Marlin - rod, reel question

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin - rod, reel question
    Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 3:49pm
Yababy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am very new to this marlin fishing so i am going to ask many stupid question before the season start
Your views on the following please

Am i best to
A) Buy 1 x good rod reel combo (Shimano Tiagra 50) and only tow 1 x lure plus teaser behind the boat

Or B) Buy 2 x cheaper rod reel combos (Shimano TLD50) and tow 2 x lures plus teaser 

My gut feel is more lures in the water = more fish, but cheap gear is cheap and what cost losing a fish to save a few bucks........

More info, looking at 24kg, Standup gear. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 4:39pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The average Stripey that you are most likely to catch is very manageable on a well maintained TLD50. You might struggle if a large Blue etc gets on it. Most people would prefer to tow 4 to 5 lures, but 3 would be quite normal from a boat with no outriggers. 
You could look at less expensive new gear or some less cosmetically good but mechanically sound used gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:17pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with above. I use 3 rods when on my own - plenty really. Used to tow 5 but gave that up - chaos on strike and one in boat. Forget double strike.
How much for the TLD 50s? Ideally 3 well used/maintained Penn game 50W would cover you totally - what I use.(Swordfish steve)
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:42pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No real experience from me - have lost a stripie and a blue so take my comments with a grain of salt.  Peter Pakula (and those that I've fished with who have fished with him) talk about the spread being the answer, not a rod and a lure.  Always better to be `in the game' on a cheaper set than on the couch. They catch Blues and Swords on handlines off canoes in the Pacific Islands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

TLD50 option. I'm no game fisherman but I have weighed plenty of fish for people on lesser reels. I am still happy using my Penn 9/0 Senator in the mix of TLD50's, and International/Tiagra. 

People will tell you otherwise but any of those reels as mentioned in good order will do the damage. It is also true that no one regretted buying quality. It is even more true that you won't catch a fish without hooks in the water.

Buy the best gear you can afford and it that is TLD 50's and you lose a fish it wont be because of the gear. 

I once weighed a marlin for a guy, from memory it was 110kg and he had a snapper swivel tied to 24kg  line that had gone opaque with age on an old butterworth rod with 3 or 4 guides. The reel was a Chinese bond 30w  that had the lumpiest drag
I've ever seen on a 'big' reel. The lure was very budget too but they got the fish. while i don't recommend that approach, these boys caught their first marlin that day.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would livebait. Stuff trolling. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 2:31pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I would livebait. Stuff trolling. 

x2 if budget is a issue
even 30 wides with braid will get you a marlin. maybe not a blue, but im sure guys have got them on 30s
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:03pm
Yababy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all your reply's
Timing was perfect as Rebelsports had a sale ending today
I Would normally spend money at a tackle shop as i am not a fan of the big stores
but....
TLD50s with rods at $374.00 each, rods are not the greatest, but these can be updated when the wife is not looking
So off to the shops in the weekend for a few small bits
Lures
Teasers
Line
Leader
Swivels
Gaff
Gimbel belt
Gloves
Crimping tool
Hooks
Welcome bat
Bolt cutters
Oooooh crap, this may take some planning....   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:40pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TLD 50s are fine for striped marlin. At one stage I ran three of them caught plenty of stripes on them to 130 kg, Was spooled once on a blue that was to my mind 300 kg plus ( certainly lot bigger than my my best landed on 24kg on a 50 size tynos reel that went 230 kg) . The fish that spooled us on TLD 50 would probably done same on tiagra 50 wide, wasn't even close to slowing down.
Other stuff.... is important as constitutes being prepared.
Buy gardening gloves they are cheaper, buy largest cheap crimpers you can find. Buy some 200 lb nylon trace for smaller marlin lures and 300 lb nylon for larger lures, unless intend running huge lures which would be silly on TLD 50s, don't buy buy expensive lures (but get at least one lumo and one black and purple) but buy decent swivels and good hooks and crimps,, Maybe invest in a black magic harness.and gimbal. Buy the biggest fixed head gaff you can or make one, biggest hook you find and stout pole and few hose clamps. When you want to kill a marlin put it through the gills or if really accurate go through the eyes... or even better tag and release. Tag poles are cheaper than a good gaff. I use both .. the gaff less so these days. Mainly because I run a Suzuki outboard ... which keeps fish away from my boat as opposed to the old yamhi which had fish almost crawling up on to the transom.
Good luck ... gamefishing is a terrible sickness if it takes hold and will take years of servitude to be rid of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Moving to westcoast soon.. have been thinking about posting a similar thread...
 Our experiance to date has been trolling around in sons boat..
Most of the conservation between us (Son , Son in law and myself)  
"if we hook one .. what do we do next?"
and
" If get to boat, what happens next so dont tip the boat over"

