Penn goldie hollow dacron query

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penn goldie hollow dacron query
    Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:10am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have discovered some reel corrosion deep inside my Penn gold 50Ws – around mid 90s era. Wasn’t there when I had them spooled on mono.  I am using hollow dacron, which drags in salt water. They get hosed down after every use, but I doubt that does anything for the deep down salt. I am totally sold on the dacron, but nothing is perfect – there has to be a catch – right? So I want to deal with the issue but am short on strategy. The simple approach would be to wind on to a tension spool, repair reel and wind back on under tension.  I have 700m approx. on each reel (x5). But I would like, if possible, to be able to wash (and dry) the line first. I am not sure if this will have any effect? Maybe next use will just pack salt deep down in the reel again? Anyone had to deal with this issue? To complicate the issue, I guess while I have the line off I should reverse it – been on about 4 yrs. I guess the new Penn Squall 50w (composite) deals with this issue. But at this point I am still married to my trusty gold 50Ws and hollow dacron.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:29am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use some chapstick, or canuba wax to coat the reel abour before you respool the dacron back on. It will create a barrier to reduce the amount of salt sitting on the reel abour
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:37am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

As above Alan. Coat spool with canuba wax.
How old is your dacron? most dacron do have a wax coating now so dont absorb water like they used to years ago but salt definately does get inside the dacron.
I just give mine reels a good wash down with warm water after each day but with a topshot of 200-300m of mono i dont think the water would penetrate that far down the spool to wash out salt water deposits. I Test my dacron every time i redo topshots and surprising that they have only dropped 10% breaking strain in 6-8 years. Was 37kg, now 32-33kg BS

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:41am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use a smear of Lanocote or even the spray on variety works pretty well too.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 4:42pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys - I had Lanocote in mind - but just a guess on my part.The wax may be more durable - but I will definitely coat the spool - didn't do previously.
Kaveman - mine is about 4 yrs old.
Any thoughts on trying to wash it while off the spool? The problem with that is I will probably have 700m of loose dacron, and not on a spool come re-spool time. Could be problematic. Worth it? Do you guys wash the stuff?
I only run 50m 80lb topshot mono - which I change each yr. So that won't keep much salt out. My dacron is in the water every time a fish is on.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 5:52pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Everyone who commented on this subject is onto it.
What there saying is protect the spool, wax, lanolin or marine grease.
Stay away from products that aren't natural.
You may also improve your your odds by using less absorbent line like hollow core.
Could be an advantage there.
Also as a yearly maintenance, take all the line off, re grease so to say and soak and dry line.
Or just replace the line you use.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:10am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Colonite insulator wax is my favourite. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 9:09am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where would you find the Colonite, or Canuba wax? Sounds like wax is the way.
Mattoo - it is hollow core. But looks like I have been remiss -  no coating on spool, and have not removed line for r&m. My bad. So looks like I should be washing it too. Bit of a process - but all these things come with some price to pay.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 10:47am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you feel inclined to wash the Dacron, find an appropriate sized spool onto which the line will fit. Use a battery drill and large bolt washers and nuts ....and wind the line off the reel, this will mean the line that was at the bottom of the reel is now on top of the spool. 
 Place the spool in a bucket of water with a brick on it for as long as you like.
 Address any corrosion on the spool carefully, coating exposed aluminium with a dab of clear nail varnish, allow to dry and then use your preferred barrier on the arbour, ie canuba wax etc...  attempt to dry the line before respooling the line, a dehumidifier in a small room, leave the spool in a room with the airconditioning on for a few days etc, re spool and have at it
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 1:26pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good advice - thanks. looks like it will be a slow process. But I have 5 and generally only using 3. So I can cycle my way thru them. 
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 1:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

There's a crowd called Swifty that makes these spool sets especially for washing spectra.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 2:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thank you. Good info. I am back in NZ this w/end for a few weeks. Will chase it up. Have spare space in my return suitcase right now. You would not believe what comes back with me. Virtually zero clothes. Fishing bits - crimps/hooks/mono/lures/reels, bits for chainsaw/lawnmower/ute/outboard/house (3000 roofing washers this time). 'Out of stock' is a common phrase here. But my bag will have space for a spool or two.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:22pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ask I reflect on this conversation I realise the down falls.

