of submitters raised a range of generic issues which apply to the legislative framework, fisheries management system and/or processes. The Fisheries New Zealand decision document contains a detailed analysis and response to these points. However, I will outline my views on some of some of the matters raised to provide some understanding of my view as the Minister of Fisheries. 

I continue to be impressed and heartened by the number of submissions I receive on fisheries issues, and the passion and capability of the people and representative organisations that submit them. I have taken the time to go through the advice presented to me by Fisheries New Zealand, which contains a summary of all of the submissions, in detail, from cover to cover. I have also specifically looked at a range of submissions in full so that I can be clear on the position of the submitters, and also because I was particularly interested in the detailed analysis and interpretation of my obligations that they contained. 

Timeframes for consultation 
A number of submitters expressed concern about the timeframe for consultation on options for changes to sustainability measures. I am advised by Fisheries New Zealand that the consultation timeframe is limited by a range of processes that provide input to the management process and the requirement to have measures in place before the start of the fishing year. In particular, the important role of the science working groups in reviewing the new scientific information that forms the evidence base for options on management changes. 

I understand these limitations. However, I am looking to trial a longer consultation phase for the next round in order to see if this meets the needs of key submitting stakeholders. I expect to see Fisheries New Zealand engaging meaningfully with stakeholders and iwi in order to ensure that information is made available and opportunity provided to work through problems and find solutions. Getting buy-in, or at least understanding, of management approaches is important for them to have the best chance of success. 

I am keen to make sure that we operate processes that ensure sufficient opportunity to have a say. I also support the idea of taking different engagement approaches to key shared fisheries, so that we can allow longer for discussion on changes and approaches. I have asked Fisheries New Zealand to review the sustainability measures process, to ensure that consultation approaches and timeframes are fit for purpose. 

Allowance for all other sources of mortality caused by fishing 
While reviewing the options presented to me by Fisheries New Zealand in final advice, it became clear that a consistent approach to calculating the allowance for all other sources of mortality caused by fishing was lacking. While I appreciate that the information to inform this allowance is, by its nature, uncertain, I believe it is reasonable to consider some basic criteria. To this end, I have made the decision to set an allowance for all other sources of mortality caused by fishing at a minimum of 10% of the TACC for inshore stocks that are taken predominantly by trawl.

I consider this allowance is likely to be highest in fisheries where trawl is the predominant method, based on the best available scientific, anecdotal and compliance information. I am aware that this information varies in quantity and reliability between species and areas. I also note that, in some cases, this information suggests that the allowance could be considerably larger than 10%, but I consider a generic 10% best reflects the overall level of uncertainty in this information across all of the stocks taken predominantly by the trawl method. Where there is particular information to suggest the allowance should be either higher or lower than 10%, then I will reflect that in my decision. 

I am keen that information to support the setting of this allowance is improved. I consider that the requirement to report all catch of stocks below minimum legal size as part of the introduction of digital monitoring is long overdue. I intend to create strong incentives to ensure mortality of fish below the minimum legal size is minimised so that these fish can recruit into our fisheries, and more importantly, have an opportunity to breed. 

Customary Allowance 
In setting a TACC I must set an allowance for customary non-commercial fishing, acting consistently with the provisions of the Treaty of Waitangi (Fisheries Claims) Settlement Act 1992. That Act provides that the extent of Māori rights and interests in fishing are to be provided through regulations made under the Fisheries Act 1996. 

I have considered the extent of customary non-commercial fishing conducted under the relevant customary fishing regulations, noting that some regulations do not require catches to be reported to Fisheries New Zealand. While acknowledging the uncertainty around the final figures in relation to current or actual fishing effort, I have made very few changes to the status quo. I would like future decisions to be based on better information on current or actual harvest and officials will consult on a way forward over the coming months. When better information on harvest becomes available, I will reconsider these allowances. 

Allocation 
In relation to allocation of fishing allowances between sectors, the Fisheries Act outlines, and the courts have confirmed, the considerable discretion that I have. There is no priority accorded any sector by the Act. I am also not obliged to meet any sector’s needs in full, and I can consider a variety of information in reaching a decision on how to allocate. I can give weight to the proportions of existing allocations or decide to alter those proportions based on a range of factors, including what might deliver best value from utilisation of the fishery. 

Having said that, I recognise that providing a level of certainty around the basis for allocation decisions is of benefit. Where stakeholders are able, I am open to giving weight to collective agreement around allocation through fisheries plans or other mechanisms. I urge stakeholders to consider the discretion afforded by the Act as an opportunity to work together to achieve their desired outcomes in relation to allocation. 