We picked up a few skippies that day, and saw a bill fish 50 ogg meters out off the stern...us going one way him the other..
Thats our experience to date Wink

So All the question, and info is being followed with great interest.
 Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 4:48pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In my earliest game-fishing time, off Raglan, Only had 1 Okuma lever drag with 24 kg line and a 24 kg jig rod - all well looked after and properly maintained. Just 1 lure, too - a freebie, slant head Boone from Fishing news in yellow green.
Got a 120 kg stripie 10 minutes after putting lure in water...go gloves, gaff, just a snapper landing net. It died in 50 metres as we took our time in the 15 ft tinnie but we got it back to surface - good knots!
2 weeks later we went out again but had 2 marlin lure out. This time marlin hit an albie lure on a 15 kg jig rod and TLD 25 with 15 kg. Tagged it, then an exact repeat 2 weeks later on same Williamson lumo jet head. Those 2 were much smaller but no problem on the TLD25.
My 2 Tica 30TWS reels - 1 on 15 kg - 16 marlin and the other has had 11 on braid - not just me but mates on my gear.
Never had any issues with 15 kg.
Maintain your gear, sharpen hooks, check lines and make sure that if you put a skippy line out that it's capable of landing a marlin.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:35am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm also new to this last season. I bought two 2nd hand Tica 50w 2spds fully rollered and a new LRS50 2spd rollered and have a 6/0 rollered .All are 24kg and a TLD 30a. A selection of 12 popular lures and a couple of bungies . I bought 2nd hand 3.6metre riggers and a Black magic harness with a large gimbal belt. ....It was a reasonable 2nd hand budget deal but now I'm receiving a total knee replacement next week grrrrr
Hopefully I will be mostly recovered by mid December.
Also the required crimps rigging gear, and other stuff required, to give it a nudge!
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 9:06am
junior fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Theres heaps of used gear around just after Xmas. Seems people buy up large, then never use or use it bugger all over the holidays. I bought 4 Penn VSW50's, 2 used in excel nick and 2 that have never been used. All on rollerised rods with string for $2200. Bargains are out there 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 7:25pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What you really need it two Taigra's and one TLD50....guaranteed to catch plenty of marlin on the TLD50 that way I have heard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 8:17pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would second the earlier recommendation of Black Magic belt and rod holder thing. Invaluable.
A mate just bought a Penn 50W (graphite reel I think). Looks to be real good value. Will check on reel specs.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 8:47pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yep  re Black Magic Gimbal Belt. I did some research and exchanged my Large for an XL.....I'm pleased Thumbs Up

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:55am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The harness (if you don't have one) is equally useful. highly recommended.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:45am
Platinum
Platinum

Just get the full package. ...

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:14am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing wrong with Tld30's and Tyrnos30's backed with braid and a short 50m topshot of mono. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Duane43992 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 10:11am
Duane43992 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

Nothing wrong with Tld30's and Tyrnos30's backed with braid and a short 50m topshot of mono. 
Yep a bit underrated reels I reckon. Great for stripes and awesome for kids to use.[IMG][/IMG]