Titahi is on to it. But I think the underlying issue here is ourselves.

I'm a stickler for maintenance, but still feel that err to doing it until I'm in the process and then find satisfaction in the result as I realise the value of my efforts.
It is also the time that I strip all my reels and rods and rebuild. I'm always amazed at what I find even though I thought I'd had put in preventative maintenance.

I think that what I'm saying is that we spend good money on our tools and we spend an enormous amount of time and cash trying to catch our quarry.
Even the smallest things can fail and be the detriment to our season, we curse ourselves for our lack of maintenance on our tools.

I'm just saying what many have before us, that our opportunities are slim and the loss or failure of gear can be the lifetime opportunity lost but we err as humans to be blaize

We are lazy, but if we want to be winners we just have to bite the bullet and do the mundane.
We do receive value from this, we gain knowledge and confidence in our gear.

I for one like to catch the fish of a lifetime,
So I will continue to push myself to do the mundane to reward myself the prize.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:22pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo, I totally agree. I do everything that I think I need to do. If a knot looks 'not quite right' I do it again. Close enough is not good enough. These big fish will find the weak link. Every time. There can be none. I was shocked to see corrosion down in the reel as line was screaming off, flicking bits of crap off the reel. I was unaware that I should have put a protective coating on the spool. So now more maintenance in the schedule. I put these things on a list for the windy days/sometimes weeks I can't get out. It is just a matter of having a regime that works. And sticking to it. I just bought a label printer and now have stickers on the reels with the dates I have changed the topshot. So I know, and to make me do it regular. Looks like peeling the line off is going to be an annual job too.
I lost a marlin the day after landing the Y/F. Broken top shot. First broken line in 4-5 yrs since switching to the current set up (line/terminal end etc). I am gutted - mainly over the broken line (and lost lure). The fish was going back anyway. I still ponder why it broke - not at the terminal/swivel. I do suspect there were two fish after the lure tho - a bigger one seemed to scream in from the side after a smaller one had first crack. Wondering if the main line took a hit during that. There was a bit of chaff/rasp just above the break. But you can leave nothing to chance. Totally agree. If you have a weak link, they will find it. And the hrs spent chasing these fish, not worth leaving something to chance. part of the game.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 5:57pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan,
You get it.

Gamefishing, or fishing successfully relies on our tools, our intellect and our committment to our goal.

Gamefishing is a hard task of our ability to be durable.
We spend hours trying to be successful, and this can either be a brief and dissapointing result or an immensely rewarding achievement.

It is unlike other coastal fishing where a result is generally expected and often achieved.

We can only hope that conversations like these are read by others, understood and implemented.

However our very human nature means that for most we will fail, before we decide we need to do better.

Such is life.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 6:09pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree completely. I have spent decades trout fishing and saltwater fishing. Enjoy them both. Came to gamefishing late (last 5-6 yrs). It is the challenge that interests me. It is my focus now - above all other fishing. They are always up for it. You get skunked some days - and they deserved to win. They test you to the limit.  And when you win, it is well deserved and satisfying. I didn't mind loosing the last marlin - they are entitled to their day. But I do take a gear failure personally. And will think long and hard about what I could have done better. There is the challenge.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 12:36pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

There's a crowd called Swifty that makes these spool sets especially for washing spectra.

They look like the business. Another addition to my pile of fishing essentials :-)
I don't seem to be getting any Google hits for NZ. Any idea if they are stocked in NZ?
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

They look like the business. Another addition to my pile of fishing essentials :-)
I don't seem to be getting any Google hits for NZ. Any idea if they are stocked in NZ?
Thanks
Alan

Nah they seem like a southern California thing, I'm not even sure you can get them there any more, now I have looked harder. I have the spool halves only but not the cage for washing. Try Charkbait or Meltons in California.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will do. If that doesn't work, I will try and invent something. Basically need something the water can penetrate right through. I guess drilling out a regular line spool may do - but their design looked good.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Will do. If that doesn't work, I will try and invent something. Basically need something the water can penetrate right through. I guess drilling out a regular line spool may do - but their design looked good.
Thanks
Alan

Nothing that a Plastic bulk line spool and a hole saw wouldn't fix.
Page  12>