Shelving 
The use of shelving as a tool to achieve a reduction in commercial catch has been raised by both Te Ohu Kaimoana and industry in submissions and discussions since I became Minister. I understand the benefits associated with shelving from an industry perspective: it promotes collective action; it allows faster response to changes in abundance; it provides certainty around allocation decisions and it prevents possible issues associated with 28N rights. 

I am also advised by Fisheries New Zealand that, although there is ambiguity in the use of voluntary tools such as shelving and they are not directly referred to in the Act, they consider there is discretion for me to take planned shelving arrangements into account when making my decisions on a case by case basis. However, shelving cannot be used as a substitute for an appropriately set TAC as required under section 13. I take this to mean that shelving is available as an interim tool to reduce catch over a defined time period where, for example, there may be considerable uncertainty over the need for a change to the TAC and more information is being gathered. Obviously, if that situation arose then I would also need to be satisfied as to the risk of the TAC and TACC being fully fished, i.e. the certainty that a shelving arrangement would operate successfully, and the impact on the stock if it did not. 

I consider there is more policy work to be done in defining the circumstances in which shelving might be considered. I also note that wider consideration may want to be given to whether the Act currently reflects the value of shelving as a management tool adequately. 

Shelving has been proposed in relation to one stock under review as part of this sustainability round (east coast tarakihi). A proposal to shelve Annual Catch Entitlement was received from the fishing industry in relation to the four quota management stocks that include east coast tarakihi. I have considered the specific circumstances of that proposal and outlined my views on it, in the appropriate section below. 

28N rights
These rights were generated at the time of implementation of the Quota Management System in 1986. I am sympathetic to the frustrations of 28N rights holders who were allocated these rights in return for a reduction to their Individual Transferable Quota, and the concerns of existing rights holders who may not receive full return from their effort in ensuring sustainable utilisation of fisheries resources as a result of preferential allocation. I understand that industry and Te Ohu Kaimoana are working with Fisheries New Zealand on options for resolution. Once I receive a report from this process, I will then consider how best to address this longstanding problem, but I am serious in developing a methodology for resolving this contentious issue. 

Innovation 
I am determined to promote innovation in the way we manage and use our fisheries and the way we market products domestically and internationally. The way that the majority of inshore finfish are caught is largely unchanged since the 1950s. The way we operated then is much less acceptable now. Without change Government will be forced to intervene and also, as of recently, local authorities have acted to address local community concerns. 

I intend to create stronger incentives for innovation via strengthening of the legislative framework. Landing and discards will be a key focus. I am keen to work with all sectors and iwi on how this change might best occur. 

I understand Fisheries New Zealand is working with industry on how best to support gear innovation at the fisher, rather than company, level. I strongly support this work. I am personally aware of fishers driving to innovate, and I am sure there are large numbers of others that have innovative ideas, but need some help putting them into place. 

I have asked Fisheries New Zealand to advise me on how we might best encourage innovation. This is not just a job for Government, Fisheries New Zealand will need to talk to a wide range of people in preparing that advice. I look forward to receiving it in early 2019.  

To read the Minister’s full decision letter, including his rationale for changes to specific fish stocks, such as tarakihi and Southern bluefin tuna, and Kaipara scallops click here.

View the full consultation page here.

Please pass this information on to anyone who may be interested.  

Kind regards, 

Recreational Fisheries - Inshore Fisheries Management 
Fisheries New Zealand – Tini a Tangaroa 
Pastoral House | PO Box 2526 | Wellington | New Zealand
Web: fisheries.govt.nz

Contact us about Recreational Fisheries [email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:43pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just writing a few observations as I read through. 
Minister is making what seem like some reasonable initial statements given the position he is in. What I really dislike across the whole document is that the entire focus is on how the commercial fishing industry is affected. A little bit about customary fishing impacts, and rec fishing is just that other number (like wastage) that has to be included. It shows once again how ingrained in our governments the connection to comm fishing is vs the 100 times more people who fish recreationally. 

I have only commented on the stocks that either interest me or had some obvious discussion points that I observed. 

