Small Boat Hire - Northland (Te Paua/Te Hapua)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FrangaFry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Boat Hire - Northland (Te Paua/Te Hapua)
    Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 12:36pm
FrangaFry View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

G'day, my name is Carlton Fry and I am from Ozzy (Melbourne). It's been a while since I have been on this site as I have not had a chance to fish for ages ..............but, you guys have been sooooooo helpful in the past, I was hoping to pose a question about small boat hire up north.

My family and I (wife, 2x ruggies 12 and 3, plus a brother in law) are heading to Northland for a few weeks in late Nov. 

The wife, ruggies and myself have a camper van booked for 5 weeks - Oct 27 to Dec 1 (this will be our 5th trip to your fair shores - just love what you guys have!).

We will spend the first 2 and half weeks taking a look around the bottom/middle of the north island and then head up to Northland for the last 2 and half weeks (where the brother in law will fly in, get his rental and meet us for some rock and beach missions).

For the last 2 weeks (late Nov) we plan on spending some time in and around, Paua (Te Paua), Spirits, Tapotupotu hunting for some kings and snaps off the rocks.  We have been in and around this area a few times over the last few years and we are gagging to get back for some relax, some brews and some fishing.

In the past we have spent a bit of time at Te Paua and would love to spend some more time there, but fishing without a boat is a little restrictive (have done both with a boat and without and having a boat gives soooooo many more options). 

As a result, we are exploring boat hire specifically for the Te Hapua harbor and in particular for the Te Paua end of the harbor (not looking at getting outside the heads - bugger that!! - been there once before and not a chance in hell I would do it again); We just want a run around to get us to the other side and to give us some options to do some ballooning for Kings and stray lining for snapper around the channels and mangroves etc).

We are not looking for a huge boat but instead a smaller run about.

Although there are 5 of us, I can't see the wife and small ruggy wanting to spend much time in the boat (maybe as a taxi to the other side), but for me, the brother in law and my bigger one (12), we might spend a bit of time checking the harbor out.

I've dropped a few e-mails to some hire joints out of Auckland, but I am not that hopeful given we probably can't tow given the van we will use (brother in law probably can't tow either but we are looking into this) so we would be interested to find out if there are any drop off and pick up services that far north (Te Paua)?

I'd love to hear back from anyone with some thoughts or even options as I think the addition of a boat would make the trip to Te Paua really special (we would only use the boat for Te Paua and not be interested in any blue water action.)

Thanks guys

Carlton Fry
Live every day like it's your last and try to regret nothing......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 1:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Franga, yep, it is a great part of the world alright. Hiring a boat up that way will be a big ask, but no harm in trying I 'spose. You should know that the boat access to the beach at Paua (not Te Paua) has been cut off. I am totally unsure about the camping situation. Boating on Parengarenga has suddenly become a whole lot more difficult as a result. Kayaks and walking might be your best bet. Sorry for the news...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FrangaFry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 1:12pm
FrangaFry View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh bugger! Ouch

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know if you can still get the key to the gate from the local shop? I'll touch base with them and see what the go is.

Cheers,

Carlton

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 2:24pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The hire situation is likely to be an issue. I don't know of anyone that does self drive hire that far north other than the occasional motel etc that might have dinghies for hire to their guests. We use to fish Parengarenga in a 13ft dinghy and that worked fine for 4 of us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 2:54pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Key from the shop is no longer available according to all reports. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FrangaFry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 11:58pm
FrangaFry View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh bugger, it just gets worse ........... oh well ....

Back to Plan A:
- Hendersons Bay
- Spirits Bay
- Toputaputa
- Maybe a big F'off walk to the back of Cape Rienga

Plenty of walking options .......

I love a surf mish as well as a rock mish, so plenty to think on ..........

Any ideas/suggestions from you helpful folk ............ Beer

Thanks for the quick feedback guys - greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Carlton - AKA - FrangaFry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:11am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe you could find a charter boat to take you out , book well in advance . Put you onto some big kingfish , snapper .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 7:34am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Franga, If your North Island cruising before heading Far North includes State Highway three out West on way to New Plymouth. Look me up i may be able to get the blokes out for a big snap Mish! on my mates boat. Wife and kids can fill the day in exploring around Mokau with Heidi- my Wife.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:25am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Te Paki stream has also been closed for vehicles lately due to being scoured out by high rainfall this winter. So that makes access to the 90 a bit niggly. May have come right by October, would pay to check when you first get up there.

A walk to Maria if the conditions are decent on the West should be on your list for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FrangaFry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:01pm
FrangaFry View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

G'day Geoff, sorry for late reply mate.... not been back for a spell ...

Thanks for the offer mate, i'll definitely look you up if I am down that way (good chance I might be too)....

Cheers,

Franga