Kaipara scallop recreational closure seems sensible but lots of work to do on the sedimentation etc. I note customary fishing is still allowed and I personally think this could be a horrible slippery slope. Hopefully not

FLA1 Flatfish
He reduces the TACC (comms) by 25% and the rec take by 90%. New rec take might better reflect actual take so no issue unless this gets followed up with daily limit reductions or is a bad guess for stock management. What sticks out however is that after reducing the TACC by 25% he states that the comms have been unable to harvest the existing TACC by an average of around 60% over the past 10 years. So the new TACC is still well above what the comms can harvest which makes the 25% reduction meaningless in terms of improving the stock. So lots of work to come up with a strategy to help a declining stock and he does nothing.  FAIL

JDO1 - John Dory
The new TACC is about what the comms have managed to land over the past 10 years.  They haven't even looked like landing the prev TACC of 704T for the past 20 years and it has taken 20 years to make an adjustment. Still, at least we now have a change. The issue is that the change is at the current catch level so will do nothing to restore the stock which is quite obviously depleted. How can we spend $millions to do all these studies and then make stock management decisions that achieve nothing. FAIL

OEO4 - Oreo
The person who wrote and the person who edited and the person who checked the first paragraph need to go back to maths school unless I have read this wrong. How can such an important announcement come out with simple errors.

STN1 - Southern Bluefin
Increased TACC on what I thought is a critically endangered species. There is an explanation about international allocation etc so might be worth understanding what that is all about. Still feels like the attitude of "let's us catch them before the other guys do" rather than an approach focused on fixing an incredibly badly depleted fishery. Rec allowance had increased which is probably a true reflection on rec effort, but is to be followed by new boat and/or angler limits. Assume that isn't good news. Feels more like a FAIL than a pass

TAR1 - Tarakihi
24% reduction in TACC is way below what is needed and is coupled with a 77% reduction in Rec allowance. Says that rec allowance reflects current levels so again if not followed up by reduced daily limits and if not messing up the management decisions then no problem. Downstream though will this mean reduced daily limits to constrain the recs to this allowance if the stock rebuilds? That is a real possibility as when did you ever see rec daily catch limits get increased? What is also really disappointing is that all the discussion is about the impact on comms, with small references to customary. There is nothing but a routine passing reference to how important the fishery is to the major users of it which is the rec sector. What is encouraging though is that there is what might be a set timeline for more input before a more sensible cut to around 50% of the current TACC in 2019. Partial fail but I think it could be almost a PASS on the balance of things. I guess we will find out in a year from now whether the minister is serious about fixing things or just doing some 'political management' right now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reading thru, I get a feelking very similar to your comments Tagit.
I also get a feeling behind all this , that the documents/ letter should not be taken lightly... behind all this there is and will be some very serious implications..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:22am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A shuffling of figures.Totally ineffectual as Tacc is far in excess of actual catch landed in many cases. May simply bring overall catch more  into line with actual catch.The disproportionate and exaggerated cut in recreational allowance ,considering recreational take proportionally far less in the first place is obvious.
Translate this into much reduced bag limits for recreational ,could well be the next step. Hmmm.
Reflects the overall attitude that recreational fishing is of little importance. The point that recreational fishing could earn vast amounts of tourist dollars has again been missed. Obscured beneath the grey cloud of institutional thinking. Dont have to look far. Consider the hundreds of millions put into "feel good"  cycle lanes that are little used,and the almost zero dollars put in to much used public  boat ramps and facilities. Most are not even maintained enough to keep them in existing condition.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 12:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What does cut limits mean?? If you look at Terikihi cut recreationally from 652T to 221T how does that relate to allowable fish numbers?Under the July 2018 rules 20 Tarikihi allowed as per count for 20 finfish so how does it relate now??

Seems to me very generous mortality rate on overall stock,surely it is time to land all catch.
Just looking at the figures for red gurnard gone from mortality rate of 264T down to 61T now 61t = 6100 fish at 1kg or 0.5kg could mean 12000 fish discarded?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 1:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

What does cut limits mean?? If you look at Terikihi cut recreationally from 652T to 221T how does that relate to allowable fish numbers?Under the July 2018 rules 20 Tarikihi allowed as per count for 20 finfish so how does it relate now??

Seems to me very generous mortality rate on overall stock,surely it is time to land all catch.
Just looking at the figures for red gurnard gone from mortality rate of 264T down to 61T now 61t = 6100 fish at 1kg or 0.5kg could mean 12000 fish discarded?

Great question PJC, anyone know?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I read it to say that the new rec limit is just a better reflection of the current take because the fishery is so stuffed. My guess however is that if/when they hit the comms with a further 35% cut in 2019 the comms will demand a cut in rec daily catch limits and the government will roll over and agree. Let's see what happens I guess. 

When commercial overfishing trashes a stock, and for years the recs have been unable to catch their quota due to the heavy stock depletion, why shouldn't the burden of fixing the fishery fall completely on the comms and the TACC be managed appropriately? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:18am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting comments here guys.........Wink
whats are the priks doing to help restock the fishery?
remember pah farm.......Nz is blessed and the government doesnt put any of its revenue into a breeding facility for juveniles which i reckon would be easy to do.......If they can replenish the stocks of trout in the ponds on the shore....wtf ?
I am in crappy wa..........and i miss the fishing in nz.......one of the best places to fish in the world........any government there needs to treasure what it haves and protect for the future......Dont see that.Wink
           Australia is totally stupid.......they protect all their sharks and kill all their fish......the comms do well......fish is expensive in the shop.........the place is ****ing riddled with sharks and they all need to eat.......huge imbalance...lack of food for the sharks ....so they start eating humans who are dumb enough to swim in the sea.........Have no sympathy for whats going on......they love their sharks and dont give a **** about their fish......so it serves them right......end of rant.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 1:49pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

remember pah farm.......Nz is blessed and the government doesnt put any of its revenue into a breeding facility for juveniles which i reckon would be easy to do.......If they can replenish the stocks of trout in the ponds on the shore....wtf ?
I am in crappy wa..........and i miss the fishing in nz.......one of the best places to fish in the world........any government there needs to treasure what it haves and protect for the future......Dont see that.Wink
           Australia is totally stupid.......they protect all their sharks and kill all their fish......the comms do well......fish is expensive in the shop.........the place is ****ing riddled with sharks and they all need to eat.......huge imbalance...lack of food for the sharks ....so they start eating humans who are dumb enough to swim in the sea.........Have no sympathy for whats going on......they love their sharks and dont give a **** about their fish......so it serves them right......end of rant.

Jon you need to consider going back to NZ. It will make a happier place on both sides of the Tasman.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 4:00pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit.  The recreational harvest estimates used in this decision line up with those used in the stock assessment.  There is more confidence in the National Panel Survey results than the old telephone surveys, but yes there has been a decline in recreational catch of tarakihi.

The current National Panel survey winds up in a week and we will have new harvest esimates that will become the best available information.  The Minister should "allow for" current recreational catch next year.

The jury is out on whether commercial fishing industry can come up with an effective 10 year rebuild plan.  The Minister is giving them a chance to do that.  Hopefully we will not see the ususal stalling tactics and industry money wasted on trying to undermine the science.  We will be watching closely. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 4:26pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Great question PJC, anyone know?
Got the answer  this morning ,direct from Scott M

Bag limits remain the same and are subject to separate regulatory processes designed to constrain us to our ‘allowance’

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 5:48pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is a 66% reduction. 66% of 20 = 13. I feel sick. Would leave a combined total with snapper of 20 pp per day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:14am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Jon you need to consider going back to NZ. It will make a happier place on both sides of the Tasman.
Not really sure how to take this commentLOL but id love too but it would mean divorce bro LOL.....i ****ing hate this place but my mrs likes the heat.......the sacrifices we make for the fluffy bit.Ouch....plus the cops are worse than the flies over here.......have 10 points on my licence from OTT stuff they do.....dumb policing i tell you(revenue gathering)...Didnt have any on my nz licence...miss my bros from nz too.
Two shark attacks within 24 hours at the whitsundays.....so they drumline and kill 4 big tiger sharks in the area.....hmmmm.....I will leave this thread alone now.Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 4:07am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by John H John H wrote:

] Tagit.  The recreational harvest estimates used in this decision line up with those used in the stock assessment.  There is more confidence in the National Panel Survey results than the old telephone surveys, but yes there has been a decline in recreational catch of tarakihi.

The current National Panel survey winds up in a week and we will have new harvest esimates that will become the best available information.  The Minister should "allow for" current recreational catch next year.

The jury is out on whether commercial fishing industry can come up with an effective 10 year rebuild plan.  The Minister is giving them a chance to do that.  Hopefully we will not see the ususal stalling tactics and industry money wasted on trying to undermine the science.  We will be watching closely. 

John where does the data come from in the National Panel Survey? you say there has been a decline in recreational catch of Tarakhi. Yet I haven't seen any decline in my overall catch of Tarakihi, sure we have experience some slow days but on the whole most times we can catch our limit in less than an hour of fishing sometime even less time.
A lot of data that I have read doesn't seem to back up what I and many others see each time we go fishing so with a lot of these recreational surveys do many actually fudge what the say in order to paint a picture of doom & loom all because a lot of recreational dont like commercial fishing in any form, I certainly believe so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:11am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Originally posted by John H John H wrote:

] Tagit.  The recreational harvest estimates used in this decision line up with those used in the stock assessment.  There is more confidence in the National Panel Survey results than the old telephone surveys, but yes there has been a decline in recreational catch of tarakihi.

John where does the data come from in the National Panel Survey? you say there has been a decline in recreational catch of Tarakhi. Yet I haven't seen any decline in my overall catch of Tarakihi, sure we have experience some slow days but on the whole most times we can catch our limit in less than an hour of fishing sometime even less time.
A lot of data that I have read doesn't seem to back up what I and many others see each time we go fishing so with a lot of these recreational surveys do many actually fudge what the say in order to paint a picture of doom & loom all because a lot of recreational dont like commercial fishing in any form, I certainly believe so.

The terakihi catch rates have significantly dropped here in BOP/Coromandel, lucky to catch 5-6 in a day now when 4-5 years ago it wasnt hard to catch your limit. The trawlers hammer the terakihi spots at 30m right from Waihi up to Whangamata for months on end. No wonder there are no fish left.Angry
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 7:09am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snapper stocks up around colville have been steadily declining, either that or i have lost my touch..
I must have caught 30 fish on saturday, the biggest was still undersized. I tried all my usual spots, and more, they were there and biting, but all small.
Sunday, i headed south to coromandel , tucked in amongst the islands there and did fairly well, 7 nice keepers and a coulpe of big kahawhai.
I dont think the trawlers are allowed in there, and it shows..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:04pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Craig (Tzer) another thing you have forgotten about is you are fishing the Tar2 area, these changes are for Tar1 which is from Cape Runaway around the top to Raglan. So you are fishing a totally different commercial fishery area.

Out from Tauranga the inshore Tarakihi grounds are pretty shot, occasionally you will get onto them, but most times you will only pick up 3 or 4 for quite a few hours work. Even the guys who fish deeper grounds (>60m) are struggling to get good numbers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:35pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This tarakihi decision is different Vance. It is for the whole east coast on NZ North Cape to Otago. It splits TAR 1 in half as they don't appear to be part of the same stock. 
Spawning occurs in eastern areas and Cook Strait but most of the juveniles appear to end up off Canterbury (TAR 3). A few years latter they turn up further North Hawke Bay etc. and then a few years later in BOP with the oldest fish tending to be in east Northland.  There are a couple of strong year classes in TAR 2 at this stage, but not enough to rebuild the whole stock at current catch levels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:44pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Vance,  John. H comment didn't say that he was referring to TAR1 as to me he was  commenting as to the overall assessment of Tarakihi stocks.  Tarakihi is the main commercial stock fished on our coast and if things are as bad as the data says then surely we would  be seeing some sort of decline by recreational yet as I mentioned above what I see each time we're out  doesn't suggest that  Tarakihi are in trouble from a recreational view point.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 7:02pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Vance,  John. H comment didn't say that he was referring to TAR1 as to me he was  commenting as to the overall assessment of Tarakihi stocks.  Tarakihi is the main commercial stock fished on our coast and if things are as bad as the data says then surely we would  be seeing some sort of decline by recreational yet as I mentioned above what I see each time we're out  doesn't suggest that  Tarakihi are in trouble from a recreational view point.

Tzer - You can't use your own catches as representative of rec catches. You are a well equipped professional fisherman. Your competence level will be miles above the average rec guys. 

Like other charter operators here in Auckland I can go out and usually catch as many Snapper as I need. Most days here, most of the charter fleet will come back with as many fish as their clients want. Not always, but most days. Even right through Winter there have been far more trips with limit bags than trips that were hard.

On the other hand I talk most seasons at some point with the guys doing the ramp inspections here. If I say the fishery is fine, they look at me and suggest I try talking to all the rec guys they meet coming in with next to no fish. So basically the 'real' rec view here is that our Snapper fishery is very poor. 
If you are a skilled professional however there are plenty of fish. Hence the comms saying that there are plenty because they know the fishery so well, but the real test is how those average rec anglers find things and for them it has massively deteriorated and all they get are undersized fish.
Page  12>